electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Just a little clarification if possible
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Just a little clarification if possible
Subject description: For someone whose brain has been addled by trying to design a Klee panel
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks

I bought a pair of Klee pcbs a few months ago now and am gradually designing a front panel.

I've spent some time reading and looking around and am still puzzled by a couple of things.

Am I right in thinking that the Klee has no internal clock so relies on an external clock signal? If so what is the purpose of the Clock Enable switch? Is it effectively just an On/Off switch or does it have some other use which I'm missing? Presumably when the clock is not enabled it just stops.

Then I'm puzzled by the whole Loading area. I understand the momentary Load switch. You make a pattern which does nothing useful until you load it by hitting the switch. What is puzzling me is what advantage there is to the External Load jack and its Enable switch and the Bus 1 Load switch. Are they doing the job in a fundamentally different way? I'm fairly sure I'm missing something important and possibly obvious here.

As I'm in that stage of trying to make my panel logical it would really help me to understand what I'm likely to be using each control for.

Hope I'm not being too dense - this Klee thing really does strain my brain but I'm getting there - gradually!

Many thanks,

Ian
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there.

The Klee does not normally have its own clock. That doesn't prevent you from adding one, but I didn't bother with one in mine, as I have plenty of other clock sources.

You need the Clock Enable switch as it gets used to disable clock when you're setting the thing, using manual step.

Quote:

Then I'm puzzled by the whole Loading area. I understand the momentary Load switch. You make a pattern which does nothing useful until you load it by hitting the switch. What is puzzling me is what advantage there is to the External Load jack and its Enable switch and the Bus 1 Load switch. Are they doing the job in a fundamentally different way? I'm fairly sure I'm missing something important and possibly obvious here.

Load is one of those functions that's essential to the Klee, understanding it helps you work it in the ways that make it a unique kind of sequencer. The momentary Load switch loads whatever pattern you have set on the switches. External load lets you use an external gate to do the same thing, so if you're using the Klee in a more complicated timing setup you can have it load patterns via that route. Bus 1 Load is simple, meaning that it causes the load to occur whenever Gate Bus 1 triggers (meaning it loads every time it encounters a Gate 1 Bus switch set). This can make very interesting patterns, even more so if you use the random function.

Reading the "Getting to know your Klee Sequencer" document is a good idea, as it goes into great amounts of detail on these subjects. But that said, the various Load functions are summarised above.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many thanks for that. I have read "Getting to know your Klee" a time or two and understand most of it. Just struggling to envisage the whole loading thing without doing it. I've no doubt that once I DO it a time or two all will become clear. Also just drowning in switches, pots and jacks. It all takes a bit of understanding!

The question puzzling me is what happens when the pattern is re-loaded on each external load clocking or gate 1 trigger? Does that start it back to the beginning of the cycle or does the pattern just remain the same until you change the switching followed by loading once loading is automatically triggered by either of those 2 methods? I suspect I'm over complicating the issue Smile

For now I just need to trust that the inputs and switches are there for a reason. add them to my panel in reasonably sensible looking places.
Once the panel's sorted I can start on pcb stuffing and then will probably spend much of the Christmas holidays making up all of those blooming cables. Fun times!

Many thanks for the help - the Klee looks wonderful but it's a baffling beast, at least to begin with!

All the best

Ian
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

The question puzzling me is what happens when the pattern is re-loaded on each external load clocking or gate 1 trigger? Does that start it back to the beginning of the cycle or does the pattern just remain the same until you change the switching followed by loading once loading is automatically triggered by either of those 2 methods? I suspect I'm over complicating the issue

every time the pattern reloads, you reset to step 1. For instance just for grins I set gate 1 on switch 9, and patterns 1 and 5 and toggled bus 1 load on, and now I have 2 sets of lights 1-4 and 5-8 cycling. The act of loading resets the step sequence, in other words.

The Klee is a very complicated build, definitely the most complicated panel I've ever done. The boards themselves aren't that bad but oh, that panel.

Take your time and think it out. Do make sure your load and step pushbuttons are rugged and group them somewhere you can get at them as you'll use them a lot.

Good luck with your build, by the way. It's an amazing piece of kit.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"The act of loading resets the step sequence"

KLONK

The penny finally drops - thank you - the magic word is Resets which I guess I should have realized previously but the whole thing does baffle me a bit!

I will certainly not be hurrying this one - no rush at all - but am really looking forward to getting it finished and making some sounds with it.

Many thanks for the clarification. I know what I'm doing now - just need to get on with it!

All the best

Ian
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even after I finished my prototype, I was still working out exactly what it did. I still am. Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: