electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
How Much Randomness is Too Much?
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: How Much Randomness is Too Much? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to use generative elements in composition, but I find myself struggling with some questions that I wanted to to open up to you all:

How much randomizing is too much?

Is a composition that is 100% randomly generated still a composition?

Where do you draw the line on non-human input?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

100% random is white noise I'd think ... which may be a bit boring to serve as music ... at least I'd want to structure that a bit maybe with amplitude changes, and filter it a bit, making it less than 100% random.

I don't really know how much random is actually left in the generative stuff I make, not too much I think ... but it's a balance for me, not enough randomness tends to make repetitive things where all I have available is short sequences .. of say up to 128 steps.

cbm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Constraints are what turns randomness into composition. Every decision can be made randomly, if the constraint framework is in place to make those random decisions interesting. The constraint framework is the score which the random processes improvise upon.
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good point! 100% would be white noise. Very Happy

I am not exactly sure how to say it. I wonder what others who have bare using noodles, field recordings or other generative sources think about how much of the work is the source and how much is them.

Last edited by Jack_Hertz on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
The constraint framework is the score which the random processes improvise upon.

Very, interesting take.

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW. Not to make a case, just what's on the extreme end. Look at something like WolframTones. If you click that link, it will play something based on no decisions other than to click the link. http://tones.wolfram.com/generate/
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack_Hertz wrote:
FWIW. Not to make a case, just what's on the extreme end. Look at something like WolframTones. If you click that link, it will play something based on no decisions other than to click the link.

There were lots of decisions made before something is generated w/ Wolfram. The system has rules regarding most aspects of the music. The rule framework provide the recognizable styles, while much of the specifics of exactly what to play in those styles is randomized.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
100% random is white noise I'd think ... which may be a bit boring to serve as music ...

Don't listen to this guy. He's made a career on making random noodle muzak!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

All HAIL to the sample and hold!! Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
There were lots of decisions made before[...]

When playing "random notes" you'll have to decide about several things ... what pitches will will you allow, is there a relation between previous and future pitches, how short can a note be and how long, when will a note play and when will no notes play, what "instruments" will it use, how will it be modulated during it's existence, and how will all those things change over time.

cbm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totally agree. My software step sequencer, Gyre, has the ability to control many of these parameters.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
Gyre

Looks like a nice one!

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sometimes you have to decide. Sometimes I find myself starting with something random to give me a choice of possible directions. Which do end up being rules / decisions at some point.

FYI. I wasn't aware of a term, but it was pointed out to me that "Aleatoric Music" is the term for music based on chance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleatoric_music

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
cbm wrote:
Gyre

Looks like a nice one!

Whoa, its massive. One of these daze I will get a handle on Max.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I start with something random, and then cut it down by imposing restrictions - making wheighted selectors etc. However, I am often surprised at how little I need to restrict before I start to enjoy it, spending 10 minutes listening to something that is obviously random. I'm easy to please I guess.

/Stefan

[Q]

Audio files: 57

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great thread... Thought provoking..

I like Chris' concept of a Constraint Framework. Smile
so I started a new thread so as not to disturb the flow here.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-344832.html#344832
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

underpinned by a rhythmic, and therefore non-random counterpoint, but nether the less, I found it quite fitting to post... (I couldn't find side 1 which I personally prefer!);

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's always intent behind the decision to use randomness, and I'm not sure that is purely random.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to add a bit of randomness/ chaos to self-generating parts of a performance to make them more interesting

Too much randomness for me would be where the end result is too unpredictable for me to play along

Mongo1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just my $.02 - the human brain looks for patterns constantly. It needs patterns. If no pattern is present it looks for one anyway. If you give people a sample of white noise and ask "Did you HEAR that?", they will generally believe they DID hear something - maybe it's an alien or a ghost, but they'll find it whether it exists or not.

When the brain cannot find a pattern, it eventually gives up. When you go to the ocean and listen to waves, you relax. I think it's because your brain gives up and finally just decides to switch off a little bit. The same thing happens when any truly random white noise is experienced. The wind in the desert causes the same relaxation.

On the other hand, when the brain is actively searching for a pattern, and it finds one, it relaxes and feels better. But - if the pattern is repeated too much, the brain becomes bored - it starts looking for variation again. If the pattern persists, the brain ignores it and looks for something else.

So it's clearly a balance. The pattern forms the basis, and the randomness keeps it fresh. Our brains seem to be actively engaged only in this middle zone. If there is no pattern, we ignore it. If there is too much of a pattern, we ignore it. I guess that makes sense from a survival skills perspective.

Gary
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: