electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Skreeeeeeech - Bang!
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The spheres, though way cool and interesting, are expensive due to all the labor involved, however there is another object, the scale maille flower, that offers a really good compromise between cost and value. The flowers are shown in the photo below.

I just received the first flower kit and boy am I excited about it! I can make a flower in under 20 minutes and each has only $2.00 in parts and shipping, so I can sell them for say $5.00 each which people seem to think is a fair price. The flowers are suitable for wearing in hair with a bobby pin, on a necklace, or lapel pin, or even as a source material for other projects. How about synth dials with glued on maille flowers, lol.

Not to sell in schmooze, which i think is a no-no, but the thread did wander in that direction... Jan might slap me on the wrist for that one like an angry school nun with an itchy wooden stick! Oh my!

But anyway, the real goal here is to work with the elderly in my physical rehab facility and i met with the activities director about the flowers today. We are going to set up in the cafeteria tomorrow between meals and make flowers with the residents. Should be fun and good therapy.

Les

KIT-scflwrLG-AA_tn.jpg
 Description:
Kit supplier's photo of the flowers that I'm making this year for gifts
 Filesize:  74.8 KB
 Viewed:  11728 Time(s)

KIT-scflwrLG-AA_tn.jpg

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think they'd make mighty nice holiday ornaments Les.The spheres look really cool for that,but I'm guessing they might be too heavy for your typical holiday tree branches to support? The flowers look like they are probably lighter.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
I think they'd make mighty nice holiday ornaments Les.The spheres look really cool for that,but I'm guessing they might be too heavy for your typical holiday tree branches to support? The flowers look like they are probably lighter.

Yes, the spheres are definitely way too heavy for putting on the ends of the branches so they are more for display. I can make them in any reasonable diameter, including a large-ish basket that I created which my mom claimed when I moved to Texas. The flowers are nice and light and could be used as ornaments. I have assembled two flowers so far and they turned out quite nice indeed.

I also figured out that in anodized aluminum, the supplier offers all the colors required to make a set of pool balls with the stripes and solids plus the cue ball - not for playing of course, for display. That would cost in the low hundreds of dollars for a full set though, so I may save that endeavor for later next year if I do it at all. Nice to know you can do it though.

Les

audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice flowers. Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A lot of good stuff has happened since the last post. My first customer in the chainmaille was from electro-music and reports satisfaction with the order. Since then I have taken about $250 in orders, half of which are filled, from employees and residents of the rehab center! I'm making about $10 an hour which is not much but anything above zero is great for a hobby.

My latest creation is a little bit innovative. It's a Full Persian cross pendant as shown below in the computer generated image from Second Life (better than a photo sometimes). The closeup shows the particular method of joining the four pieces of Full Persian Weave in a really useful way.

This joining method is simple and elegant in that it can create rigid crosses that do not droop their arms when hanging as a pendant. There are as many ways to do this as there are Full Persian crosses it seems, all of them somewhat of a kludge - except for this one (if I do say so myself, heh).

What's nice is not just it's use in making Full Persian cross pendants, but also as a general purpose method of joining Full Persian at 90 degree angles. In that sense this joint adds to the knowledge base of chainmaille (or so I believe at this point), making it an innovation.

The crosses are available in two sizes and many colors, IM me for details if you would like one.

Les

note: slight error in the ring positions, will fix soon.

FullPersianCross_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  567.83 KB
 Viewed:  298 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

FullPersianCross_001.jpg

FullPersianCross_003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.36 KB
 Viewed:  288 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

FullPersianCross_003.jpg

audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! I may refer crafters to you. I see a lot of potential for incorporating your chain maille creations into other things. Cool
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Nice! I may refer crafters to you. I see a lot of potential for incorporating your chain maille creations into other things. Cool

OK Damien, I'm happy to work with them.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: a lot has happened in my maille world (at the expense of music but there is a time for everything i guess), and I just created a web site to show off my wares. Here's the link:

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/profile/LesHall

I created a Full Persian Cross design which I believe is unique and elegant, plus makes a generic joint for any Full Persian sculptural object. And the really big news is that I thought up a way to represent the over 1,000 chainmaille weaves as math equations, which means we can now apply the study of mathematics to the theoretical searching and find lots more weaves plus characterize them properly - amazing! Oh, and sold about $400 worth of stuff so far!

Les

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Cool Cool

Impressive!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, dude! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks and the latest thing is I'm set up with ustream.tv so I can give chainmaille demonstrations any time (well, night time is best for bandwidth reasons). If anyone wants to see a demo, let me know.

Les

audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude, I can think of entire communities of crafters that would love that. Two places full of people who would love you to death come to mind: Artfire and Etsy.

I'll have Jen hook you up if you're interested (my girlfriend - you friended her on Facebook). Smile

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure thing, i'd be happy to do a show. electro-music radio prepared me for being able to do stuff like this. I don't know much about how to embed the video on another site but somewhere on the ustream.tv site there are links for such things. It would be best if someone on their end knew a little about ustream.tv for setup purposes.

Just last night I was toying with rings and came up with a new finger ring that's quite nice. There is a photo of it on my site but a bit blurry. The video demos are of larger rings.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bumping this thread to give you an update. I leave the medical facility for most likely my own apartment in just over two weeks. I feel like it is the end of a horrible adventure. There is a sense of closure, new friends made, and a brush with death (congestive heart failure).

I can now walk short distances, thought slopes are a challenge and steps are very difficult. Standing for any length of time is difficult. I have two open sore wounds on the front and side of my lower right leg that are in the final stage of healing now. They are very painful.

In this adventure I have experienced pain like I have never felt before in my life. Pain that makes me moan uncontrollably.

My new friend Mike who works here has arrived, so I must cut the update short. We are going to do some recording and he is asking advice about college. I have the chance to help a good young man and make a new friend so pardon me, I'll update you more later.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike had to go work, was telling him about college and grants and tutoring and all that. He's not book smart but he'll do quite well with proper guidance.

One person who had very little proper guidance is me. I made every mistake in the book and that led me to here. The good news is I have a new lease on life. I have a sufficient income from disability, a path back to healthy living, and lots of time on my hands for projects and inventing.

Speaking of inventing, I came up with an invention and approached a patent attorney about it. Long story short he plans to introduce me to some angel investors in a group so that I can pitch my invention and/or future inventions, wish me luck.

I have already begun rebuilding my lab, my studio, my computer setup, and my chainmaille supplies. That means I'll have plenty to keep my mind occupied in my new home.

Also I have met new friends here and once I leave the barrier of them not being allowed to socialize with residents of the facility will become lifted. This means that I'll have a full social life most likely right out from the start, so I won't be so isolated. Wow real-life friends that are here in physical form in addition to all my online friends, some of whom I know in real life, and I've got a life again.

Get a life? I did, and I'm one happy camper thanks to Texas!

Les

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, that is so pleasing to hear!
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's good news!

Best of luck with upcoming move. I bet that's going to be refreshing Smile

DJ
--
audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way to go, Les! I'm happy for you and wish you all the best. Very Happy
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news Les, great to hear you are getting things all sorted Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest news is that I have lost another 30 pounds of weight, some water and some fat, for a total of 50 pounds lost. That may sound like a lot but i have a long way to go and I'm going to get there!

Also I was diagnosed with diabetes for which i get my sugar checked a few times a day and get an insulin shot at night. I believe the insulin in combination with my good eating habits and mild exercise is helping with the weight loss. I may have gained so much weight due to early onset of diabetes for a long time, causing excess sugars to be converted to fat. Now the tables have been turned and the scale is going down, not up.

Also see "Strings and Things" for my next guitar project to commence around October of this year.

Les

audiodef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderful news, Les!

Btw, if you want a sweetener or two safer for diabetics than cane sugar and wish to avoid artificial sweeteners, check our stevia and agave syrup. Stevia is well known as a sweetener suitable for diabetics. Agave has a lower glycemic index than cane, but isn't zero, so you may want to research it yourself. If you find it's safe for you, it's good stuff.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I had forgotten about stevia powder. I don't use sweeteners that much, just a little on my oatmeal in the morning, but every little bit helps!

Les

Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: