electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Dream Studio
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lippi

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Dream Studio
Subject description: based on Ubuntu 11.04
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/forum/

Have multimedial fun with it.
Hermann
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you ever tried using Blender? It's a bloody linux mess! It has the most backward unintuitive filing system ever.

Yes, the results are good- but I'd rather save all that extra learning time and just use SketchUp on a PC or Mac and get the job done quicker. The same goes for Ardour. Give me Reaper any day (both SU and Reaper are 'free' or at least very good value for money).

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Dream Studio bundle seems like a brilliant offering. THX for posting the link.

Sure, it can be argued that some apps - insert your list here - are a UI mess compared to.. -insert your other list here - but that is the aquired taste of the world of Linux. That is not a problem, more like a feature that is to be loved and cherished and might involve sacrificial offerings of animals and pots of olive oil.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having trashed my ubuntu graphics setup, I may be willing to reformat and give this dream thing a try.

/Stefan

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Have you ever tried using Blender? It's a bloody linux mess! It has the most backward unintuitive filing system ever.

Yes, the results are good- but I'd rather save all that extra learning time and just use SketchUp on a PC or Mac and get the job done quicker. The same goes for Ardour. Give me Reaper any day (both SU and Reaper are 'free' or at least very good value for money).

Tom! What you need is this

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do I? Why? Laughing

Perhaps I'd be better off with this & this? Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Having trashed my ubuntu graphics setup, I may be willing to reformat and give this dream thing a try.

Pah! Sellout!! Evil or Very Mad Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lippi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Next week I'll try it. There are some 8-track recordings and videos waiting. Linux is free, and I can twiddle around with it, sometimes bad, sometimes good, sometimes very good.

All the best
Hermann

www.elektrik-musik.de/bilder20.html
onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a nice-looking distro, although it's got WAY more graphics/video stuff bundled in than I will ever use in a million years. And let me just say that I hate, hate, HATE the new 'Unity' interface. Get those stupid buttons off my screen. Wink But, different strokes etc etc.

I've been using KXStudio (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net), which is more sort of a skin on top of vanilla Ubuntu than a full distro in its own right. I really like it, and use it both in the studio and for live performance. JACK support is REALLY really smooth, and things like PulseAudio->JACK bridge and ALSA->JACK daemon are fully integrated and work right out of the box...

adam / onewayness

Lippi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, what an installation. It lasted 3 days! First I remove my old soundcard and built in my Delta 1010LT, build in a Samsung 80 GB IDE Harddisk and installed Dream Studio.

Something went wrong, Grub couldn't find the bootloader of Windows XP. It could be that it depends of the constellation of my PC. At this point XP started, but after installing Grub from an Ubuntu 11.04 Live Disk the MBR was destroyed. It couldn't restore with a XP-Setup-Disk.

The BIOS said the XP-Harddisk is still available, but no Live-Disk showed it. All the dates were lost? No data backup Shocked

The Ubuntu harddisk test shows, the harddisk was over heated. But the reading-test shows, the harddisk is still working.

This morning I found the program TestDisk, on Knoppix-CD. And after 5 minutes it repaires the MBR. Very Happy

First I make a backup of all my dates.

But still I wiil install Dream Studio, because I don't think that this is the reason of the desaster. Some more in the next days.

All the best
Hermann
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lippi wrote:
Linux is free

Yeah, but the bloody hardware isn't. Nor are all those hours spent trying to master each piece of software that behaves completely different to all the others- ie there's no consistency!

Nevermind....going out the door now..... Exclamation

onewayness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lippi wrote:
Something went wrong, Grub couldn't find the bootloader... (etc etc)

Ugh, those Grub problems are the worst. Glad you were able to get it sorted, and I look forward to hearing what you think of the distro...

Cheers,
Adam / onewayness

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lippi wrote:
Hi, what an installation. It lasted 3 days! First I remove my old soundcard and built in my Delta 1010LT, build in a Samsung 80 GB IDE Harddisk and installed Dream Studio.

Something went wrong, Grub couldn't find the bootloader of Windows XP. It could be that it depends of the constellation of my PC. At this point XP started, but after installing Grub from an Ubuntu 11.04 Live Disk the MBR was destroyed. It couldn't restore with a XP-Setup-Disk.

The BIOS said the XP-Harddisk is still available, but no Live-Disk showed it. All the dates were lost? No data backup Shocked

The Ubuntu harddisk test shows, the harddisk was over heated. But the reading-test shows, the harddisk is still working.

This morning I found the program TestDisk, on Knoppix-CD. And after 5 minutes it repaires the MBR. Very Happy

First I make a backup of all my dates.

But still I wiil install Dream Studio, because I don't think that this is the reason of the desaster. Some more in the next days.

You pays whats you getsssss.......

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lippi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey v-un-v, nice comments Very Happy I don't know Birmingham, but I love Liverpool!

Installation completed, with some grub-difficulties, but grub repairs itself after loading the actualities; so i'll try the programs.

All the best
Hermann
Lippi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Dream Studio works, with some errors. The Delta 1010LT was recognized and installed. WLAN installation (with special firmware) was difficult but works.

After loading an *.ogg into the Totem Video Player it crashed, when I closed the side bar.

Audacity works well.

Next problem will be configuring Jack & Ardour GTK 2.
All the best
Hermann
onewayness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good luck with JACK & keep us posted...

adh

Lippi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, thank you onewayness. Here is a review on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQFUr8IpME

There are some more videos about Dream Studio.

Hermann
Lippi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Jack is annoying, but it starts, somtimes ... somtimes not. Ardour GTK 2 depends on Jack (qjackctl) and works a little bit better. Sometimes it crashed. So I often save my project. I think these errors depend on my PC, Pentium 4, 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Here is an Ardour-manual:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/_booki/ardour/ardour.pdf

All the best
Hermann
Lippi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I deleted Dream Studio yesterday, too many errors on my system:

- Totem-video-player crashes constantly
- my external USB-HDD was no more detected
- Jack worked partially, and so do Ardour
- the window of Ardour was bigger than my monitor and could no be resised

I want to make music, mix my tracks or edit my videos.
I suspect it is because of the weak-PC system.

So I installed Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid with a xfce-Desktop and KXStudio. And it works nearly perfect for me after doing some settings. First the application-menue was missing, but with Google I found the resolution.

Here are a few applications of KXStudio:

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications

If you will installate KXStudio, do not use the kxstudio.iso. Install Ubuntu completely, then xfce and afterwards the packsges of KXStudio.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Help:Ubuntu:Upgrade

I hope I have helped you.

All the best
Hermann
Lippi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Electric Laser Music
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

Here is the result, done with KXStudio (audio) and Kdenlive (video):

http://elektrik-musik.de/videos.html

Enjoy it
Hermann
onewayness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hermann:

Glad to hear KXStudio's working out for you... it's been treating me well. Smile

adam

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Jump to: