electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Best way to switch 8 lines at once
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
YashN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject:  Best way to switch 8 lines at once
Subject description: 8PDT are so rare!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I had an easy mod to do on my hand: I need to be able to switch 8 lines simultaneously, so I initially thought of an 8PDT.

However, these are unobtainium... Rare, hard to find, mythical.

What's the best way to switch these 8 lines with a single switch? Should I go through two 4PDTs and a switch, or use relays and analog switches?

Schematics are most welcome.
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check this out:

http://tech.thetonegod.com/switches/switches.html

and

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/cd4053/cd4053.htm

cheers

Ivan
YashN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ivan, looks like two good resources to study and go the analog switching way. I will check them out.
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Best way to switch 8 lines at once Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another chip you miight want to look at is the DG series high voltage analog switches. The 4016 and 4066 are limited to +/-7.5V signals (less if the supply voltages are lower than +/-15V), where the DG411 will switch signals all the way up to the power supplies (in other words, they'll switch a +/-15V signal if powered by +/-15V supplies). They're a little more expensive than the 4016/4066 (about $2.50) but they offer very good performance for the price. They're also available in NC (411), NO (412), and mixed (2 NC and 2 NO in the DG413).

Tim (switched at birth) Servo
YashN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim, what a coincidence, I was just reading some of your posts on the synth-diy archives tonight (or was it the SQ-80 one?).

Thanks for the additional pointers, I will look at these too.

Up to now, I think I will need to have one physical switch which will control 2 analog switches, each responsible for a set of 4 lines. Did I get this right?

I would like to get to the point where I feel confident and I have a clear schematic and also a clear BOM so that I can send an order to Newark, Digikey or Mouser but I think I'm not there yet as I still need to read Ivan's linked articles.
ickystay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those little computer switch boxes are very common. They have multi pole (usually more than 8 p ) 2, 3, or 4 throw rotaries. I see them at thrift store all the time for about $4.

SWITCH-BOX-DB9-2-way-BestLink.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.06 KB
 Viewed:  8386 Time(s)

SWITCH-BOX-DB9-2-way-BestLink.JPG

YashN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good point, ickystay. Need to see if thrift stores here have these kinds of things. Actually, now that I think of it, Addison, which is a surplus electronics store probably had some of these multi-pole rotary switches.

Here is another similar one I found:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

From here: http://www.maaki.com/thomas/sas/jupiter4/jp4_cv/
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's a great schematic of 4016 4-pole switching from Juesrgen Haible's Polymoog Resonator.
YashN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Eric, looks interesting too.
remork

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pushbutton banks?

http://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWPushB-2.html

not commercially related, just for pix..
YashN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those wouldn't do at all.
remork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol Very Happy

i used one of those (with only two buttons) to switch between 2 modes on a modified casio keyboard.
together they're an 8PDT, since each button contains 4 SPDTs, and they're mechanically linked.

but i see how it wouldn't work, space- or layout wise.
remork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4053? if they're to switch simultaneously, that gives you three SPDTs in one package.
i think that takes less board estate than the 4066/4016 route (3x4053 vs 4x4016). see if i can whip up a scheme.

edit: something like this should work i think.
even 1 switch left for an LED if you don't use a DPST control switch.

4053 8PDT.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4053 8PDT.pdf
 Filesize:  21.91 KB
 Downloaded:  130 Time(s)

Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all.

An advantage of the 4053 and 4051, is that switching ±5V peak to peak voltages centred on GND is possible if pin 8 (VSS) is connected to GND, pin 7(VEE) connected to -5V, and pin 16 (VDD) connected to +5V.
Logic levels of GND to +5V will switch the I/O in this mode. Using ±7.5 or ±8V suplies will give some more headroom.

For DC only (0V to +10V) tie pins 7+8 to GND and connect pin 16 to +15V. A logic level high of around 10V or more is needed in this mode to switch the I/O.

Some brands of 4051/3 can handle larger voltage swings - Toshiba TC4051BP are rated for max 20V between VEE and VDD in the first mode, though it may be pushing it a bit too hard to expect to switch ±10V........

Interestingly, 74HC4051/4053 can also handle ±6V peak to peak voltages, with supplies of -6V, GND and +6V, again with a 0V to +5V logic level switch, whereas most normal 74HC types can only handle 0V to +6V. The advantage of 74HC types is typically a lower resistance across the switch than regular CMOS, and faster switching times.

cheers,
Dave

remork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, thanks dave! that's new and useful info to me there..
YashN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool info both of you. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: