electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Page 59 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re the novation Zero

well i cant claim to have comprehensively road tested this or that i am technical enough to give you a rigourous report but this is what i have discoverd:

I already own an axiom pro 51 with hyper control - this didnt really work that well with protools 8 but 2 things happened
the first is i upgraded to protools 9 the 2nd is i researched using the zero with protools - this revealed a lot about setting up both bits of gear - ultimately the axiom has a lot more usable knobs and buttons plus the keyboard
Hypercontrol works perfectly well with pt9 automapping ( the novation software) and has a great display on screen telling you all the info you want at a glance but the transport controls arent as good as the axiom
the faders on the axiom are stiff compared to the zeros smooth action

Basicly the Zero is almost great but the axioms hyper control keyboard is a lot more tactile

i am going to sll the zero on if anyone is interested?

glow worm

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh dear - now I'm just going to have to listen to my entire music collection all over again... and again... and again Rolling Eyes

newcans_s.jpg
 Description:
Sennheiser HD 215
 Filesize:  369.88 KB
 Viewed:  227 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

newcans_s.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HD215's?

I've got a pair of 205's. Awesome budget phones! But all the foam padding is now disintegrating after frequent use over the last 5 years or so, leaving loads of black speckles all over my ears. Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
leaving loads of black speckles all over my ears. Shocked

That would be burnt brain probably, or mouse poo.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
leaving loads of black speckles all over my ears. Shocked

That would be burnt brain probably, or mouse poo.

The padding was most probably manufactured in China.. so it is probably weapons grade chinese mouse poo.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

The padding was most probably manufactured in China.. so it is probably weapons grade chinese mouse poo.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

MadScientist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suspect the most recent acquisition of mine won't need much introduction to this crowd, so instead I will tell you a few words as to why I bought it.

For a while I have been thinking about getting (back) into music, as I haven't really been doing much with the subject since the piano lessens I had years ago. Since then I have been mostly a listener, while the hard sciences were my main vocation. Yet the itch has slowly been growing stronger, and I seem to recall I even registered on E-M a few years ago. So far I have however failed to find any trace of any posts I may have made back then.

My plan have for a while been to start slowly, maybe build something simple, like a small modular synth, and work my way up from there. With precious little experience with synths in my past I suspected I had a steep climb ahead of me, yet I knew that this was in the direction my interest lay. Initially I started out by looking for an inexpensive keyboard, which I could re-purpose as a MIDI controller for my simple analog synth project. And then, while doing so, I came across this little fellow being sold by a local musician. A-ha!

I knew what it was, and further research showed this might just be 'it' for me. Unfortunately I also realized it has a somewhat ... sketchy ... reputation among the synth crowd. I decided to jump on the deal anyway, as it was reasonably priced (I hoped...) and within easy pickup distance as well.

At this point I have only had it for a few, short weeks, and yet am totally blown away. I am actually not entirely certain what some people seem to have against it, though that may just be my inexperience showing. It does have its weak points, true, yet for the price I am thoroughly amused. Very Happy

So there you have it. While I intended to start flinging solder, I ended up patching and attempting to play the keyboard instead. Now for that 'Wet Cave' dripping sound in Roland's patch library...

Frank.

PS: Thanks for having me (back) on E-M. Wink

synth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.16 KB
 Viewed:  203 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

synth.jpg

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Great to see you back!

The Roland SH201 is quite decent, and in most ways much better than the SH-2. The software editor is nice and gives you access to some "hidden" parameters too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have never understood people's gripe with the new SH line.

My main complaint with most digital synths is the lack of control. I like to have every parameter laid out in front of me so I can easily create and edit patches without scrolling through a menu on a tiny led screen. The SH-201 has almost everything accessible through a dedicated pot or button. This makes it easy to use and opens up its synthesis capabilities.

Sure the sound is digital, but that doesn't make it bad - just a little different. When you factor in the price, it makes an awesome beginner synth and a decent addition for anyone.

The haters are either just anolog snobs or comparing it to more expensive synth.
MadScientist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Great to see you back!

Thanks! I will try to stick around, and make a bit of noise every now and then. Probably won't have much worth listening to for quite a while, though.

elektro80 wrote:
The Roland SH201 is quite decent, and in most ways much better than the SH-2. The software editor is nice and gives you access to some "hidden" parameters too.

You may have noticed the red USB cable coming out of the '201. I have already had lots of fun 'dissecting' patches on the editor, which runs on my PC/'DAW' located on and under the table on the right.

Cynosure wrote:
My main complaint with most digital synths is the lack of control. I like to have every parameter laid out in front of me so I can easily create and edit patches without scrolling through a menu on a tiny led screen. The SH-201 has almost everything accessible through a dedicated pot or button. This makes it easy to use and opens up its synthesis capabilities.

That is exactly one of the main reasons why I bought it. I have had access to PCs/computers and by extension soft synths for decades, going all the way back to the VIC-20 and C-64, yet I finally realized I 'work' best when I have actual knobs, buttons and key to poke and prod. The structure of the '201 is also much closer to where I wish to go, analog synths, compared to most other offerings.

In my travels I also came across a Nord modular engine (the rack mount edition), and while it comes highly recommended by most everyone, I was concerned with the almost total lack of physical controls (and no keyboard). It was also somewhat more expensive compared to the '201. (I have since started to wonder if I should buy it anyway, and use the '201 as a controller for it...? Oops, sounds I am going downhill fast here... Very Happy )

Cynosure wrote:
Sure the sound is digital, but that doesn't make it bad - just a little different. When you factor in the price, it makes an awesome beginner synth and a decent addition for anyone.

Well, the '201 does have its weak points, and my suspicion is that some of those may have contributed to its reputation, or rather the lack of same:
  • The headphone amplifier is somewhat weak/anemic in some way I find hard to explain. The sound quality is not much to write home about, particularly not if you use it together with modern, low impedance cans. I use the line-outs together with a high quality DIY headphone amplifier plus my HD-600s, and that combination is lightyears ahead in terms of quality. (Yes, in the photo the cans are connected directly to the synth...)
  • The supersaw oscillator is problematic, and can cause glitches in various situations once you start to process it in earnest. For instance you may get pitch 'banding' and glitch noises if you attempt to use the pitch envelope on it. My suspicion is that it is really a wave table instrument and not really a soft synth, and the implementation leaves something to be desired. The other oscillators and the resulting instruments you can make with them are fine/awesome.
  • Built-in preset patches are nothing special, and many of those are even based on the supersaw. You haven't heard the '201 until you have heard the 400+ patches from Roland's library IMO.
  • Filter resonance doesn't do much for me, though I am at a loss to explain what I am missing.
It is easy to imagine how these points added together could cause a negative impression for someone, who may only ever have had the opportunity to hear the synth in, say, a shop.

Frank.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You dudes don't realise that we all have a far better life today due to cheap manufacturing in and from China! So there! :p

Only a rich ponce like Bob can afford £1000 hand made headphones Wink Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

...we all have a far better life today due to cheap manufacturing in and from China! So there! :p

Good point.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MadScientist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
You dudes don't realise that we all have a far better life today due to cheap manufacturing in and from China! So there! :p

Better still, they are ruining their environment at a ridiculous rate in order to manufacture the cheap stuff for us. In the long run we will have the upper hand, once we get to sell poison free food back to them. (China have already ruined 11% of their arable land area through pollution with industrial toxins...)
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also a valid point.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadScientist wrote:
(China have already ruined 11% of their arable land area through pollution with industrial toxins...)

And we in the west didn't? (also a valid point!) Wink

MadScientist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
And we in the west didn't? (also a valid point!) Wink

Well, erm... Embarassed

I can actually only vouch for little Denmark [1], so yes, your point stands. Laughing

----
[1] Which certainly doesn't have any noticeable patches of chemically poisoned wasteland. In recent years/decades we have spent considerable effort and expense to clean up whatever few rough spots there were.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadScientist wrote:

[1] Which certainly doesn't have any noticeable patches of chemically poisoned wasteland. In recent years/decades we have spent considerable effort and expense to clean up whatever few rough spots there were.

Oh aren't you so elitist?! It's probably why Denmark is so insignificant? Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Apart from Sarah Lund and those brilliant dudes who made Festen (Dogme)!

This house is built on the remnants of a WW1 bomb factory! And if you take a geiger counter to Hall Green (up the road), it'll light up like a Xmas tree! I hate to think what they buried there!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elitist? Shocked Laughing

Cleaning up the mess is a good thing. It is quite brilliant that the danes have been busy with all sorts of other stuff.. and not ever quite got around to sprinkle themselves with uranium or what have you.

Idea BTW.. as we speak brilliant evil minds in the EU are planning to export a danish virus to China. So soon China will be.. well.. basically like Denmark.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
and not ever quite got around to sprinkle themselves with uranium or what have you.

We used to use uranium to yellow glass! You'd get a 'suntan' just by looking through it! Laughing

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aparently the Romans used to hang pieces of coal around their necks too. Until they realised that it made rather good fuel! Shocked
MadScientist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Oh aren't you so elitist?! It's probably why Denmark is so insignificant? Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

I realize you are joking, but...

...it is sometimes a bit of a problem, when foreigners jump to conclusions as to why we do some of the things we do in this country. Doubly so when they seem to believe we wish to take the moral high ground, and point fingers at others (which we won't).

For instance we ran out of room quite a while ago, we use *all* the area of the country. If we wish to build something new, then we have to tear something else down. New airport? Great. Let us decide which town we are going to demolish to make room.

Spot of contaminated soil left by chemical plant? Hey, we could clean it and use it for ... !

Other long term projects we have been working on, and why:

Cleaned out a huge mine field left by the Germans after their occupation in WW-II. Started 1945, got completed in 2010, so an easy 65 year job. Reason: Best beach in the country, right next to the fifth largest city in the country.

Buried the electricity grid. (Yes, all of it.) Tend to rub the Americans the wrong way if you dare mention it. Reason we did it: Trees. Embarassed

We like trees, and tend to plunk them down anywhere there is an open spot. Unfortunately, as you will be aware, we have regularly occurring autumn and winter storms, which doesn't mix well with trees and an electricity grid hanging in mid-air. So it was decided that we should work toward burying the whole thing, as different parts of the grid was due for a regular overhaul anyway.

This decision was made in the mid eighties, and we are about done by now. Much easier clean-up after the storms now, just takes a few chainsaws. Very Happy

So yeah, we cleaned up the rough spots as well. Sorry if it rubs you the wrong way. Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All good projects. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadScientist wrote:

Buried the electricity grid. (Yes, all of it.) Tend to rub the Americans the wrong way if you dare mention it. Reason we did it: Trees. Embarassed

thumleft thumleft thumleft thumleft thumleft

My kind of country! I'll be long dead before my country grows a brain and follows suit. Shit, hell will be frozen over by then (and I bet hell buried their power lines long ago).

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shame. I love electricity pylons! Cool

There was a recent competition here to redesign the pylon, and the end result, the winning entry was boring as hell- designed to look like a tree! Laughing You could even paint it green if you wanted! Laughing

http://www.ribapylondesign.com/gallery

I like this one;

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

or;

or even...

Idea

audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still think we should bury our grid, but those are awesome! Very Happy

I love the reflective ones.

Page 59 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: