electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 29 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
may I confirm, if possible-- the wiring instructions for using pots instead of switches-- these instructiuons are somewhere in the documentation?

I apologize, I can't download the build doc right now.

Hello

Here is an alternate Panel Wiring schematic, featuring
50k Linear pots instead of the 8-way switches.

Should work, let me know how you get on.

-ryk

M185_Panel_Wiring_POT_VERSION.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.17 KB
 Viewed:  744 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

M185_Panel_Wiring_POT_VERSION.jpg

oozitron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a long time away, I'm coming back to this project... VER 2.1

I have wired up just a few controls for initial testing:
Max Stages = unwired = so it is "1"
Seq Mode = unwired = so it is "forward"
Step SubDiv = unwired = so it is "div by 1"

CV Out, Gate Out, Clock In = all wired up

Port time = all wired up (set to min)
CV range = wired to 5v

Per Stage:
LED = unwired
CV = YES wired up
Stage count = unwired
Gate mode = unwired

So I power it up and the CV slider for Stage 1 works perfectly, outputting 0v ~ 5v as expected.

Then I feed it ONE pulse into the CLOCK IN and the CV output goes from 0v and just goes down down down. I shut it off at this point thinking that damage might be happening.

Earlier I had a wiring problem that was making the TL074 get really hot. I've replaced the TL074.

Did I maybe fry my "2.1 programmed" chip?

thanks for any help...
Sad Drew
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oozitron wrote:
After a long time away, I'm coming back to this project... VER 2.1

I have wired up just a few controls for initial testing:
Max Stages = unwired = so it is "1"
Seq Mode = unwired = so it is "forward"
Step SubDiv = unwired = so it is "div by 1"

CV Out, Gate Out, Clock In = all wired up

Port time = all wired up (set to min)
CV range = wired to 5v

Per Stage:
LED = unwired
CV = YES wired up
Stage count = unwired
Gate mode = unwired

So I power it up and the CV slider for Stage 1 works perfectly, outputting 0v ~ 5v as expected.

Then I feed it ONE pulse into the CLOCK IN and the CV output goes from 0v and just goes down down down. I shut it off at this point thinking that damage might be happening.

Earlier I had a wiring problem that was making the TL074 get really hot. I've replaced the TL074.

Did I maybe fry my "2.1 programmed" chip?

thanks for any help...
Sad Drew

Hello

Sounds a bit odd.

For testing you really should have all the controls wire up
to the PIC, as floating inputs will create some unexpected results.

The CV out is affected by the GATE setting for each stage
[ the CV is only updated when the GATE is high ]
So the GATE switch needs to be set correctly for testing CV outputs.

What is the P-P voltage of you clock input ?

-ryk
adambee7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone got any s/pole 8 throw slide switches hanging around. i have a broken one. Very Happy Very Happy
adambee7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ryk, Sent you PM. Very Happy Very Happy
julian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have been going through stuff here, and i have a few m185 panels left.
The chances of me cutting any more of these now is slim.

Anyhow, i have the following -

1-off Gloss Black 3u Euro panel v2.1 O/S
1-off Silver with Blue infill (think Buchla style) 5u panel v2.0 O/S
1-off Silver with Blue infill (think Buchla style) 5u panel v2.1 O/S
1-off Matt Black with white infill 5u panel v2.0 O/S WITH Layout for per-stage Portamento switches.

I have some fastener sets left, although i may not have enough for all of the above - i would have to check. Fastener sets (well, and panels) availible on a first come first served basis.

All of the above are final revision panels.

Price - GBP 60 per panel. No difference in cost between formats / revisions. This offers no reduction on my last advertised price, however, as i say, this will probably be your last oppotunity for these items.

(i know that i can always cut more, but this panel requires so many cutter changes that theyre not the most economic to make in 1-off quantities, and there probably isnt enough demand to cut in more than 1-off quantities any more - hence the catch 22)

Fastener sets, whilst they last, are GBP 4 per set. These are the correct mix of M2 and M2.5 screws to match the switch sets Ryk sent out. The M2 screws are not the easiest to find in small quantities, hence me buying a load and making up sets. The fastener sets are in nice, shiny, stainless steel, allen cap configuration. Theyre the same manufacturer, but different configuration, to the units i use on the x0xb0x builds (so if youre wondering what they look like you can look at those photos)

I will try and take some photos of these panels, and update this post shortly.

Oh - one last thing. Im in the United Kingdom, but can, and do, ship world wide. Postage from me is always at cost price only. Packing is without charge. The company has accounts in GBP and Euro and cards can be processed using Google Checkout (surcharged at cost).

Thanks, Julian

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

Bastian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: A bit late... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi ryk, Julian, others...

I see you're still busy with the project, can you tell me if there's any way of getting hold of a pcb and pic of the 2.1 version? The project keeps popping up in my mind now and then after hearing of it this summer.

I tried using the software version in combination with a midi to cv unit, but this is defenetely not the same Smile

Are there files available to produce the pcb and pic yourself just to get started?

Bastian
julian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ryk will, im sure, confirm, but...

I think the PCBs will probably always be availible from Ryk, however, the switches were purchased by him in bulk somwhere, and theyre not easily found elsewhere.

So, if Ryk has none left, and is not intending on (or can not) get more, then that's that for the switches.

The project can, however, be built with rotary switches. When the project was more current, i laid out a panel for use with rotaries, however, then activity seemed to drop off, so i did not put the panel in to production.

It seems that most want to build with the slide switches, if they can get them.

adambee7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm thinking of building 2 more. thinking of mini rotary switches and porta on each step. Very Happy Very Happy
adambee7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the panels you did for me julian are nearly stuffed. just purchasing 4 10unit cases for them. people should see your work so i'll post pics up in the next month or so. Very Happy Very Happy
nerdware

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've nearly sourced all the parts for mine. I'm just struggling a little with the LEDs and port switches - none of the LEDs and switches I have fit the holes, but that can be fixed.

BTW, my PIC has the 2.1 firmware, but it appears that I have a panel for the 2.0 firmware, with holes for the port switches. If I understand correctly, this means I can use the port switch mod and leave the Stage CV socket unused.

I'm trying think of a way to use that spare socket, but my modding skills are very poor. I'll be happy just to get this thing working! However, the best idea I have so far is to use a gate-to-trigger circuit to provide a Stage One pulse. Has anyone else done anything like this?

patchdub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm thinking of using rotaries for the 8s and slides for the 4s.
will this work for the 4 switch?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-Alcoswitch/STS1400PC04/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtHXLepoqNyVVTetbDyzIXJB747LDBtUGU%3d
or does anyone know of a better option?
thanks!

julian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for all the trouble supporting that switch from the panel, i think i would just use rotaries.

julian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This was as far as i got with rotaries -

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

(the large white circles are not the knobs, but the space that the switches take up behind the panel)

The panel is still 3u, and uses those cheap 12way rotaries for all switches.

If there was a revival of interest in this project, i would confirm the panel, and cut a few.

m185_rotary.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.38 KB
 Viewed:  8074 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

m185_rotary.jpg

julian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:

I will try and take some photos of these panels, and update this post shortly.

As promised, photos below -

V2.0 with portamento mod -

Euro in gloss black (v2.1) -

The silver/blue panels never look that great when i take photos of them, but if you look at the photo of the klee panel i cut for someone, it gives a much better idea of what they actually look like -

...and on to the m185s, in the same colour -

V2.0 in 'buchla' blue -

V2.1 in 'buchla' blue -

nerdware

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
V2.0 with portamento mod -

That's the panel I have! It's great, but I'm having some difficulty finding the stage LEDs and port switches for it. The holes are much smaller than I expected, and the space for the port switches is very tight. If I use the Apem bladed toggle switches, there won't be enough space to mount them horizontally. I don't mind mounting them vertically, but I think that will make it harder to see which stages have port on.

I was going to ask if anyone could suggest an alternative switch, but now I see that Buchla blue 2.1 panel...That would solve two of my panel problems! Argh! Choices, choices! scratch

Bastian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: sliders and stuff Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
Ryk will, im sure, confirm, but...

I think the PCBs will probably always be availible from Ryk, however, the switches were purchased by him in bulk somwhere, and theyre not easily found elsewhere.

So, if Ryk has none left, and is not intending on (or can not) get more, then that's that for the switches.

The project can, however, be built with rotary switches. When the project was more current, i laid out a panel for use with rotaries, however, then activity seemed to drop off, so i did not put the panel in to production.

It seems that most want to build with the slide switches, if they can get them.

Good to hear, I've send a PM to ryk with this question. let's hope he still has some parts lying around.

For the buttons: the sliders have got this oldschool look Smile but on the other hand take up a lot of space. i've been looking around on the net for these, there are a lot of companies who still produce. Most of them are in the east (asia). In the past i've ordered some others as samples for a project at astronomic transport costs, but then my customer was paying Razz

Maybe i can try to get a quote for a small amount if there's a shared interest with other forum members.

Nice to hear the project is still going strong!

Bastian
julian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nerdware wrote:

That's the panel I have! It's great, but I'm having some difficulty finding the stage LEDs and port switches for it.

The LEDs should just be 3mm ones. I deliberatly cut the holes close with the 3mm leds, so that no additional hardware is needed to hold the led, but, i guess, 3mm leds may vary in size some and complicate this approach.

If there is ever a choice though, i always cut for the smallest component that people will use. This is very much intentional, as, i figure, anyone with a set of drills can make a round hole larger, if they need to, using the existing hole as a guide, however, packing out a component, to hold in an oversized panel hole never ends up pretty...

The switches should just be the standard (cheap) minature (or sub min - i cant recall) from Rapid, etc.

Let me get some out of my parts cases tommorow, and fit some to the panel i have here to make certain, however, im almost 100% sure these are the ones (again, i try to make the panels as compatible as possible, so try hard to stay away from hard to get parts!)

Let me check tommorw though (may be late, as i have a busy day tommorow) and get back to you with the details.

Julian

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: sliders and stuff Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bastian wrote:
...the sliders...take up a lot of space.

Uh...I beg to differ on that. Not when you're trying to pack in 8 of the 4P and 8 of the 8P switches. You actually use up a lot less spce like that than with rotary switches because with the slide switches arranged as Julian has them, you can get the switches pretty close together on the vertical axis. Take a look at Julian's V2.0 With Portamento Mod panel and try eyeballing it. Imagine adding 2 columns of rotaries to the right of the CV knobs. It can be done, but it's not as finger-friendly as with the slider switches.

I haven't found any 8P mini rotary switches that I can afford (plus I hate how the mini rotaries have tiny shafts that pretty much limit you to using the knobs that come with them...doesnt' fit my designs at all), and the less expensive rotaries have nearly 1" bodies. With 5U modules being about 8.75" high, that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room behind the panel.

But keep in mind that these can be built with pots rather than switches. So both slider pots and rotary pots are viable options.

julian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This panel -

..was laid out to be able to use these (cheap, widely availible) switches -

Like i say, i have not tested the panel yet, and i last worked on it, probably, over a year ago (!) but i think it should work, and i dont think it will really be much more cluttered than the slide switch version (remember, the large white cicles are *not* knobs, but the area the body of the switch takes up behind the panel)

julian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....i guess what i am trying to say is that, whilst i (and many others) recieved the slide switches from Ryk, i do not think that the lack of availibilty of them now should kill this project.

Indeed, if i were to start over, i may even opt for using rotaries, rather than slide, simply due to their availibility. Again, i always try and stay away from 'rare' parts, so that i know things are repairable in the future, when they go wrong. For me, the use of a comonly availible part in a design is much more desirable than a rare one.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

julian wrote:
....i guess what i am trying to say is that, whilst i (and many others) recieved the slide switches from Ryk, i do not think that the lack of availibilty of them now should kill this project.

Oh, totally agree!

I have slide switches for one, but not enough for 2 (and have 2 PCB). I've decided to use a few of the slide switches on a dual panel, but save the rest for other projects, and am using cheap rotaries for most of what's needed here...just haven't quite decided on the final format. Right now I've got a 3U high, 19" wide design...but might expand the height of that to incorporate additional modules and options.

adambee7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Cylindrical-3mm-through-panel-LEDs-60441

i'm going to use these. should fit. Very Happy Very Happy
Bastian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: building the pcb
Subject description: looking for alternatives
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've bought a spare pcb from a forum user.
I'm sourcing the parts to populate the board but some parts are discontinued. Can someone tell me if the following parts will do instead of the old ones?

old: 2N3819 (Vishay) new: MPF102_D27Z (Fairchild)
old: 4069UB new: 4069UBE

Thanks!

Bastian

(b.t.w. I'm trying to get some samples from china for the 1p8t switches from Kwanda Industrial Co. not sure if it's going to work, I'm waiting for a reply from them)
Bastian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Sliding switches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It worked! They're sending 32 1p8t and 32 2p8t sample switches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 29 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: