electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
"Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available!
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

I know several of you have been waiting for this, and it's been a long, strange journey to get these DVDs duplicated, but they're finally ready to roll! Here’s our “official” blurb:

------------------------------
If you’ve ever built your own electronics, and then struggled to find information on how to package them to use on stage or in the studio, then this DVD is for you.

“Building a Synthesizer With Thomas Henry” is a step by step guide with tips and tricks for building panels, cabinets, wiring, and putting those all-important finishing touches on your electronics.

Follow along as Thomas Henry walks you through the “mechanical” side of building a synthesizer. Using easy to find, low-cost tools and supplies, Thomas shares dozens of valuable tips, including how to:

* Build a sturdy and professional looking 19” rack cabinet.
* Drill, paint and label your panels.
* Mount PCBs and wire up your modules like a pro.
* Mount your modules and wire everything together for a finished product.
* Bonus section includes step by step procedures for etching and drilling your own PC Boards.
------------------------------

Even as an experienced builder, I learned some new tricks from this video. These DVDs are available directly from us at Magic Smoke, and we’re having an Introductory Special of $10 + shipping ($2.50 US/Canada, $6.00 EU/UK/Aus) for the first twenty customers. Write to us at
magsmoke@gmail.com to order or for more info. Thanks!

Tim (video fun for the whole family) Servo

(Edit: have had to increase the shipping cost to reflect the actual price I'm paying - trying to keep it as low as possible)

BAS_Preview.jpg
 Description:
Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry DVD menu
 Filesize:  126.98 KB
 Viewed:  541 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BAS_Preview.jpg

BAS_cover-2b.jpg
 Description:
DVD case cover for "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry"
 Filesize:  244.86 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

BAS_cover-2b.jpg

Last edited by Tim Servo on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available!
Subject description: Introductory offer extended!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Boys and Girls, the first twenty DVDs went so fast that I'm ordering another batch and extending the $10 introductory price until Saturday, March 26th! Thanks for all your responses!

Tim (watching DVDs in my BVDs) Servo
nutoniom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This will be class entertainment, thanks for going through with this project !

http://www.7161.com/css_artist.cfm?user=380
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All:
I was fortunate to have reviewed the initial draft of this video for Thomas and I can say this is truly a really nice effort on his part. Even someone like me, who's been doing synth DIY for 30+ years (yikes!), can learn some good things from it. It's fun to compare notes with Thomas' methods versus my own if nothing more than a sanity check. Plus Thomas uses very economical methods to produce his equipment so even students shouldn't be put off by any high upfront costs to dive into synth DIY.

Boogdish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim, has anything been added to this DVD since it was previously available?

I had only built one or two modules for an existing system I had before seeing this and I was still feeling pretty intimidated by the idea of building a new cabinet/power supply and starting from the ground up.

This DVD really helped me feel confident that I could do this. I recommend it to all the newbies out there lurking this forum who are feeling intimidated by all the other stuff on this forum.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Boog,

I'm assuming you got one of the early releases we issued through Lulu.com? The problem with those is that they wouldn't play on a standard DVD player (they would work on a PC or Mac DVD drive). A lot of back and forth later, and I'm having the DVDs duplicated at a different place. These new DVDs will play on a standard DVD player, but the content is still the same. Glad you liked it though. Smile

By the way, our friends overseas should note that these are in NTSC format. However, they will play on any NTSC compatible DVD player, or on a PC or Mac DVD drive.

Tim (another early release) Servo
jojjelito

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:  "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The DVD made it to sunny Sundbyberg just outside of Stockholm today after a week in the care of the postal service. That was faster than I had hoped for Cool

After watching it tonight I think that everyone should get it! Others before me have stated that the experienced builders as well as the less experienced like yours truly will learn new things from this. It's nice to see some attention brought to the less glamorous parts of Synth-DIY.

Big thanks to Tomas Henry for doing this and to Tim for publishing it!

PS: Seeing this made me wish for reissues of the Clangora and the other older drum projects.
nutoniom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got mine, thanks Tim !

http://www.7161.com/css_artist.cfm?user=380
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

watched it: it is so great looking at thomas doing a analogue synthesizer step by step, all by hand in the basement - inspiring it is!
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still able to purchase the DVD?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a very worthwhile purchase! Anyone in Synth DIY should have this.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Doremi,

Yes we still have DVDs available. They go for $11 + shipping ($2.50 US/Canada, $6.50 EU/UK/Aus). Email us at magsmoke@gmail.com to order.

Thanks for the review Danno. I've enjoyed the DVD too. I'm finally finished with school for the year (I teach online CAD classes through a local community college), so I'll be building a few of my own goodies and putting some of the tricks from the DVD to use. Smile

Tim (schools out... for...SUMMER) Servo
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mail sent, thank you Smile
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fun to watch! Highly recommended. cheers
loydb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent. I've also sent email.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great stuff! email sent! any info on the "VCO CookBook"?
thanks guys
a.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still working on the VCO Chip cookbook. It's a big book! Wink

Tim (sleep? who needs sleep) Servo
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi tim.
any fresh news on the VCO CookBook?
thanks
alfonso
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD, thanks for publishing it!

Of course, I pretty much don't do anything the way he did (except that I also use a drill to twist wires together), but it's fun to see the techniques he used...

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
mark_olson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:

Of course, I pretty much don't do anything the way he did...but it's fun to see the techniques he used...

Same here. But the one thing I am trying to learn to do the way he does it is to be more laid back and not too fussy about the whole business. I'm sure having an epic amount of knowledge and experience like he does would help Smile

Mark
Dougster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mark_olson wrote:
But the one thing I am trying to learn to do the way he does it is to be more laid back and not too fussy about the whole business. I'm sure having an epic amount of knowledge and experience like he does would help Smile

I think all of that comes with time, desire, and lots of experimentation! (I started building Heathkits back in the 70's and I'm still learning...) Smile

The biggest lesson I've learned over the years is to design stuff for myself and give up on the idea of making any money from it. Of course, if you make something for yourself and make a few extras for other people that's alright too...

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
artmechanix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Building a Synthesizer: "Review" / Kudos
Subject description: Recommended DVD, for your library of resources
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just watched my copy of the DVD, for the first time, after learning about it from this thread (on the day that I joined the forum!). Thought I'd share my experience with you, as a thanks for letting me know about it, in the first place.

I found Mr. Henry's DVD to be enjoyable, entertaining, informative and fascinating. He's very clear, early on, that this is not meant to be a sophisticated three-camera production. To paraphrase what he says, this DVD is "a chance for you to look over his shoulder, while undertaking a project." It plays out exactly like that - as though you're in your uncle or neighbor's workshop, getting a one-on-one mentoring, with a camera recording the lessons. He uses a small camera, with a tripod - no frills. It's not HD, and the audio is not hi-fi, but the quality and clarity of the content more than makes up for all of it. It is exactly, as the title suggests... you are watching Thomas Henry build a rack module synthesizer and enclosure. It's casual enough to be clear and interesting, but also professional enough to avoid unnecessary filler. Also, it does have DVD chapters, organized in an order that is actually pretty logical for a straight viewing, but sensible to hop around for specific topics, on repeat viewings.

I felt that Mr. Henry did a great job of delivering the information in a clear manner, that anyone can understand, gives a great number of time and money-saving tips and resources, and is excellent at clarifying information. He doesn't linger on "common sense" information for too long, but rather, makes great use of the time to expand on some of the more involved processes and techniques, in real-time. His delivery style and what he has chosen to show, would make this process seem like something within reach, even to a beginner, I feel. He shows that with a few extra minutes of effort on each step, you can have quality, professional-looking results, without breaking the bank, but that basic preparation and assembly doesn't have to be unorganized or overwhelming, either.

From building, painting and finishing a rack enclosure, to planning and setting up faceplates, making and prepping a PCB board, module assembly, getting those rat's nests of wires under control, and more, Mr. Henry takes you through the process, from start to finish (again, in an order that is logical for efficiency, not necessarily what most would assume would be chronological). He also is kind enough to show us the implementation of his finished modules in the context of his studio. The credits include a recap of some of the resources mentioned, but I also recommend having a pen and paper handy, while watching, to keep track of a few more he mentions.

I'd been hoping for something like this to come along, for many years, and am grateful I have something to add to my stacks of books, PDFs and kits. It's nice to finally be able to see someone else's approach, in real-time, rather than just reading text and seeing the occasional still photo. It's a great tool, at a great price and was received at my doorstep, from Magic Smoke, in probably less than a week from when it was ordered.

I'll probably write a more articulate, formal review on my site in the near future - launching a whole new synth / electronics section. But anyway, I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn some great tips and gain some insight from a master, and also, for the beginner or intermediate tinkerer who wants to be inspired, encouraged... and reassured that the process isn't "as scary" as you have been thinking it all is.
philpeery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim! Are there any of these DVD's still available? I've been out of the snyth-DIY loop for a bit, and missed out on the initial release.

Many thanks!
Phil
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't answer with certainly on Tim's behalf, but I just ordered and received one of these a couple months back, so I expect they are probably still in stock.

This was from the pricelist I got in April:

BOOKS and DVDs by Thomas Henry –
BUILDING A SYNTHESIZER WITH THOMAS HENRY: DVD with over 2 hours of tips and helpful information on the mechanical and packaging aspects of putting a synthesizer together. Includes bonus section on etching and drilling PCBs. $11 + shipping ($2.50 US/Canada, $6.50 EU/UK/Aus)
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: "Building a Synthesizer with Thomas Henry" DVDs available! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

Yes, I do have those DVDs in stock. Got a nice big box full of them, actually Wink. The duplication costs have gone up a bit, so I've had to bump the cost by a dollar. They're now $12 + shipping ($2.50 US/Canada, $6.50 EU/UK/Aus).

Tell you what, mention that you saw this on E-M and I'll keep it at $11 + shipping. I know, it's only a dollar, but it's better than nothing. Smile Thanks to everyone who has purchased one so far. This is something unique, and everyone seems to really like it. Shout out if you have questions.

Tim (stocking the DVDs, Boss) Servo
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: