electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Gender equality in electro
Page 6 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
SugarRatz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont think you should complain about being unique just make sure you dont do any bad sets Wink
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

Being almost the only one of something has its uncomfortable side. I can't just fade into the background. There might even be people who would catch my set just because I'm "unique". Which, if it was a bad set, would be embarrassing.

I can relate. At one point, I decided to stop caring about why people listen to me. I just like what I do and the people who like my sets for what it is make the rest worthwhile. Smile
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is my observation that, generally speaking, males and females are different. One could argue that men are under-represented in some fields. I suggest that "equality" is not confined to number of participants.

But if you must quantify the sexes of important participants in electronic music, into which column do you place W. Carlos?

And yes, I'm trying to be funny.

I tend to think of this as a moot issue, but not so moot that I didn't feel compelled to comment on it.

I don't really care about the sex, age, race, creed or political affiliation of electronic musicians. Musicians are all flakes anyway.

::ducks::

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
audiodef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

But if you must quantify the sexes of important participants in electronic music, into which column do you place W. Carlos?

It depends on when you ask.

A E J O T Z wrote:

Musicians are all flakes anyway.

::ducks::

*throws tomato*

Razz

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

I tend to think of this as a moot issue, but not so moot that I didn't feel compelled to comment on it.

If there were roughly the same amount of women participating in this thread and others here, sometimes with more women than men talking, sometimes the other way around, I might think of this as a moot issue. But there aren't, so it isn't. Simple as that really.

/Stefan

A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If there were roughly the same amount of women participating in this thread and others here, sometimes with more women than men talking, sometimes the other way around, I might think of this as a moot issue. But there aren't, so it isn't. Simple as that really.

But if it's simply a case of more men being interested in electronic music than women are, does it continue to be an issue?

And why is there a tomato on my face?

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No tomato intended - I just wanted to explain how I don't think it's a moot issue.

I'm of the school of thought where the fact that fewer women than men are interested in electronic music (if that's the case, I'm actually not so sure), that's just another symptom of a problem.

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there are more men in electronic music, because the women are all doing full-time jobs, and it is us men (who the women are now paying our way) who are now doing the housework! Laughing

(well that's the case here anyway!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YMMV, but over here in Norway it seems like women in general prefer making music with macho instruments like drums and guitars. I guess most of them think it is too lame to make music by turning knobs and go "Wheeee", "Swoooosh" and "Sproink" etc.
So, this is probably just a case of the majority being fairly well adjusted and sane.
And yes, this has probably gone too far. Now middle aged men in their 50s must use headphones when they try out synths at the music store in order to not disturb the 15 year old girls that go berserk on the drum kits. What is the world coming to?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is electronic music?

40 - 50 years ago this was still a somewhat modernist project even though the actual music could vary a lot - which makes it hard to consider calling this a genre even back then. Now all music is basically a postmodern pop venture in a failing capitalist world and thus equality is absolute in the sense that we are all victims, spoiled goods or promising products with a huge market appeal. beer

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:

And why is there a tomato on my face?

Sorry. Embarassed

*wipes off tomato and throws banana*

audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was going through my audio tech degree program in college, there were only a few women in it, and half of those were just taking the courses, not the degree. I've wondered why there are fewer women in all aspects of audio technology - sound engineering, acoustics, electronic music, synth manufacturing, loudspeaker design, etc.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
What is electronic music?

40 - 50 years ago this was still a somewhat modernist project even though the actual music could vary a lot - which makes it hard to consider calling this a genre even back then. Now all music is basically a postmodern pop venture in a failing capitalist world and thus equality is absolute in the sense that we are all victims, spoiled goods or promising products with a huge market appeal. beer

beer

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="laura woodswalker"
Being almost the only one of something has its uncomfortable side. I can't just fade into the background. There might even be people who would catch my set just because I'm "unique".[/quote]

Well, we are all unique in one way or another. As long as we don't make you feel uncomfortable because of your uniqueness, then all is well, or at least mostly well.

Beginners, men and women, can feel very uncomfortable when they are alone with a group of experienced electro-musicians. I think we do a pretty good job of making them feel welcome, but if we don't, we will try harder.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
audiodef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcoming beginners into communities is important. Sometimes we get caught up in our own bullshit (I speak from experience) and having fresh snacks *ahem* I mean blood *cough cough* INSIGHT keeps it real. Wink
patternsintheivy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my university we have two Music Technology lecturers, one male and one female, and they are both acousmatic and electroacoustic composers. They have two very different styles, but are both very good at what they do. The most publicised electroacoustic concert of the year was a lady from New York, and she sold out most of her gigs across the country.

In my class there are less women than men, but there isn't really any difference in the quality of the music- the only variable in the quality seems to be with age. The older students put a lot more effort into their compositions, and none of the mature students have dropped out of Music Technology for their third year.

However, the majority of people my age actively involved in making this kind of music are male. If I was going to take a guess it would probably be something to do with branching ou into electronic music at this stage being a bit of risk- it's not something anyone is really introduced to until university, and we have already spent all our lifetime preparing an instrument for this moment.
Ni-Kulo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone knows any girls producing electronic music?^^
[Q]

Audio files: 57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18782.html Very Happy
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ni-Kulo wrote:

Well, if you count a somewhat Vintage-age person like me as a "girl", and if you count psychedelic ambient chillout as "electronic music", then count me in. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeV6inPsExk&feature=youtu.be
Laura Woodswalker

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ni-Kulo wrote:
Right now on Stillstream, Har is doing a show devoted to women electronic musicians. The artist he is currently playing can be found here: http://soundcloud.com/pixyblink (among other places). I am not sure what other artists he will be playing.
Steve
xiphocoleon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't seen her mentioned around this forum, but Laurie Spiegel's _The Expanding Universe_ is great.

http://www.unseenworlds.net/uw09/
Olhm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: sick ass women dj's that clown on most dudes I've heard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back in late 90's fish there was this lady that went by "SAGE", she spun some of the sickest sets I've heard to date(even filler tracks were hard). Wore out her tape in about a year(scotch taped it back together until it was finally chewed up & spit out)
Then there was "MANTRA" I heard on an internet show....can't remember the show or the homies she spun with but she also spun consistent "anti bitch made" (like punk sukka sound, I have a female dog & she's no bitch) sets...
...they'd both be worth looking up
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not understanding what "gender" has to do with art.

Any person, regardless of gender, real or imagined, can do art. Good art.

I apologize if I've offended anyone, but this, to me, is rather simplistic.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
soillodge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen this topic pop up numerous times on numerous forums. Everytime I basically name 15 female artists that most people have never heard of. I do not think there is an uneven value between men and women in electronic music. I think this idea is created by insulated individuals that also argue about synth music minutia and a forest of sub-genres all originated by record label marketing plots.

If there is anywhere we can all be equal in sex, race, or culture. Its electronic music Wink

-michael
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rhetoric I guess Laughing .. anyway .. welcome michael.
Page 6 of 7 [153 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Diversity in electro-music
Jump to: