electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jürgen Haible is dead
Page 3 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you so much Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry_W wrote:

I am really overwhelmed by the resonance this tragic news has found in your community in such a short time. Thank you for all good wishes and condolences!

Hi Harry.

I think it would be fair to say that Jurgen was considered by many in the SDIY community as the "Elvis Presley" of synthesiser building and construction? Many of us were in awe of his professionalism and commitment to his art. Put simply, Jurgen was 'The King'.

Jurgen was such a kind and helpful guy. He'll be sorely missed by devoted followers here and other SDIY forums all over the world.

I wish my condolences to his family and close family friends.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh no, I can't believe it. I had the privilege of visiting him at his home a few years ago. A wonderful man and a beautiful family. What a tragedy.

Ian
Abby Normal

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is terrible news. Condolences to the family and friends.
azot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is very sad news. Just few weeks ago I got a pcb from Jürgen. Me and a lot of people will remember him gratefully, while continuing work on his great projects. My sincere condolences to his family, loved ones and friends. Rest in peace Jürgen.
bigbluewave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is truly shocking news.
I feel quite shaken just thinking about his loved ones.
My heartfelt condolences to his family for the loss of a husband and father. His spirit will live on in the music he created and the music he has allowed us to create too.

Ben
Reptil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R.I.P. mr. Haible, thank you for what you contributed to our world.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG, this is a terrible loss, not only to his family, but to our community. Jurgen was a pillar of our community; as a designer, a musician, and as a thinker. He was always the epitome of respect and decency. He represented what electro-music was all about - the joy of it for the sake of it. Always willing to share and to encourage others.

What a shock and what a devastating loss. What a sad day this is. Sad

Condolences to his family.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harry_W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you so much Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I think it would be fair to say that Jurgen was considered by many in the SDIY community as the "Elvis Presley" of synthesiser building and construction? Many of us were in awe of his professionalism and commitment to his art. Put simply, Jurgen was 'The King'.

Jurgen was such a kind and helpful guy. He'll be sorely missed by devoted followers here and other SDIY forums all over the world.

I am not into the arts of SDIY (seemed always magic to me), so I cannot appreciate the contribution of Jurgen's work to that matter as much as you do. But you may be right for sure!

The only thing I remember is, when I expressed my admiration to Jurgen of what I had found on his home page, of all these (actually working) schemas for PCBs, circuit improvements and extensions for professional equipment, and also about his music works, he just put it down as if to say "ey, but that's nothing, just my hobby". He had really been shy about his own talents. That was typically him.

About one year ago, Jurgen had donated all his experimental (unpublished) music CDs he had recorded during the years to my wife (three boxes). He knew she was always in search of loyalty-free background music for her video arts business, so she can use them now. I didn't yet listen to a tenth of them. I wondered why he would quit on making music (he had always characterized his music style to us as "dark" or "gloomy", thought it would not fit to "happier" videos). Actually, he had changed many things in his private life in that period, quit relationships and changed his appearance, as if he wanted to start a new life from the scratch. I did never understand this really. But pls understand that I do not want to go too much in detail here, for privacy reasons.

I keep Jurgen in my memory as a brilliant technician (and musician, as far as I can judge), who had always been a good fellow, a sincere seeker and believer and a deep thinker as well.

Best regards,
Harry
de_engineered

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the last thing I and everyone else expected to come home too, man. RIP Herr Haible.

What now of the vocoder he was working on ? We're not gonna see any other PCBs with a fish on them again either... ;(

jh_fisch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.17 KB
 Viewed:  37333 Time(s)

jh_fisch.jpg

matrix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry, one nice tribute would be to keep his site running. It would be an honor to his memory and his work would continue to influence future generations of DIYers. If there is any way I can help with that, let me know.

As for a tribute, one of the things I do on my site is add "maker" and manufacturer labels to all posts. I created a label for JH a while back and all posts mentioning his work received it. Currently the label has 113 individual posts and I'm sure it will continue to grow:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/search/label/JH

I hope people find some value in this rather than having to go hunting for miscellaneous videos and images across the Internet. It's all there in one place. You can get a feel for how far his work reached the community. The label not only gets attributed to his posts, but any post featuring his designs.

horchacha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very sad to hear this news
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jwilsey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very sad news. Sad
My thoughts go out to the Haible family.

This is a terrible loss.
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crying or Very sad

What did he die of?

frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crying or Very sad
Last edited by frenchyinmunich on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:33 am; edited 6 times in total
paults

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can we not just PayPal money to his account? I'm sure his wife can log in and receive the funds. Maybe someone can email/ask her.

We can then each send a contribution and write her a note in the Comment field.
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He will miss me as we have had talks since 1993 about designs, music, etc...
I am shocked.

My condolence to Birgit and the children.

Last edited by frenchyinmunich on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Juergen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Juergen in 1999 when he finished his Synthi.
http://synthdiy.com/files/2008/hj_garden.jpg
Juergen will stay that guy in my minds... The genious synth electronician.
Juergen was all these guys Bob Moog, Zinovief, Buchla, Tom Oberheim, Alan Pearlman, Fernandez all these guy in one time... The synth maker scientist artist of the new millennium.

Last edited by frenchyinmunich on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
johans121

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel so sad for his family Sad

Rest in peace, friend!

-Jim
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There, but for the grace of God, go I.
Rest brother.

oldcrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I might do is make a module based on his work, and have proceeds go to his family. I am thinking perhaps one of my favorites, the interpolating scanner.

Crow
/**/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keithwin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Saw this news minutes after doing a board wash on some of Jugens PCBs last night and suppose I dismissed it as a hoax and hope to see the situation resolved by this morning. Desperately sad that the news is true. Never met Jurgen but felt he was a friend through many email conversations. A brilliant, patient kind human being. You will be very much missed. Love to his family, our thoughts are with you...
Harry_W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Tributes to Jurgen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

matrix wrote:
Harry, one nice tribute would be to keep his site running. It would be an honor to his memory and his work would continue to influence future generations of DIYers. If there is any way I can help with that, let me know.

matrix,
This would be a good idea. But I have no clue so far how to accomplish this. AFAIK, his wife Birgit never had anything to do with his SDIY business, nor with his web site. And Jurgen did not live at his family anymore for the last year(s). Who else keeps the passwords for the server access? It is, of course, not a very good idea to bother his family with such requests in this period of mourning; maybe some weeks/months later.

matrix wrote:
As for a tribute, one of the things I do on my site is add "maker" and manufacturer labels to all posts. I created a label for JH a while back and all posts mentioning his work received it. Currently the label has 113 individual posts and I'm sure it will continue to grow:

http://m.matrixsynth.com/search/label/JH

I hope people find some value in this rather than having to go hunting for miscellaneous videos and images across the Internet. It's all there in one place. You can get a feel for how far his work reached the community. The label not only gets attributed to his posts, but any post featuring his designs.

Thank you, matrix, for this. Also thanks for the honour you give to Juergen in your top matrixsynth posting. If you want to see some more up-to-date private photos of Jurgen, try visiting the albums of his Facebook account. But I guess you will not find any fx-es or synths depicted there...

Harry
whitenoise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very sad news. Condolences to his loved ones
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very sad news indeed. I never knew Jurgen personally, but his PCB's were incredible. His vocoder made me see where this hobby can lead to. Clearly a bright shining star and an inspiration to many. Kind thoughts to his family...
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I coined the name "The Krautrock Phaser" after pleading with Jurgen to release his Schulte Compact Phasing A unit clone as a generally available kit.

Although I never actually met Jurgen I feel very humbled to know that at least. Smile

We should back off the family about speculations of how he died and whatever- out of respect. The same about his SDIY business. I think it's probably best just to leave all of those decisions to his family now. Out of sensitivity for them?
Page 3 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: