electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Page 60 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:

I love the reflective ones.

Yes. Me too! Very Happy

Bring on the future! Very Happy Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Bring on the future! Very Happy Very Happy

++! thumleft

MadScientist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Shame. I love electricity pylons! Cool

Not to worry. The 400KV AC long distance transmission lines are among the few, which for the most part have not been buried (yet). The capacitive losses of a long distance 400KV AC line are apparently way too high, so eventually they will have to be converted to HV DC, similar to what is done with sea cables.

But pretty much all the lower voltage lines, IE. local distribution, are in the ground by now. They are also the ones, which were most likely to run afoul of trees due to being very much closer to the ground.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got a new Allen & Heath Zed 14 mixer. I got tired of Berhinger mixers' distortion. This thing is really professional. You really have to try to get it to overload. Tons of head room. Very solidly made too.

The only down side - it's very big. Also - the main output is XLR only, no 1/4 phone plugs for that. I can live with it. Smile

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
audiodef

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one, Howard. Smile

I like the two Mackie Onyx mixers I have, but I'm never buying Mackie again. Maybe A&H is something I should look into.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Just got a new Allen & Heath Zed 14 mixer. I got tired of Berhinger mixers' distortion. This thing is really professional. You really have to try to get it to overload. Tons of head room. Very solidly made too.

The only down side - it's very big. Also - the main output is XLR only, no 1/4 phone plugs for that. I can live with it. Smile

I've had the exact same model for more than 3 years. Properly made, as you say; a vertical PCB per channel, with all pots bolted to the panel. IMO, it's about the right size for being comfortable to operate. Never been so chuffed with a mixer before Smile

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Just got a new Allen & Heath Zed 14 mixer.

Brilliant mixer. We´ve had Behringer discussions here before, and it is true that a Behringer mixer is better than no mixer.. but the Allen & Heath Zed series is a great reminder how much better a truly well made mixer can be.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
mosc wrote:

Brilliant mixer. We´ve had Behringer discussions here before...

Yes, and I've arguing on the side that Behringers are good enough. Not so any more. They work well when the input signals are the perfect level, but if they are low, the Behringer is noisy, and if the input is hot, they distort. I have a Mackie mixer, sounds good, but several channels have just stopped working. The Allen & Heath sounds better. Someone there is a very good circuit designer.

So, Mr 80, you have been right all along. I will pay more attention in the future. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Brilliant mixer. We´ve had Behringer discussions here before, and it is true that a Behringer mixer is better than no mixer.. but the Allen & Heath Zed series is a great reminder how much better a truly well made mixer can be.

Yes, and also a cool reminder about how much more of a premium you pay too!! Wink Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More..? Premium?

The Zed 14 is not expensive.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My only gripe with these kinds of mixers is that all of them have so many mono inputs. If two or even four of the mono instrument strips on the Z14 were replaced with stereo strips it would be brilliant.

Seems like a great mixer anyway.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is more a feature than a bug. AH has this one for stereo source sub-mixing:

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=MixWizard3Series&ProductId=MixWizard320S

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fact that the off-the-shelf mixers come with a fixed configuration = you gotta do some serious research before you know which mixer fits your intended use. The larger recording consoles are usually more adaptable to stereo sources.

Custom configured mixers are of course an alternative, but these are really expensive.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
mosc wrote:

Brilliant mixer. We´ve had Behringer discussions here before...

Yes, and I've arguing on the side that Behringers are good enough. Not so any more. They work well when the input signals are the perfect level, but if they are low, the Behringer is noisy, and if the input is hot, they distort. I have a Mackie mixer, sounds good, but several channels have just stopped working. The Allen & Heath sounds better. Someone there is a very good circuit designer.

So, Mr 80, you have been right all along. I will pay more attention in the future. Wink

Laughing
Actually, I do think there is a use for Behringer sub-budget mixers. At the price they are selling these for obviously the main point is that a mixer is better than no mixer.. and it is a good thing that kids can buy inexpensive gear that kinda works. It is just a matter of enabling people that simply cannot afford the real stuff. That is a good thing. The fact that a Behringer mixer doesn´t deliver the goods as well as an Allen & Heath mixer is not really a problem unless you actually need the performance of a well designed mixer. The difference in performance is however significant.

BTW, Allen & Heath is like the RME brand: Reliable and serious stuff.

Shocked Sad
Truth be told, there are a few odd eggs in the Behringer product lines that are pretty decent and dare I say it...even quite good.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
MadScientist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The fact that the off-the-shelf mixers come with a fixed configuration = you gotta do some serious research before you know which mixer fits your intended use. [...]

Not to mention knowing as a newcomer which brands are available, and which ones among those are actually worth paying for.

Don't believe I had heard about A&H before now, but their existence has been noted for future reference. Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadScientist wrote:
Not to mention knowing as a newcomer which brands are available, and which ones among those are actually worth paying for.

Good point.

It is simply impossible to trust the marketing as most of the vendors in the budget segments go for an all out cleavage fest rather than a realistic description of the products. The exception is some of the saner brands like Allen & Heath. BTW, even Midas, which is a great brand with great products, are buying into the cleavage marketing madness.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Actually, I do think there is a use for Behringer sub-budget mixers.

We know.

"Door Stops"! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

Actually, I do think there is a use for Behringer sub-budget mixers.

We know.

"Door Stops"! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Eeeeeeek... guess what... I just figured out that the Behringer holding company thingie.. the Music-Group has bought both Midas and Klark Teknik.

Quote:
We are delighted to announce that the MUSIC Group (www.music-group.net) has signed an agreement to acquire MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK.

No wonder the Midas marketing stuff has fallen into a wet-shirt pit.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's all down hill from now onwards! Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah.. well.. possibly.. or not..

We can only hope that Midas and Klark Teknik will survive the ordeal. Both are brilliant brands with excellent products.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Behringer has announced this mixer:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFX1604.aspx

..which is evidently mostly a sub-budget response to this design:

ZED R16

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

evidently..... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
evidently..... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Right, so the obvious choice is to read up on the R16. lust for the R16, get some hot glossy magazines with pictures of the R16.. (but telling everyone you bought the magazines for the articles).. and then you buy the Behringer Xrotum 1604 half expecting and half pretending that it is pretty much the same thing at a much lower price and thus the best bargain. Guess who is going to have one of those Hunter S. Thompson moments when the sad truth detonates?

Well, I could be wrong. It could be that the mighty Xrotum is designed by the Midas company. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Xrotum

Scrotum?????! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry... XENYX ... basically the same thing.. not?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 60 of 74 [1832 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, ..., 72, 73, 74 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: