electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Why not, Apple?
Page 1 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Why not, Apple? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coming from an other thread, this is something that has bothered me since I got an iPod Touch from Apple...

First of all, there is no doubt that these multi-touch devices are brilliant products, most of all hardware wise. However, I find it hard to put up with the numerous software restrictions imposed by Apple, and do some times wonder how app developers deal with this... For a while, I tried to work out what the deal really is, but of course Apple corp won't let anyone outside know... It's starting to feel like a cult, just a little bit. Wink

OK, so there are benefits to having centralized control, like reducing phishing and other scams, and maybe also a more streamlined app experience, but regardless of recent Android IQ Carrier news, I still don't feel that Apple really has the advantage of having the user's (or even developer's) interests in mind here.

I can understand that they erase your ipod music library if you connect up to a different iTunes than your own - that's to be expected in the current corporate climate, but I do not understand why apps can't access the itunes library, or why you are forced to use Wifi for so many tasks, for example sending OSC messages or uploading tracks straight into apps... When they start licencing out the third party use of their dock port it gets a little too much for me, let alone the changing around of connectors for every hardware upgrade! I mean, does that not at the very least make you wonder?

I still enjoy using my iPod, but I have stopped upgrading it since os3 point something (so forgive me if I have missed something essential) and I refuse to get an iPad because of all this, even if it could directly benefit me in my music. I should not have to jailbreak my device to get the most out of it.

Or maybe I'm just being difficult?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

difficult .. dunno ... I sort of feel the same and it holds me back from getting an iPad too ... must say that I was not too happy either with software upgrades breaking apps.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Why not, Apple? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

I still enjoy using my iPod, but I have stopped upgrading it since os3 point something (so forgive me if I have missed something essential) and I refuse to get an iPad because of all this, even if it could directly benefit me in my music. I should not have to jailbreak my device to get the most out of it.

Or maybe I'm just being difficult?

Why did you stop at 3? Not only are you being difficult, but you'll also being paranoid! Laughing

Cult of Apple? What about "cult of Clavia" or i dunno- Moog? "Coca-Cola versus Pepsi". Sameo, sameo! Wink Very Happy

Buy a fecking iPad now. That's an order!! salut
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although I have never even used a PC and always had Apple products, Apple clearly wants total control. They can carry along with their jackboot mentality as much as they like- who cares! My kids have always managed to jailbreak their iPods moments after they are released. To every Apple employee there are at least a thousand geeks working ways around Apple's global domination agenda. God bless the f**king neckbeards! God bless 'em all! And they do this for freedom, and for free... well a few packets of instant noodles and some energy drinks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally happy with the product, apart from that awful logo. I just hope something else comes along from elsewhere, perhaps China. Apple needs a blood nose. I certainly don't worship Apple. They are simply the best of a bad bunch.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
They are simply the best of a bad bunch.

Bollocks! Why are they so bad? I dont get it! Laughing

You don't buy a Braun stereo designed by Dieter Rams and then expect it to play 78's do you? It won't play what was meant 50 years ago because it was designed with the future in mind. Simple as that. Laughing

I can't stand these 'Apple haters'. Get a fecking PC if you can't take the shit- or take up flower arranging instead!! Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
-minus-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was quick! I'll see if I can purchase iFlorist V2.1 from the Apple iTunes Store! Laughing
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I can't stand these 'Apple haters'.

Where did you find those?

Oh and BTW them youtube thingies show up like some extra white space here, very hard to tell they are even present.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The IOS devices are examples of concept driven products. An iPad is way more than just the hardware, it is part of a huge concept that IMO is not bad at all. It is however important to understand the concept before you decide to buy the iPad.

There are several approaches to this.

Here is one option:

You love the iPad and what the concept promises; but you really hate the perceived restraints on freedom that the Apple ecosystem enforces. You then promptly buy a tablet from some other vendor and expecting all the good things the iPad offers, but this time you will be free of all evil constraints. After a day or a week you suddenly discover why all the people doing the stuff you wanted to do with your tablet are using iPads.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm nurturing a bad back and I was bored! Laughing
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
After a day or a week you suddenly discover why all the people doing the stuff you wanted to do with your tablet are using iPads.

Brilliantly said! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
-minus-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look, like I said, I have never used a 'conventional' computer... a PC, Windows or whatever you call them. I wouldn't even know how to turn one on. I just treat my Mac like I would any other product I use daily, much like toilet paper.

I must admit Apple do seem to be picking up quite a following these days. When I happen to walk past my local Mac Store in town, I do see many happy, joyful people in there! They are converting from the plebeian PC ranks to the far superior Mac echelons. They have that distant Replicant stare with a Scientology afterglow. But hell, I love them all!

My Apple Mac has served me well. The start up tone annoys me more that Mr Jobs' skivvy or jeans ever did, but still, it does the job, and as I rarely have to restart the thing, I don't hear it often. What more could one want? I simply love everything Apple has ever done, including the scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse! Bravo! The only thing I love more than my Mac is the Apple sticker with swastika overlay on my front door.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
The only thing I love more than my Mac is the Apple sticker with swastika overlay on my front door.

Right... both Ghandi and that other dude had a hairy thing just below the nose. It is a matter of which way the swastika turns.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem, for me as an Apple user, is that it looks like they want to turn their computers into some kind of overgrown iPads. They want to merge product lines. They are veering away from being a computer maker. they want to sell other kinds of (probably more profitable) products.

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"DonĀ“t mention computers"?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feared the worst with 10.7, but it seems the IOS stains on Lion are almost invisible. That is good thing.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder if and when I will upgrade to Lion.

Quote:
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
the problem, for me as an Apple user, is that it looks like they want to turn their computers into some kind of overgrown iPads.

Too right! You never wanted to climb aboard the iPhone generation, and now you are left behind standing alone in the cold dark wasteland... So what do you expect? Laughing Laughing Laughing

The iPad interface is great. I'm actually typing this on my iPad.

seraph wrote:
They want to merge product lines. They are veering away from being a computer maker. they want to sell other kinds of (probably more profitable) products.

But Apple never made computers as such- that was a windows thing. Apple were always a product maker. They manufactured a product that just happened to be a very good computer. Now they (understandably) want to branch out into newer and more different market with the technology they pioneered
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I wonder if and when I will upgrade to Lion.

Laughing

Worry not, for I am still at 10.6.8 too! Embarassed Laughing
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I'll pile up a bunch of "computers" that will stay with me for the rest of my life. fuck the App store and everything else Twisted Evil Shocked

Now you will excuse me! I have to go back playing some music Cool

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have 10.7 on the laptop and the living room media system mac mini. 10.6.8 on the rest.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
OK, I'll pile up a bunch of "computers" that will stay with me for the rest of my life. fuck the App store and everything else Twisted Evil Shocked

Now there is an idea ... to hell with updates too!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
seraph wrote:

http://www.survival-center.com/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
http://www.survival-center.com/

It doesn't mention updates (apart from that they themselves apparently fell into that mistake), so that's cool I guess.

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

I'll die before learning how to get everything I can from the gear I already have. That could not prevent some severe case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome in the future but reasonably speaking, who needs updates?
Wink

Quote:
Page 1 of 7 [166 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: