electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Real-world performance: Pacarana vs Paca
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Fluky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Real-world performance: Pacarana vs Paca Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know or have experience with the real-world performance difference between a Pacarana and a Paca?
Regarding the hardware it seems that the Pacarana could be around twice as fast as the Paca. But Paca is said to be 5x faster than the old Capybara...

Is it easy/difficult to max out these systems anyway?
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It really depends on what you want to do... In one way, it is easy to overwhelm the processors if you are not careful - cross synthesis being one example. These algorithms are perhaps not as efficient as some plug-ins, but then they do a brilliant job!

You always have some alternatives to doing things, so for me - yes the Paca has done everything I have asked of it without running out of cycles. However, I have had to do a lot of thinking and testing before committing myself to a finished sound/patch, and restricting processing is sometimes inherent in that thinking.

An original Capybara with 4 processors is quite humble compared to the Pacarana, or even the Paca, which is half of the Pacarana. The Pacarana is more powerful than a fully loaded Capybara. You get ample amounts RAM too, 1 Gig in the Paca, and 2 in the rana - and these are upgradable too, to twice of original size if I remember correctly.

So if you ask me then yes, they have enough muscle! If you have the funds, you can expand them by linking them together, as many as you want, using a simple ethernet cable. As I said though, there are always alternatives in Kyma, and some very clever people who are ready to help too in the Community. Smile

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: