electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jürgen Haible is dead
Page 5 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
frequencycentral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So sad. A genius. And such a legacy.
Cardinen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very sad news.

RIP
oldcrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From now on I will place an ichthys on every board I make (synth related or not), in tribute to JH. It really feels to me like I've lost a brother that I suddenly can't talk to anymore.

Crow
/**/

de_engineered wrote:
This is the last thing I and everyone else expected to come home too, man. RIP Herr Haible.

What now of the vocoder he was working on ? We're not gonna see any other PCBs with a fish on them again either... ;(
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omissis

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thx Juergen
Thx for all the times we've argued about the secrets in the CS-80: you were very devoted to these synthesizers, and all the CS owners and enthusiasts community will be missing you.
RIP
Max

Harry_W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: News about Jurgen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everybody,

the funeral service at Jurgen's church yesterday was very moving. The church (which belongs to the United Methodist Church UMC) was stuffed with people. People from his home group he had led for two years, and a co-worker in their Alpha group projects talked about the big gap Jurgen will leave in the church. The last years, Juergen had been very dedicated in reaching people with the Gospel. In his sermon, the pastor Eberhard Schilling summarized Jurgen's live very vividly and also pointed out that he was a recognized expert in the world-wide electronic music community (which normally people would not know in Germany, because Jurgen never made much ado about it). To make this clear, the pastor read out loud the e-mail Gary had written to him (translated into German). Btw., the sermon was about one of Jurgens favourite scripture passages (John 8:36 - "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed."). If someone is interested in the sermon, which touched many points and characteristics of Jurgen's life, I will try to dig in my memory and give a summary (pls PM me in case).

As I mentioned earlier, I had not met Jurgen for years, and had been unclear about the reason for the changes Jurgen had undergone in his life for the last, say, 2-3 years. The sermon and the talks with some of his relatives shed more light on this subject. More about it later, if you like.

The reason of his death was a sudden heart attack, which seemed to be connected with a severe bronchial catarrh he had gone through, which affected his lungs and obviously also his heart. At least he had to take medicine at that time. Jurgen was not working at Siemens at the time of the attack, since he still recovered from the disease.

Before I went to the service, I quickly had printed out the current state of all your condolence notes from this forum (and others) and collected them in a spring folder (about 30 pages). After the service, I handed it to Jurgen's wife Birgit. She says thanks to everybody who found some good words for Jurgen.

Now to the practical things:
I talked to pastor Eberhard and adressed your question of opening a memorial fund for Jurgen. We will keep in contact and develop this idea further; for the time being you could support a new project of the church which was also the will of Jurgen's relatives: the offerings of the funeral services should go to that project. But I have no information yet about a bank account. Please be patient.

I also had a longer talk with Birgit's mother (Jurgen's mother-in-law). From this talk I know that it would REALLY be a good idea to support Jurgen's family. Birgit has to work as a nurse to make a living; some of you know that Jurgen had broken up with his wife (divorce proceeding was on the way), but not because they had issues, but because Jurgen had set "other priorities" for his new life. This may sound strange to you; I would ask you not to judge anybody without deeper knowledge of the context. A major concern of Jurgen always was the future and welfare of his two children.

So far for now; please keep "online" for more news.

Harry
Mongo1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
the pastor read out loud the e-mail Gary had written to him (translated into German).

I don't know what to say, except I wish I'd been more eloquent.

Quote:
From this talk I know that it would REALLY be a good idea to support Jurgen's family.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a lot of interest in helping a church. My own father passed away when I was two, so I know how difficult the journey ahead will be for those children. Hopefully we can determine a way to help them directly.

BTW - Thanks for your updates Harry. It's so kind of you to do this.

Gary
keithwin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou Harry
Harry_W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Quote:
the pastor read out loud the e-mail Gary had written to him (translated into German).

I don't know what to say, except I wish I'd been more eloquent.

Quote:
From this talk I know that it would REALLY be a good idea to support Jurgen's family.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a lot of interest in helping a church. My own father passed away when I was two, so I know how difficult the journey ahead will be for those children. Hopefully we can determine a way to help them directly.

BTW - Thanks for your updates Harry. It's so kind of you to do this.

Gary

You're welcome.

You are free to do whatever you want. My idea of the church project was just to give you some hint how you could support the dearest interests Jurgen had in his life. He was fully engaged in everything he did, and most of all in telling people about Jesus. I visited his church at the funeral for the first time; I have the impression that it is a good church (in Germany, a lot of strange things are going on on that matter). They (I mean Jurgens church) live by donations only (it is not a state church), and they certainly do not waste their money.

Of course in this case it is still better to support the family directly. You will get informed as soon as I have cleared out how. Sad enough, during the meal after the service I was sitting next to JH's mother-in-law, together with his little daughter Anais. The girl has of course no idea yet what happened and what will influence many years of her life; maybe she is already looking forward to the next weekend when she would have met her dad...

Greetings,
Harry
squarewhite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my condolences.
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: News about Jurgen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harry_W wrote:
I also had a longer talk with Birgit's mother (Jurgen's mother-in-law). From this talk I know that it would REALLY be a good idea to support Jurgen's family.

This is probably a little premature, but I wonder if it were possible that someone would take on the sale of Jürgen's PCBs as a profit-sharing venture with his family? Could even be someone like Bridechamber (if Scott wanted to do that) who already has the infrastructure built up.

I'm sure the expense of buying new runs of PCBs could be a problem, but again, if it's a profit-sharing deal it might work out.

I have no idea how much income it would generate but I'm sure any supplemental income would be appreciated. And then Jürgen's designs could continue to make others happy.

Just an idea....

rosch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RIP,
condolences to his family
Sad
Waveguide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Jurgen Haible is dead Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very shocked and saddened by this news.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Life is unfair but certainly too short. Really makes you stop and take stock.

CH
Waveguide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: News about Jurgen Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought the same things you mention here. Also similar thoughts about premature timing but, I would be on board to help if I could.

Again, what a terrible loss.

ch

jumunius wrote:
Harry_W wrote:
I also had a longer talk with Birgit's mother (Jurgen's mother-in-law). From this talk I know that it would REALLY be a good idea to support Jurgen's family.

This is probably a little premature, but I wonder if it were possible that someone would take on the sale of Jürgen's PCBs as a profit-sharing venture with his family? Could even be someone like Bridechamber (if Scott wanted to do that) who already has the infrastructure built up.

I'm sure the expense of buying new runs of PCBs could be a problem, but again, if it's a profit-sharing deal it might work out.

I have no idea how much income it would generate but I'm sure any supplemental income would be appreciated. And then Jürgen's designs could continue to make others happy.

Just an idea....
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: JH PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I knew Juergen nearly 18 years.
If it would possible to keep the PCB production and give all the gain
to Birgit and the childrens, I would do it. Just because they will need that.

And just because it keeps the spirit of Juergen alive.

Benefit sharing NO WAY!!! I wouldn't need benefit.
But all these topics like you said are too early...
lambshain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jürgen was a so geat inspiration to us all , a great work done through him....

i know, where he s now, there s no more pain...

a big loss for this world. may his family be blessed, i am willing to help.
oldcrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am interested in maintaining board production as well. I have a manufacturing firm, so devoting a shelf to JH inventory is no problem.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
frenchyinmunich

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Firm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know dear electronic friend, Juergen knew also quite fine Mr Linntronics...

He has also a quite famous company for a long time... In addition they livedin the same city.

To my taste, it is important that the organization would go between the hand of a person doing this without any profit....

Neither getting prestige, promotion, advertising, etc...
First because it joins the "last" Juergen ideas...
And because the money would go for sure to the children...

And I really hope that the family will do the right choice because
with the actual situation, I am quite sure that EVERYTHING can be sold
extremly fast... And some big gain could be perform...

Better that the total gain goes to the childrens... Juergen has got a brother in addition... He could maintain that... IF he need any technical help I would accept to help. And he can better control the money flow etc...
The "only" difficult stuff for a no electronician, is to recognize what has to be send for a production and project... The rest is peanuts...
LFLab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would certainly be my preference to support his wife and children, rather than an institution.
KEYKEYEYEKIT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R.I.P.
Harry_W

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: In memory of JH
Subject description: A video with a snippet of Jurgens music is now available on youtube
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I had told you that my wife is a video artist. Now and then, she also included Jurgen's music, as a kind of soundtrack, into her works.

As a memorial for Jurgen, she now published one of them on her youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpGFkc5GNxs&feature=share

In correspondence to Jurgen's music style, this is a very "weird" and "spooky" movie, the footage taken on a Easter holiday trip near Prague/Czechia at an abandoned old castle-like house.

Jurgen never minded this usage of his music, because of our friendship; but in the beginning he had been VERY sceptical about my wife's attempt to combine his "too dark" music with video. The outcome finally convinced him; he even said that the video "fitted like a glove" to the music. It was shown to the public (at my wife's first video show in Erlangen) in the presence of Jurgen about two, three years ago.

I cannot tell you right now which title or album this music was; I guess something from "Holiday in Purgatory".

If you like more, maybe my wife will put more on the net.

Harry
magnus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear all,

I just received this news from Rich Jansen (list-master of Synth-DIY) as a consequence of reporting Synth-DIY down (also from Scott Gravenhorst as part of the same exercise), which is also the list where I met and learned to know Jürgen. We had many discussions both on and off list, and shared ideas and schematics like good friends and colleagues do.

His passing is sad, and I have just recovered from another friends passing in more or less the same way.

I have two (!!) of the vocoder boards to solder, a project I discussed with him over the years and also shared some schematics with him which got the project to grew.

He will be missed. This is a sad day indeed.

Thank you for all the ideas, friendly support, good projects and naturally, thank you for all the fish.

My condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.
Magnus Danielson
Fellow Synth-DIY friend
MickeyDelp

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jürgen's work was an inspiration to so many, including me. May he rest in peace.
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such a shock to read about this terrible thing. Going back many years, back to when the the gas station was still active at the very least, I found JH to be a decent, polite and high class individual who I admired a lot. I don't really know what more to say, this has saddened me a lot.
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Building JH's projects totally provided me with the small amount of hair I have on my DIY chest. I am thankful for his projects and the knowledge he's shared. Love and thoughts to his family.
kjackman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, this is terrible news. I guess I should check the forums more often. Jurgen was always so friendly in the forums, helping anyone that needed help.

I have two Living VCO PCBs still sitting, untouched, in the envelope he sent to me last year. I had planned to build both and sell one as a finished module. But now I'm not so sure I want to sell one. Especially if it's going to be hard to get more PCBs.

I add my voice to those that wish for his PCBs to continue being manufactured and sold, and his designs and engineering to be preserved on the web. I also hope, like many of you, that the proceeds can be used to support his children, at least from sales of the remaining physical stock. I hope more can be manufactured in the future somehow. His designs are unique, and a part of his legacy. They should live on to bless SDIYers not yet born.
Page 5 of 8 [190 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Miscellaneous News
Jump to: