electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Weekend of Weirdness
Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Weekend of Weirdness Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have some chips and some transistors and some ideas and a secret laboratory and I am devoting a 3 day weekend entirely to creating weird sound machines made from as few chips as possible.
What will I make!? What will it sound like!? Only Poseidon knows! Shocked (the king of the sea and therefore sea moss too)
I will share the results of my work here.

Crazyness.png
 Description:
This is just a sample of the crazyness which could be in store!
 Filesize:  19.14 KB
 Viewed:  394 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Crazyness.png

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some progress from earlier this evening after venturing into the city to buy potentiometers.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's pretty much done now. I just need to fine tune things a bit Smile
Circuit description: a few low frequency oscillators made with a 7414 go into an R2RD2 resistor ladder/droid and then act as a control voltage for a VCO, then the waveform is recombobulated by my my patented pulse width modulation circuit Very Happy
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:

my patented pulse width modulation circuit Very Happy

care to share?

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's probably the standard thing everyone uses Rolling Eyes but I shall explain anyway;
Simply use an op amp as a comparator.
Feed one of the inputs with an audio frequency waveform with sloping sides like a triangle sawtooth or even a sine would work. Then feed the other with a voltage, if it is above or below the peak to peak voltage of the audio waveform the comparator will output a pulse wave of 0% or 100% so it is a good idea to keep the modulation voltage between the peak to peak voltage of the audio wave.

I'll attach a graph, graphs explain everything better.

The blue triangle wave is the audio frequency input, the green rising line is the control voltage, the red wave is the output.
(the corners of the pulse are slightly rounded because I used an LM324 op amp, it would be squarer if you put it through a schmitt trigger afterwards or used a better op amp)
You can see that when the control voltage goes above and below the peak and trough of the wave, the duty cycle is 100% or 0%, the output of the comparator flips when the audio wave crosses the control voltage.

PWM graph.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.47 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)

PWM graph.png

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Saturday: 1700

So... Much ... Tweaking.

Two important lessons learnt from this:
Don't use TTL.
Buy the right potentiometers by double checking all your readings first.

I don't have the camera right now or I'd record a video of my latest developments, the device now makes even more bleeps and the LFO modulation of the pulse width is working great Very Happy
Still more work to do though!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome, thanks for the explanation.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem Wink
I'm still making progress, but I need to attenuate the control waveform better.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After hours of fine tuning and fiddling it is finally finished! It's only on breadboard for the moment but I shall solder it up and put it in a box soon Very Happy
Circuit diagram coming soon, watch this space!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The point of this project was to finish it quickly (over one weekend) and use as few IC's as possible and still get alot of bleepy weird noises.

Now we can get down to the technical details Smile

For this device I only used an LM324 op amp, and a 7414 inverting schmitt trigger (note: never use a 7414 schmitt trigger, it's TTL and therefore very difficult to make work properly, use a 40106 instead)

The diagram shows a 40106 but these values are for a 7414 schmitt trigger.

Description of operation:
Four of the schmitts are used to make oscillators which go into four rungs of an R2R ladder, which gives the nice crazy control voltage for the VCO. This voltage is attenuated and re-combobulated by the op amps following it (lots of tweaking was required and resistors needed to be added to the potentiometers to eliminate the dead zones at the end of the turn). Ultimately they give level control and initial pitch control.
The last schmitt trigger was used to make an LFO, attenuated in the same manner and used as a pulse width modulation control.
I don't mean to blow my own horn but I think I did pretty well to get so much out of just two chips. Laughing

R2RD2 schematic.png
 Description:
Error correction: R12 should connect to C5, not the output of U5. The cap gives a sort of triangular wave and the output will give a square wave.
 Filesize:  38.99 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)

R2RD2 schematic.png

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent! what fun, scope videos and wacky sounds. nice thread.

Les

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inventor! where you been?
dougseidel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: totally cool machine
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's totally great - thanks. great movie too.

Doug

Mongo1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool stuff! It's a rare instrument that can capture the ambiance of both a Bagpipe AND a Geiger Counter, but I think you've just about done it. Laughing

Gary
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
inventor! where you been?

i was posting this summer but got little response cause other people have outdoorsy things do do in the summertime and em slows down on the forum in summer, then i stopped for a while because i moved to texas where i had a wild and insane adventure which landed me in a rehab center where i am now. Things are just settling in to the point that I can get back on em now.

Les

Mongo1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
because i moved to texas where i had a wild and insane adventure which landed me in a rehab center where i am now.

Wow - one more data point in my lifelong thesis "Stay the hell out of Texas". Hope you're doing ok...

Gary
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mongo1 wrote:
Quote:
because i moved to texas where i had a wild and insane adventure which landed me in a rehab center where i am now.

Wow - one more data point in my lifelong thesis "Stay the hell out of Texas". Hope you're doing ok...

Gary

Mine is just "stay the hell out of america" Wink I jest.

Also: Yes, even my grandad says it sounds like bagpipes Laughing It's really good fun though and it worked exactly how I wanted it to Very Happy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually it is Texas that is saving me, not causing the problems. I had a poor opinion of Texas before as well, imagining the place to be full of gun toting republican waco fanatics. Well nothing could be further from the truth. People here are friendly and go out of their way to help you, the medical facilities are excellent, and even the police are nice. Compared to the east coast or west coast, Texas is the best kept secret in the USA. I'm very happy here. Who would have thought that?
Mongo1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad to hear that - I've got some friends that absolutely love the place. I've had some bad samples I guess, most notably driving through west Texas with the family when we moved cross country. Nothing but Rednecks and Dairy Queens as far as the eye could see (and you can see a LONG way in west Texas).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Stay strong and feel better...

Gary
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd have to say Florida is a much worse place than Texas. Also, I completely agree about West Texas. Pretty miserable.
Glad to hear you're on a better track Les! Best wishes!

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And for those critical of America, let this man explain to you that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itf7IS3p93s

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Carry on Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahahhahha, thanks for the laugh!

Yes, sometimes it feels like a train wreck in slow motion...

Les

dougseidel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway, I'd love to see a picture of this thing when you put it in a box, etc. And then i'd like to hear more music from it!

Doug

Page 1 of 2 [50 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: