electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
MIDI-Transfer between Slots
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
FaschingsPrinz

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: MIDI-Transfer between Slots
Subject description: How to transfer MIDI-commands between slots ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello friends,

I found in the manual, that it is possible to transfer MIDI-commands between slots. But I was not able to accomplish that.
If I have a MIDI-Note-send module in SlotA, how can I transfer this MIDI-Commands to another slot ? I would like to use the notes generateb by a self-made arpeggiator in several slots but don´t know how.
Usualy I would use the regular busses to transfer the cv, but because I only use all busses and fx-busses to transfer other signals, I ran out of transfer-options.

I can choose "SLOT B" as destination on the send-module, but what do I have to use in slot B to receive it there ?
On the receive-modules I only have the choice between channel 1-16, this and keyboard.
And further more, there is no note-output, but just the trigger- and velocity-outs.

Thanx for your help,
FaschingsPrinz

Estarriol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this note sending to another slot has no difference than playing a keyboard for that slot, so KBD or MONO modules should work.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In slot B you use "this" is channel in the CtrlRcv module. This will receive data sent to SlotB from other slots.
FaschingsPrinz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Estarriol

The problem is, I do not "play" the notes on the keyboard but generate cv for note, gate/trigger and velocity.
These notes (cv-values) are actually transfered via MIDI-OUT to MIDI-expanders.
But I would like to further process these cv-data in other slots, but don´t know how to send it there.

A work-around is to connect the MIDI out (hardwarer) to a MIDI-splitter (hardware; by midi-solutions) and send it from there to the expander and use the copy of the signal (done by the splitter) and route it with a MIDI-cable back to the MIDI-IN of the G2; I use this for simultanious movement of encoders without having to use morphes, because the value shown on the front are actual values and no cryptic -64 to +64.

FaschingsPrinz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so you mean, I should use the CtrlRcv-module instead of the NoteRecv-module and assign a not used controller-number to that, and use a separate module for gate/trigger, velocity and note-number ?
I never thought about that !

Thanx a lot !!

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI-Transfer between Slots
Subject description: How to transfer MIDI-commands between slots ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FaschingsPrinz wrote:
I can choose "SLOT B" as destination on the send-module, but what do I have to use in slot B to receive it there ?

You can use the KBD module from the in/out group. It will give you note,gate and velocity from the note send in slot A.
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I missed that you were using NoteSend and NoteRcv. The same principle should apply there, if you set the NoteSend to channel=SlotB, and NoteRcv (in slot B) to this, that should work too.

/Stefan

Estarriol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys if topic author wants to send different notes to slotB, NOTERCV module may not work, it's made to capture ONE note (E4, C3 etc) AFAIR.
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah of course you're right Estarriol.

Won't simply the keyboard module (sixth icon under In/Out) work?

Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FaschingsPrinz: Oh I realize you may want to send multiple note ons to the same slot... Yeah that's tricky - your description of how you'd use the CC modules might work for that.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
...Won't simply the keyboard module (sixth icon under In/Out) work?

The monokey and keyboard modules will work, but are not absolutely necessary to work with notesend modules, as you can build patches that work without the key modules (with Osc, Filter, and EG modules that have the “KBT” function).

Estarriol is correct, as long as a patch in a slot will respond to normal MIDI keyboard input, you do not need to do anything special to it for it to work with a NoteSend module from another slot.

A working example of how this is done is in my noodle perf “Fast Thinking”:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5099.html

OT: That’s weird – Jan’s reply to that topic has disappeared Shocked Exclamation

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

But I said something like that it is a nice patch and maybe that it was played on the noodle radio, and also that there is a recorded version of it on the forums that occasionally gets played on the radio here still.

Anyway .. no idea how that post got deleted.

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, if my memory serves me right, your reply was a statement that you liked “Fast Thinking” and considered it to be a *song* because it had a planned ending (as opposed to other noodles which normally continue to play as long as the patch/perf is loaded). Howard’s reply also reflects your comment about its ending. Still – weird about the disappearing reply. I’m sorry everyone (and especially FaschingsPrinz) for getting off topic about this.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: