electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Fonik 292c LPG
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LFLab

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fonik 292c LPG Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished a eurorack build of a dual lowpass gate using Matthias' older board designs. I tacked on a section with PC mount Cliff jacks, and a doepfer header for the power on one of the boards (the other board is connected to the first one using bare wire).

Managed to squeeze it into 10TE, but it's a tight fit.
Used toner transfer for the front panel (and it shows), better than a sharpie anyway. It seems the toner does not like to stick to the anodised aluminium as well as to copper clad FR4, and at least my paper (Epson inkjet photopaper) always seems to leave behind a white residue which I scratch of when etching boards, but can't with these front panels since that'll damage the surface.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I used a VTL5C3/2 for the right LPG and stacked two Silonex NSL32SR2's on top of each other for the left one.
There's a definite difference in speed between the two, the VTL is nice and punchy, the NSLs are much slower (and a LOT cheaper).
It's good to have both flavours in this dual, but for anyone looking for the authentic LPG experience I wouldn't recommend them.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome build, man! it is great to see someone is using my layout for home-etching, all the more that there have been so many PCB sales...

you did use the new layout with the res mod, right? the funny thing is that the old layout (straight without resonance) provided footprints for cliff sockets already Very Happy

BTW your panel looks really great!

old version PCBs

congrats on the 10TE. i fitted the straight version to 8TE dual LPG:

dual LPG 8 TE

rear view

self etched LPGs anyone?

LFLab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Matthias, yeah i know have to do some editing in illustrator to attach some cliff jacks. Makes mounting the pcb a lot easier. Like your layouts a lot, plenty of room to be able to use a variety of components (filmcaps primarily, i sometimes a big lot of them on ebay, but those aren't necessarily the smallest ones).

btw., also did a dual ssm2044 vcf from your layout, that one did have the cliffjacks (also not the latest version Wink )
tehskull

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great Jarno! I think the panel looks fine. I like the look of that better than the "print panel, laminate it, glue it to metal plate" method I use that can be seen here. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50877.html Keep up the good work Smile
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the look of your panels as well, and I do want to give the laminate method a try because I love the look of those really colourful LSD-esque panels.
Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice looking module! I just completed my double Clee LPG, but it looks way-bad. I tried a new way of making panels and it was not sufficient.

Can someone clue me in about "Cliff jacks" ?

What's the advantage of using them?
Thanks
Gary
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I think the main advantage is that it's really easy to mount the boards, in a pretty sturdy way. The PC mount pots are still pretty wobbly if you have a deep board (because they have three thin legs on the same plane, while the jacks have legs behind each other which helps with creating a more rigid mount).
I do hear some things about those cliff jacks being prone to bad contacts over time, haven't had that happen with my DIY stuff, but one of my ASys modules has a wonky jack (which is also a cliff jack).

You can get them at Rapid Cliff Jack 3.5mm
Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah! Thanks

I do the MOTM stuff, so I tend to have a lot more wiggle room than the Euro crowd. That's probably why this hasn't come up for me.

Gary
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in regards to the 3.6mm jacks: there is a western hemisphere standard and a eastern hemisphere standard. they are not the same, they differ slightly. don't ask me which is which, however, cliff produced this jack in both instances. the one that did not work with most patch cables are discontinued. AFAIK some older modules used the discontinued.

IMHO the cliff jacks now available work fine with all patch cables, at least that's my experience, and i have 5 different types. and believe me, they are not all the same. if you have different brands available, compare the shape of the tip and the width of the insulation ring between tip and shaft...

anyways, the cliff sockets work well with all patch cables i have, and the original doepfer patch cables i have work well with all jacks. alas, there a some combinations (jack/patch cable) that are a little bit stiff.

BTW did you take a closer look at the wonky AS socket? maybe you can fix it by bending down the tip contact with a screwdriver or similar?

Mongo1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's interesting about the different standards.

I was just reading an article about D'addario, who usually make guitar strings. They've launched a new line of guitar cables now that they claim are more reliable. They say they analyzed every 1/4" female jack they could find, and determined that different vendors made the little arm with a wide variety of different lengths. Many of them were completely out of spec. That in turn meant that some male jacks would not lock in place on certain female jacks. They claim that they redesigned the male connector by widening the little dip in the shaft, so that it now locks on every jack made by anybody.

You'd think something that simple would be easy, but I guess not.

Gary
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
BTW did you take a closer look at the wonky AS socket? maybe you can fix it by bending down the tip contact with a screwdriver or similar?

Haven't taken the time to do this, but that's exactly what I was planning to do wave (no thumbsup emoticon? a wave it is!)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: