electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Spartanite Case?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Spartanite Case?
Subject description: You know which one I'm talking about
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone here must have picked up one of these cases at one time or another, over the years

You're never going to do anything with it, so would you mind selling it to me?

I'd even pay well for a non-spartanite case if it had the same look and dimensions.

Last edited by ericcoleridge on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: WTB Spartanite attache case-- will pay any price or trade
Subject description: You know which one I'm talking about
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
Someone here must have picked up one of these cases at one time or another, over the years-- knowing what it was used for. . . . . .

The originals were modded to have a removable lid, so a standard attache case won't do, and I'm not sure if the 'Disco Deck' style lid holders are still available. I had to renovate one of them a few years ago, so I know the problems.

My suggestion, in the interim, is to take a look a what Pelican have to offer. They do panel mount frames for their cases too, both for the main body, and the lid.

http://www.pelican.com/

Local to me, Constellation Luggage, did a case that was close, but sadly they are no longer trading.

I do have a couple of a particular type of 'slow motion' tuning dials left from doing that type of repair.

SubG (deactivated)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think if a guy have one of these cases he will sell it on ebay imo.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the Pelican cases are one option I've been looking at recently. As you say, they support front panels by design, and there's even an attache model that's close to the right measurements-- but unfortunately not perfectly close. The Spartanite case is about is about 17" x 13" inside dimensions, the Pelican 1490 is about 17" x 11". The AKS panel is so densely implemented however, the loss of 2" panel space would force me to cram everything so much as to throw off the design.

Without any cases available that are even close to the unusual shape of the Spartanite, I've also considered using a nice Zero Halliburton. They also support instrument panels, have a 18" x 13" model, and are beautiful cases. But it's just not the same...

Frankly, even if I had a Spartanite case, it would still be pretty difficult reproducing the black plastic frame and inside aluminum enclosure of the AKS. There's alot custom fabricated parts to this little guy unfortunately.

The VCS3 is really a much more realistic candidate for reproduction. It doesn't have the same sensibilities as an AKS, but it does have it's own charm. I've been thinking of reproducing the panels and putting them in two sides of a case, maybe until I'm able to build a proper cabinet.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sold on eBay in June of this year, no mention of EMS:

http://www.befr.ebay.be:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190543431237
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
The VCS3 is really a much more realistic candidate for reproduction. It doesn't have the same sensibilities as an AKS, but it does have it's own charm. I've been thinking of reproducing the panels and putting them in two sides of a case, maybe until I'm able to build a proper cabinet.

I have done repairs on both, back in their heyday, and electronically, there is very little difference. The VCS3, in my opinion, is easier to use, however, because of it's vastly nicer layout.

Most of the custom stuff was small volume, local makers: The KS keyboard cover was a vac formed moulding, I think.

as a mater of interest, I've done one keyboard like it as an experiment, and without using the hard to get 74 series TTL. Since Robin Wood does not support the KS, it might make a good 'tribute' module, though I'd go with a small micro for the sequencer, to allow for mosre customisation. I wonder if the purists would object if such a module were made the same physical size as the KS? I might have to brush up the design, and ask Robin Wood for his opinion. The Wasp Keyboard was similar, though worked in a different way, I recall.

(edited for the correct Robin - had mistaken Robin 'Devilfish' Whittle for Robin 'EMS' Wood)!)

Mooger5

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1495
oneoff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi.. i bought a spartanite case in ebay uk 2 years a go, was quite pricey
even without EMS mention. about 190 pounds.

i did the modification inside myself. not a big issue if you are a handy guy.
it takes some cutting - the plastic seperation inside the middle frame , the
case that attached to one lead , and then there are the hinges that needs to be cut on one side in order to detach the lead.
i admit these are hard to come by. i wish that someone will try to reproduce it someday. i did consider it myself but it's not on my budget..they are plastic molded (expensive technology) as opposed the the KS case which is as said, vac. formed.
good luck ..hope you'll get one .
oneoff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW it is a British made case,made in the 60's, so it is quite unlikely to find one in a pawn shop around here at the states. unless you are really lucky.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: