electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Lemur - how is it for you?
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Lemur - how is it for you? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that Lemur has become available for iPad, I'm a little intrigued by Lemur (both the standalone as well as the iPad version) but can't see it being more than a one trick pony for creating glitchy poly-rhythms and non-melodies.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but what is it that makes Lemur especially great for you? And have you any examples of what it can do?

And is there anyone out there who has it controlling a Nord Modular or Max?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are completely wrong, download the manual and have a read.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You are completely wrong, download the manual and have a read.

Ah cool - I'll download it and sync it into iBooks so I can read it on the subway on my iPhone. I thought it was just a fancy TouchOSC or something, but apparently there's sequencing capability and other possiblities.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The best way to look at it is that touchosc is a sad shadow of the lemur, maybe offering 1% of the functionality.

The lemur is a scriptable control surface. The script language is a bit c like.

The main problem with doing something like a scheduler with it would be very tight timing, mix it with something like max though and you can do things like http://www.tonvibration.de/SequencomatV3.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You are completely wrong

Not the first time I've been called that....

....by you....!! Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoyed the Sequencomat demos by the man from Elektron (makers of Machinedrum, etc.).

Funny that V brought up polyrhythmic sequencing. Where did you find a polyrhythm demo using Lemur, V?

I know my Nord Modular G2 can sequence polyrhythmically, though patches/performances demonstrating this are surprisingly lacking in the user community.

Started reading up on the Lemur manual. The scripting feature is powerful stuff indeed. Multiple Pages, the number of which is restricted only by memory, is also great. I also understand now why the Physics feature is such a big deal.

It's clear to me now that an iPad running Lemur is 1000x more powerful as a controller than my Launchpad interacting with Ableton Live. It's probably 100x more powerful than a Monome. Lemur can act as a meta-sequencer on top of Live and its Max For Live devices.

Some old stuff on VIRB
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't (found a polyrhythm demo).

But I did just find this;

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

But I did just find this;

That is a great demo.

I've been thinking and looking at the scripting language. You can actually build very complex sequencers - even a Klee - with this software.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a pretty good video of Lemur's capabilities too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A thing that isn't shown much is the ability to actually change the interfaces on the lemur via XML. So you can create anything the editor does but on the fly from another app like MAX for instance, so the interfaces can be totally dynamic.

This makes it pretty powerfull.

There are some docs and example code I did somewhere on this forum I think!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

This makes it pretty powerfull.

There are some docs and example code I did somewhere on this forum I think!

Ahh, so you are a Lemur programmer; great to know.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy, is this the post you were referring too?

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23892.html#182174

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

Yep but I thought I had more stuff posted, maybe I posted it on another forum.

I will have a look, I have some Max and c++ code if anyone is interested?

Andy
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last night, I was assigning my Nord G2X's physical knobs to the virtual ones on the patches I decided to use for tomorrow night's jam session with my Thereminist friend. I generally went after drone/ambient type patches.

It occurred to me that it would be cool to have an XY controller or other alternative touch controller to tweak LFO, filter, etc. settings, via MIDI CC messages. I couldn't immediately discern in the G2 manual about whether I could assign both MSB and LSB values of a CC number to the same patch parameter, but that's another issue.

Anyway, Lemur is looking good as an alternative controller for my G2X.

Some old stuff on VIRB
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
I couldn't immediately discern in the G2 manual about whether I could assign both MSB and LSB values of a CC number to the same patch parameter, but that's another issue.

Cant be done Crying or Very sad

Unless you make some control patching yourself that is .. like two constants and a mixer set to not attenuate one and do 1/128 th of the other ... not sure if it would be glitch free then.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
I couldn't immediately discern in the G2 manual about whether I could assign both MSB and LSB values of a CC number to the same patch parameter, but that's another issue.

Cant be done Crying or Very sad

Unless you make some control patching yourself that is .. like two constants and a mixer set to not attenuate one and do 1/128 th of the other ... not sure if it would be glitch free then.

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't find any info in the manual on how to assign 2-byte MIDI Continuous Controllers to a parameter. For example, I assigned MIDI Continuous Controller 22 to the Frequency knob on the Filter Classic module. I then attempted to assign MIDI Continuous Controller 54 (which is the LSB, or "fine", portion of Continuous Controller 22) to the same knob and the Editor simply replaced 22 with 54.

Hmm... I guess it would be easiest to use Lemur for course control (using only MIDI CC of values 0-127) and an onboard knob for finer control.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: