electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
poly evolver or prophet 08 for electronic music??
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pia909

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: poly evolver or prophet 08 for electronic music?? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Could you advise me which synth to buy to make electronic music? I'm thinking between the poly evolver and the prophet 08. It is to make electro, detroit techno and IDM.
I have little experience in dealing with any so what is the most adsequible for a beginner? I have a microKORG and no more.
I think I prefer the poly evolver but I have not decided yet. Question
I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

thanks!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are very different beasts. Both are good. My bet is that the PEK is the most interesting and initially better suited for those styles, partly because the PEK really invites being used in a different way than the p08. However, IMO considering software synths would be the best way to start. This is cheaper and a huge lot of the music in the mentioned styles is made by use of software. Later, when you know more about what you need and why you need it.. then you can consider buying more hardware synths.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pia909

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks a lot for your answer!

Actually I´m using virtual synths like korg legacy, monopoly, polysix... love them and now I would like to buy a poly evolver and study it a lot. I prefer less synths and make the most with it.

thanks again
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have several PEK owners here.. so I guess they should chime in. I don´t won a PEK, but I´ve used one .. and I'm impressed.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PEK doesn't actually have an awful lot in common with, say, a Polysix, despite the initial impression I got from the PEK when I first tried it. After owning it for 5 or so years, it's far deeper than than a Polysix (I still own my original 1983 vintage one) could ever have been. But the PEK has a whole digital side to it too. It can be a fairly gnarly sounding instrument.

Can't discuss the prophet 08 although the differences between the two have been discussed in detail elsewhere in this subforum.

Home,My Studio,and another view
pia909

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for your fast answers!

I´ve checking the forum and found some interesting facts. For the type of music I´m going to to (electro, detroit techno, idm...) may be I could get more possibilities with PEK, right?
Which of them is easier to use it for the first time? I´m afraid of buying a synht like pek and be very difficult for me. May be I shoud buy one easier...

I´m very grateful of your points of view.

thanks!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say both of those are very easy to use.

You may want to check up on the endless encoders vs potentiometers thing, especially if you get a second hand unit. This applies to both the PEK and Prophet 08, but especially to PEK (I think), which sometimes suffers from some kind of production mistake that caused the encoders to skip in a most annoying way. I have one of those :/

It's difficult to say what machine is useful for what kind of music... the Evolver definitely has a distinctive sound. I'm not sure about the Prophet, but I've heard it has a gentler sound than the Evolver - others should confirm.

Since you're looking at these synths, I guess polyphony and keyboard is important to you? Note that the Prophet isn't multitimbral (I think).

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exclamation

Any special reason why something like the Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard isn´t on the list? It is pretty deep. It covers a lot of terrain. It is not analog, but I guess most of us here aren´t anal about analog synths anymore. The Blofeld certainly should be a contender for the styles of music you have listed.

Exclamation

The PEK and the p08 cannot really be compared. The p08 is a very nice polyphonic synth. It does not quite cover anything comparable to the feature set in the PEK, but the PEK is 4 note poly and can successfully be used as 4 monster monophonic synths.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weighs less as well!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Weighs less as well!

Good point!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pia909

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for your opinion!

Finally I bought a PEK so I´m ready to received it and try to see everything I can do (I think I´ll spend much time playing!)
I saw a second hand virus polar too in good conditions but bought the poly evolver...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure you can make sense of the PEK and find a use for it. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Smile

It's a great synth.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have a look at this as well

http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf

This is a nicely written guide to go with the manual, highly recomended for first steps.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Have a look at this as well

http://www.carbon111.com/evolverguide.pdf

This is a nicely written guide to go with the manual, highly recomended for first steps.

Nice! Wish I knew about that one when I first got my Evolver.

explorer33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Poly evolver
Subject description: Poly vs P8
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, I´ve a Poly Evolver Kb PE & Poly evolver rack. Off course I use it in poly chain mode.
I have a friend who have Prophet 8.
For me, it´s better Poly Evolver, because have a dedicated 16 knobs for sequencers parts, you can seq & edit envelopes, filter, velocity, kb ammount etc at same time, this, off course give you more easy to do great sounds and sequences. Have 4 modulations source with 4 destinations, Propet 8 not. About sound capacities, Poly have 2 analog oscilators and 2 wavetable oscilators ( Prophet VS ), this give a lot of sounding possibilities that Prophet not. Poly have combo part with 4 mono parts, P8 have 2 parts of 4 voices. Poly have 4 sequencers per voice, P8 only have 1. This sequencers on Poly, have more modulation destinations...delay ammount, feedback ammount...Poly have 3 delays, prophet not...
Off course, if you buy a Poly, only have 4 voices and this limited for pads sounds, but in general, for me it´s better Poly than P8.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome explorer33!

Wink

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
Jump to: