electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music
 
    Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

  host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
New gear!
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 63 of 72 [1788 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, ..., 70, 71, 72 Next
Author Message
Acoustic Interloper



Joined: Jul 07, 2007
Posts: 1608
Location: Berks County, PA
Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got one of these PCM-D50s in October on a grant, finally having a little time to play with it. I started wanting it in July when listening to the sounds of BART subways as we raced through tunnels. Note the stereo mics on swivels.


PCMD50.jpg
 Description:
PCM-D50
 Filesize:  755.71 KB
 Viewed:  77 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PCMD50.jpg



_________________
one finds oneself counting,
one knows not what,
notes in a stream, steps in a forest,
years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Got one of these PCM-D50s in October on a grant, finally having a little time to play with it. I started wanting it in July when listening to the sounds of BART subways as we raced through tunnels. Note the stereo mics on swivels.


What are the advantages of swiveling the mics in various configurations?

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Acoustic Interloper



Joined: Jul 07, 2007
Posts: 1608
Location: Berks County, PA
Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:
Got one of these PCM-D50s in October on a grant, finally having a little time to play with it. I started wanting it in July when listening to the sounds of BART subways as we raced through tunnels. Note the stereo mics on swivels.


What are the advantages of swiveling the mics in various configurations?

Close-up versus long range stereo separation, apparently. Haven't actually tested that yet.

_________________
one finds oneself counting,
one knows not what,
notes in a stream, steps in a forest,
years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:

Close-up versus long range stereo separation, apparently. Haven't actually tested that yet.


This was one of the things I thought about getting (got new reference monitors instead), so I was curious about how having swivel mics help. I'd be interested in hearing back from you what you learn when you get a chance to mess around with it.

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
onewayness



Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Posts: 112
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new Christmas pressies:

Korg Monotribe

Electro Lobotomy 'Sonic Forest'

Early-70s vintage Magnus Chord Organ

Good times. Smile

adam / onewayness

_________________
handmade music for machines | onewayness.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pyrosonic



Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 377
Location: Kent,Oh. USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sonic Forest is wicked cool!
How does one procure it and what does it cost?I didn't see any info on the site.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/pyrosonic-1
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pyrosonic/106761076017889
http://www.youtube.com/user/pyrosonic
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onewayness



Joined: Jun 16, 2011
Posts: 112
Location: Erie, PA, USA
Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
Sonic Forest is wicked cool!
How does one procure it and what does it cost?I didn't see any info on the site.


They're about $100 [US] I think. He sells them on Etsy, along with several other varieties of DIY & circuit-bent synths & noise boxes, as well as oddball vintage vinyl.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WaxxMuseum?ref=seller_info

Cheers,
adam / onewayness

_________________
handmade music for machines | onewayness.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you guys know this thread has 143 thousand views?

I noticed the what my digicam thread having over 100 thousand and was curious if that was the highest number. Nope. This one seems to be.

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pyrosonic



Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 377
Location: Kent,Oh. USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
$237 on Ebay not a bad deal.A few scratches and dents,but it works just fine.
It'll replace my original 14 year old 1604 in my pop up rack for live use.The 4 busses will come in handy.
The old one will get relegated to mixing some rarely used stuff that's now only accessed via a patchbay.Both of them and a SR 24-4 are integrated via a Mackie Mixer Mixer so all of the sends function (more or less) as if it were one big mixer. Cool

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Now I gotta buy more cables AGAIN! Crying or Very sad

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/pyrosonic-1
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pyrosonic/106761076017889
http://www.youtube.com/user/pyrosonic
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
$237 on Ebay not a bad deal.A few scratches and dents,but it works just fine.
It'll replace my original 14 year old 1604 in my pop up rack for live use.The 4 busses will come in handy.
The old one will get relegated to mixing some rarely used stuff that's now only accessed via a patchbay.Both of them and a SR 24-4 are integrated via a Mackie Mixer Mixer so all of the sends function (more or less) as if it were one big mixer. Cool


I wonder if the 1640 is based on this. It looks similar and differs in name by a re-arranging of a couple of numbers.

pyrosonic wrote:

Now I gotta buy more cables AGAIN! Crying or Very sad


It never ends!

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pyrosonic



Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 377
Location: Kent,Oh. USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I wonder if the 1640 is based on this. It looks similar and differs in name by a re-arranging of a couple of numbers.


The 1640i is actually in the Onyx line,if you mean the 1642 there are some notable differences:

1)The 1642 only has 10 mic preamps vs 16 on the 1604 vlz3

2)The 1642 doesn't have the switch that sends FX send 3/4 to the 5/6 outs
(that's a biggie for me being an FX junkie,I wish there were even more than that)

3)The 1642 only has a sweepable mid eq on the first 8 channels and a 4 band on the rest vs. sweepable on all 16

4)The 1642 has 8 mono and 4 stereo channels vs. 16 mono.

That's all I can see in a quick perusal of their website.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/pyrosonic-1
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pyrosonic/106761076017889
http://www.youtube.com/user/pyrosonic
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant the 1640. Wink
_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Acoustic Interloper



Joined: Jul 07, 2007
Posts: 1608
Location: Berks County, PA
Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: 0-input mixer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of Joo Won Park's students was playing the zero-input mixer as an instrument in an ensemble performance last month, all done with cabled feedback loops, adjusting filters, etc. I have an old Yamaha second mixer with a nice fx unit that I am planning to try along those lines soon.

That would be a cool electro-music festival ensemble: nothing but 0-input mixers Smile

_________________
one finds oneself counting,
one knows not what,
notes in a stream, steps in a forest,
years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pyrosonic



Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Posts: 377
Location: Kent,Oh. USA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 1640 looks to be the same as the 1640i without firewire. There's a few more features and the quality is higher,I think.(for a price)
It also has:
Talkback section
DI on 2 channels
pre/post switches on all 6 sends
different eq with hardware bypass.
better preamps

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/pyrosonic-1
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pyrosonic/106761076017889
http://www.youtube.com/user/pyrosonic
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
The 1640 looks to be the same as the 1640i without firewire. There's a few more features and the quality is higher,I think.(for a price)
It also has:
Talkback section
DI on 2 channels
pre/post switches on all 6 sends
different eq with hardware bypass.
better preamps


My beef with the i series is the whole ProTools hack thing. I was really disappointed that Mackie decided to do this rather than show some professional integrity and try to compete by making their own system. If they believe so much in making things open, they could have designed their own answer to ProTools and made it open source. They could still profit from the software. They can still sell binary installers, and if the software was well-designed and caught on, they'd see an increase in profit from hardware sales.

I hate how so many businesses these days have lost their brain pools.

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21969
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By proTools hack you suggest the integration with a DAW like ProTools? Or?

Question

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mosc
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 31, 2003
Posts: 17539
Location: Allentown, PA
Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject:
Subject description: 0-input mixer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:
One of Joo Won Park's students was playing the zero-input mixer as an instrument in an ensemble performance last month, all done with cabled feedback loops, adjusting filters, etc. I have an old Yamaha second mixer with a nice fx unit that I am planning to try along those lines soon.

That would be a cool electro-music festival ensemble: nothing but 0-input mixers Smile


Maybe a good new topic, Dale. I myself haven't heard of this before. It sounds interesting.

_________________
--Howard
my music and other stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog



Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Posts: 3830
Location: England
Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got two excellent plugins over christmas.

Geist : http://www.fxpansion.com/forums.html?page=120

Diva : http://www.u-he.com/cms/113-diva

Both are very highly recommended indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acoustic Interloper



Joined: Jul 07, 2007
Posts: 1608
Location: Berks County, PA
Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: 0-input mixer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:
One of Joo Won Park's students was playing the zero-input mixer as an instrument in an ensemble performance last month, all done with cabled feedback loops, adjusting filters, etc. I have an old Yamaha second mixer with a nice fx unit that I am planning to try along those lines soon.

That would be a cool electro-music festival ensemble: nothing but 0-input mixers Smile


Maybe a good new topic, Dale. I myself haven't heard of this before. It sounds interesting.

Started a thread in Circuit Bending, thanks for the suggestion, Howard!

_________________
one finds oneself counting,
one knows not what,
notes in a stream, steps in a forest,
years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GovernorSilver



Joined: Apr 26, 2004
Posts: 1284
Location: Washington DC Metro
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This reminds me, I have a Mackie Onyx in need of repair - does not work as a regular mixer, and as a Firewire interface the audio is wacked up.

I've heard horror stories about the official Mackie repair shop in the DC area (Pro Tech). Is the one in Baltimore more trustworthy?

_________________
Current and recent work on Soundcloud

Some old stuff on VIRB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
By proTools hack you suggest the integration with a DAW like ProTools? Or?

Question


Well, there's this: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/09/11/new-mackie-onyx-i-series-promise-protools/

And you can search for "mackie onyx i series" + "protools" and variants.

Avid has (had? Mackie broke it) a proprietary system. I'm totally down with open systems so that users can pick and choose, BUT it is their right to create and sell the product of their labor and be protected from infringement. Now, obviouly, Mackie didn't (that anyone knows of) do anything illegal, but it kind of turned me off to their products. Sonar and other software DAW's don't require specific hardware; this is by design. Protools does, and this is by design. I don't like that one company decided to bust their way into another company's proprietary systems without permission. I'm sure there are lots of customers who like using Mackie hardware with Protools, but it feels like an underhanded move to me, which is not cool.

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mosc
Site Admin


Joined: Jan 31, 2003
Posts: 17539
Location: Allentown, PA
Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Olimex USB ISO isolation adapter.

See review here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51572.html

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

_________________
--Howard
my music and other stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper



Joined: Jul 07, 2007
Posts: 1608
Location: Berks County, PA
Audio files: 34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Acoustic Interloper wrote:

Close-up versus long range stereo separation, apparently. Haven't actually tested that yet.


This was one of the things I thought about getting (got new reference monitors instead), so I was curious about how having swivel mics help. I'd be interested in hearing back from you what you learn when you get a chance to mess around with it.

I was out doing some field recording today, and I found it useful for unidirectional versus omnidirectional, in the sense that when swiveled out, the mics picked up extraneous sounds that I didn't want to record, various noises in the distance.

_________________
one finds oneself counting,
one knows not what,
notes in a stream, steps in a forest,
years in a life, items in a list of todo's;
counting,
planning,
always getting ready to come down on the one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
audiodef



Joined: Sep 05, 2011
Posts: 608
Location: Behind you
Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: PCM-D50
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acoustic Interloper wrote:

I was out doing some field recording today, and I found it useful for unidirectional versus omnidirectional, in the sense that when swiveled out, the mics picked up extraneous sounds that I didn't want to record, various noises in the distance.


That makes sense.

_________________
Audiodef
Synthetronica
Gentoo Studio
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
modulator_esp
Stream Operator


Joined: Feb 04, 2005
Posts: 2261
Location: Nottingham, UK
Audio files: 177
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BoardWeevil 2012

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Jez
music | adventures in sound
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 63 of 72 [1788 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, ..., 70, 71, 72 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
mps board

Please support our site. If you click through and buy from
our affiliate partners, we earn a small commission.


Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright © 2003 through 2009 by electro-music.com - Conditions Of Use