electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Elektro 80: Guernica
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Elektro 80: Guernica Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This piece is actually not a part of my "utmost savagery" series. The subject matter is of course related, but in this piece I mainly explore the statements and content of the painting and not the incident itself.

An interesting link: http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/a_nav/guernica_nav/gnav_level_1/2process_guerfrm.html

The music is pure electronic sounds with very few effects. This is pretty much the kind of music I started out with on synthesizers.. using a reel to reel tape decks and assembling the compositions on tape. I still like this style of working and I have had the Guernica piece on the drawing board for some time now.

The painting by Picasso does have some hidden codes and symbolic messages.

Elektro 80: Guernica - link removed

This little lyrical piece does contain some very harsh synthetic sounds which just might fry your loudspeakers. Do not play this loud unless you know your gear can take it. Hmm.. forget it.. just play the damned thing REALLY loud.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I like this a lot. Different from anything else I've heard of yours. I hear in this a definite relationship to the painting, after you mention it. There is a definite emotional impact to the piece, helped by the knowledge of it's imspiration.

I'm surprised how good the mp3 sounds. Very clean and very little distortion.

Bravo...

salut cheers sunny thumb up too much coffee well done well-done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
astroid power-up!

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro, this idea of yours to do pieces on the atrocities of war is just amazing. I am envious, i am inspired, i am thrilled i get to hear them. i have sketches for a Hiroshima piece, but have not tried to think about it since i took the switch from paper to computer in 2002. your production is truly astounding. i guess the minimal nature of the music allows for this kind of beautiful playing out of elements.

this isn't as brutal to me as the bombing piece i responded to a few days ago, it seems less literal. nice sounds. i like the bit reduced stuff in addition to the super clean, i like the reverb. -learning lots of stuff!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THX a lot Mr. Power-Up! Very Happy
This "Utmost Savagery" series is really an old idea I have kept alive for more than 20 years. The idea as such is far from unique. There is alot of music out there dealing with the same ideas.

The way I see this is as an art project. My goal is to create a series of works which can discuss the human and moral issues of warfare. The reason I have chosen WW1 and WW2 is simply because we are still living in the aftershock after these wars and we are actually forgetting the suffering and the dead. These wars were already shrouded by myth and heroic dreams at the time they happened. -And now they are fading away and the survivors are all soon dead too. The scale of events like the landing on Tarawa, the allied bombing of german civilian targets, the destruction of the jewish ghetto in Warzaw, the german artillery attack on Sevastopol and the burning of Tokyo is simply mindblowing. If all this fades away we will have lost a whole lot of extremely valuable lessons.

One might argue that some of these lessons haven´t´really been clearly defined yet.. probably due to those myths and a combination of unease and guilt.

One might of course argue that some wars are just causes. Ending the senseless killing of the jews would of course be a good reason for a war against Nazi Germany. But World War 2 was not about saving the jews of Europe. It did of course end up becoming a war where the savage beasts were taken out by the allied forces and the jews were "saved". In retrospect all our knowledge about the german atrocities have changed WW2 into a humanitarian project.

I have noticed that several websites are proclaiming that russian submarine attack on the Wilhelm Gustloff was a criminal act. This is of course not quite the case because there was a war on and the the captain of the russian sub had no way to find out that the ship was primarily transporting civilians and wounded. If he knew for sure, then I guess we could call him a criminal. Events like this is however what war really is about. In a war you shoot to kill first, then ignore the consequences. No questions asked.

Hey, get your Hiroshima act together! I would love to hear that one. I was just starting to feel like a freak here.. All the other artists are posting nice and uplifting music, and I have only just started to record these damned pieces.

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I'm surprised how good the mp3 sounds. Very clean and very little distortion.

I took some extra care when I mixed and mastered the file.

I have borrowed a pair of the Yamaha MSP 5. These are unbelievably good.

( Check out this forum thread.. these guys are raving about this little studio monitor: http://www.recording.org/postt18211.html )

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whew... I've listened to all 4 of these pieces now and these really are some of the most incredible political musics/soundscapes I've ever heard. Really chilling and tremendously emotional. Almost a kind of Requiem in toto. Being on the front lines of this new mess... I have to admit that I'm not going to be a frequent listener to them (and avoided listening to them for weeks). But these are truly chilling and disturbing pieces.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jeff harrington wrote:
Really chilling and tremendously emotional. Almost a kind of Requiem in toto.

THX. This brings this thread http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-606.html&highlight=unemotional to mind. As far as I remember I think I said in some post in that thread that emotions have nothing to do with the instrument. The music itself is what communicates emotion. I have tried to put emotion into this music, and it actually seems that I have managed to do so. That said, I get some sort of emotion out of most "electronic" music I listen to. Pop music, on the other hand, can often bring empty gestures but the emotion is simply not there.

Yes.. well.. this is in fact a kind of requiem indeed, but I chose to build this up using a long series of singular pieces. The thing that binds them, together is the theme and the focus on the victims and death. I am still not perfectly sure what to do about this series, but at least I have managed to get started on recording the lot.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

I have borrowed a pair of the Yamaha MSP 5. These are unbelievably good.

I own a pair of MSP5. I am very happy. I compared them with more expensive monitors like Genelec 1030 etc and found out that the Yamaha ones have a very good quality/price ratio
(btw I am not sponsored by Yamaha Very Happy unfortunately Cool )

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Elektro 80: Guernica Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro 80: Guernica
I downloaded your piece. I like it but I do not see any relation to Picasso or Guernica no no . To me it sounds more like the soundtrack of a science fiction movie (The Forbidden Planet or something like that) transformer
Excellent anyway

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The link to the file has been removed.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Stein Grebstad
Jump to: