electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
quick and dirty kick, snare, hat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
egasimus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: quick and dirty kick, snare, hat? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm looking for any basic drum circuits which are to be very simple, but have a lot of character, something with gritty and distorted sounds. Maybe I should ask this in the Lunetta forum instead?
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can't beat the monotribe drum section:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/09/korg-releases-monotribe-drum-schematics-mod-and-breadboard-away/

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to have a look at this thread:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49054.html

Scroll down to the last posted schematic for the updated filters. I am triggering them with a steady clock pulse divided with a 4040, but you could trigger the filters with any gate/clock pulse - although you would need to adjust some of the cap values if the pulses aren't +5V.

egasimus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yup, Cynosure, your thread's what inspired me to do it, and I'm gonna use the 4040 beat generator in my design; I decided to try the 606 kick schematic that has been floating around for a while, and will check the monotribe, too. Thanks Smile
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad to hear that people are putting my designs to use Very Happy

I have most of my drum circuit soldered up - just working on the case now. I should have a video in a couple of weeks.

efabric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: another design Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there's also the discrete mini space rockers for a good noises base :
http://ericarcher.net/devices/mini-space-rockers/
egasimus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ hey, those look nice Smile Gonna build myself one of those, too Smile
frequencycentral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
you can't beat the monotribe drum section:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/09/korg-releases-monotribe-drum-schematics-mod-and-breadboard-away/

Very interesting. anyone built this as a standalone? I'm considering doing some PCB layouts.....

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Korg prob won't be too happy as currently in production. However richard c64 posted a load of mods at the deathlehem forum check it out. If its sufficiently different ... Wink
egasimus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I perfboarded the 606 kick with a TL072 (didn't have a 358), and it didn't work. I ran it from a 9V battery (a pretty stale one, though) and tried triggered it from V+ through a 47k resistor; output plugged direct to headphones. I know that just about everything's wrong about my setup, but I didn't have the time for anything better Smile

So, can this circuit run off 9V? And how do I trigger it?
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TL072 doesn't swing rail to rail, seems that the bare minimum it will run on is +/-6v (12v). The LM358 is designed to run on a single supply, so should work on 9v.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
TL072 doesn't swing rail to rail, seems that the bare minimum it will run on is +/-6v (12v). The LM358 is designed to run on a single supply, so should work on 9v.

The TL072, or most any other op amp can be made to function single-supply by biasing the + input to around half the supply voltage -- which is what the 606 circuit does.

egasimus wrote:
I perfboarded the 606 kick with a TL072 (didn't have a 358), and it didn't work. I ran it from a 9V battery (a pretty stale one, though) and tried triggered it from V+ through a 47k resistor; output plugged direct to headphones. I know that just about everything's wrong about my setup...

masterful understatement

egasimus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
masterful understatement

Yup.

I'm using this circuit. Looking at the original 606 schematic, the supply voltages involved are 5V, 6V, and 15V. Nothing bipolar needed, it seems. What does the trigger pulse look like, though
richardc64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That schematic is incomplete. Here's one that shows the biasing network. Unfortunately, the schematic I have is also incomplete, in that it doesn't show the voltage that powers the transistors that provide the trigger. Considering the ratio of R63 & R64, if the voltage is 15V, it's about 1.5V when it reaches that 0.47uF cap, but if it's 5V then it's only 0.5V at the cap. Try leaving out R63 and put a 5V pulse on R64. Should be a couple of milliseconds duration -- not more than 10.

It looks like the voltage divider on the op amp (+) input gives closer to 2/3 V+ than 1/2.

"Quick and Dirty" is often not as quick as one would like. And while not exactly "dirty", ringing oscillators like these and those of the DR-110 and Monotripe need a lot of tinkering to modify for effects, or to adapt to different supply voltages. Just sayin'...

bass_606.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.18 KB
 Viewed:  727 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

bass_606.gif

Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
Monotripe

I want one of those...

Regards,
Doug (Music with Menudo anyone?)

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
defog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I programmed an arduino to send midi triggers to all of the sounds on a TR-606, and it was a pain in the ass because the timings are all different. Check out Eric Archers info on triggering: http://ericarcher.net/devices/tr808-clone/
MickeyDelp

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Egasimus, it seems like Cynosure's super-cool UM-TSS is exactly what you need given that you were looking for "something with gritty and distorted sounds."

For a less gritty sound, I love the damped sine waves that you get from the bridged-T circuit shown above in the 606 (and used in the 808 and many other drum machines). I use +/- 4.5 volts from a 9V supply. I like the TLE2426 rail splitter, but a simple resistor divider will give you a useable virtual ground. The TL072 works fine at this voltage and sounds cleaner to me than the LM358. I trigger my drums with a microcontroller, but have also generated the pulses using a CD40106 powered by +4.5V and vGnd.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a complete schematic.

richardc64

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MickeyDelp wrote:
If anyone is interested, I'll post a complete schematic.

Always happy to see schematics. They're like pr0n to me.

What--?

MickeyDelp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy to oblige! The bridged-t circuit needs a short (5-10 ms) pulse. This Schmitt trigger relaxation oscillator is just one of a thousand ways of producing a pulse. The output is a pulse because the diode shorts out the resistor on the discharge cycle of the oscillator.

So, as you can see and hear, it works fine on +/- 4.5 volts and a simple resistor divider provides a good enough virtual ground. If you are going to be powering more chips, then you might need a more stable vground. This is one of the best writeups I have read on virtual grounds.

Usual caveats: Uncommitted CMOS inputs should be tied to ground or V+ and uncommitted op amps should have positive input connected to ground and negative input connected to output.

SimpleDrum.png
 Description:
Simple Drum Schematic
 Filesize:  101.14 KB
 Viewed:  617 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SimpleDrum.png

SimpleDrum.MOV
 Description:
On the breadboard and through the amp!

Download
 Filename:  SimpleDrum.MOV
 Filesize:  54.13 MB
 Downloaded:  845 Time(s)

Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You got a youtube channel to post the vid? Full res hd doesn't run too well (especially when I have ableton, winamp and oscilloscope running the the background).
MickeyDelp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure. Here it is.

Also, forgot to show the output on the schematic. Probably obvious, but it is at the output of the op amp, through a 1uF cap.

beep

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

40106 does not work when I connect it'S ground to the virtual ground.
please help Sad
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have more than one chip so you can test another and be sure it's not a bad chip?

Other than that I think you need to explain what you've done and tested so far to get a better idea how to help.
beep

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all Thank you for sharing this schematic!
People like you are giving a big gift to people like me.
True analog drums... *__* <3 :DDD

back to troubleshooting...

It's weird. The chip was okay. It's a HEF40106, not a cc40106.

Got it working after some changes.

The ground of the audio output jack or plug has to be the virtual ground, not the ground of the power supply, which is -4,5v in this case.

Then the trigger oscillator cap on the 40106 input had to be connected to the
real ground (-4,5v) to make the circuit work correctly. I also had to remove the two 1k-resistors at the connection between the trigger pulse output and
the resonance filter input.

is the cc40106 different from the HEF40206?

On breadboard, the 40106 always causes lots of humming noise.
soldered it on stripboard, no noise. Weird. Is a breadboard generally
known for catching more electric noise??
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Breadboards have lots of stray capacitance.

The output ground thing makes sense to me.

Would the 1K's work if the second one connected to the 'real ground' like the cap? I would think that might be an important factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: