electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Harmonia beats drumbox
Page 1 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
gustavojobim

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Harmonia beats drumbox Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi

I'm looking for a drumbox, hardware of software, to imitate those beats from Harmonia and Roedelius...

any tips?

thanks
abstraktor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Rhythmus drum machine plug-in is a good emulation of that type of preset box. It came in the Elektrostudio suite of free VST instruments.
Instant Kosmische!
If you're after real instruments then something like the Rhythm King, Bentley Rhythm Ace, Korg Doncamatic would do it.
I have a feeling it was a Farfisa drum machine that Cluster/Harmonia used.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They used extensively the pretty cute Elka Drummer One. It's a rather huge unit.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks for the good research material!
I know one thing they used was the Echolette (Elka) Drummer One. it's credited in at least one of Roedelius's reissues on Bureau B (Selbstportrait or Wasser im Wind):

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, you found it on your own. Very Happy

Too bad most of those are in garbage dumps by now. I like the Elka Drummer One a lot. It has personality.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the rhythmus in that analog pack is pretty nice indeed
in 5 seconds I found Jarre's Oxygene beats...
so he used presets apparently. ha!
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey it looks like the korg monotribe would be a very good addition to my setup... I don't have any rhythm instrument, most of my music so far has been based on arpeggiator sequencers and/or drones.

watch:

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As lovely as this old Elka is, you don't have to have one of these just to make beats similar to those used on old Cluster and harmonia records. I've made similar beats using my Korg EM-1.

Have you also looked at the iPod Touch/iPhone? There's a lovely little retro drum machine for that called "Funkbox", which will also do the job nicely.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/funkbox-drum-machine/id350437349?mt=8

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there's an electribe around here but it's the ER-1 model, used, and I'm not too happy about the price.

the ipod touch looks like an interesting alternative, it's portable... a new one here is cheaper than the electribe ER-1. I wonder if I can indeed make it a "real instrument" for my purposes (old-school gritty hand-played experimental electronic music). I don't know; I prefer playing keys and turning knobs than mouseclicking, i'm not sure using an ipod and pointing tiny pictures knobs and keys with a stylus would be so different than building things on the computer with mouse and keyboard. what about audio output? on the other side, it would be nice to be able to do something musical on the bus/subway job commute, even if it's just basic tracks for further studio work.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stylus? Who said anything about a stylus?

You use your fingers. All 10 (and more) of them!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
As lovely as this old Elka is, you don't have to have one of these just to make beats similar to those used on old Cluster and harmonia records. I've made similar beats using my Korg EM-1.

As for the actual patterns, simply listening to what you want to copy and program it is just a few minutes work.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so I went downtown during lunch time (spent 3 hours actually), and tried to find a solution. I met a musician and used gear dealer who has been for many years using Reaktor - and of course, recommended it. it's a free download, so what the heck, gonna try it.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have fun with Reactor! Laughing

(You'll HATE all computers by the end of the week!!! Laughing )

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, you know about all this modern stuff. There are.. or were.. desktop samplers that pretty much could be used as an old rhythm box thingie.. right..? In cute colours and shit? Just a matter of having some suitable samples and program the right retro patterns and then all is well?? Any of the more decent ones should be a much less messy than keeping Reaktor running just for something simple like this? ..Unless there are some Reaktor instruments that are better. On the other hand, what happened to old NI Battery?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have fun with Reactor! Laughing

(You'll HATE all computers by the end of the week!!! Laughing )

What he said..

I dunno.. you want an Elka Drummer One.. and then end up with NI Reaktor..
scratch

It's kinda like going out to fetch a bottle of wine and then instead you return home hours later with 4 elephants, 3 nuns and a crack lab. Like.. kinda excessive of sorts.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
abstraktor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

poor guy -all he wanted was a simple preset drum machine to get a retro sound and he gets offered Apple gadgets and Reaktor as a solution? Crying or Very sad
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Yup... 8 elephants, 6 nuns and 2 crack labs..

Honestly, I'm not too pleased with virtual knobs on the iPad. This simply does not work as well as physical knobs. I prefer apps like TC11.. with an interface that makes sense on the glass surface.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
gustavojobim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i've never been big on software for music creation; just editing and mixing. my only experience with software was fast tracker II in the beginning and, years later, I made an album using only the original beta version of TS-404.

it's looking like the best choice for me is going to be the korg EMX-1. monotribe is cool but it you can't save stuff, not so nice. let's hope I can find a good used EMX-1...

further ideas will still be much appreciated!!

many thanks
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon you'd love the EMX-1.

It's not as gritty as the EM-1, but it is much more powerful.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it have a bossa nova button??

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
drumcodeuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You pop out for a nice bottle of wine and end up coming home with a big plot of land and a poorly written book on how to start your own vineyard.. I've been there - easily done. My copy of Reaktor 5 is for sale right now on Ebay! Only joking I'm in the UK. I do like Neu! and Harmonia and all that though - I should listen to them again. That Elka Drummer One look's nice.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abstraktor wrote:
poor guy -all he wanted was a simple preset drum machine to get a retro sound and he gets offered Apple gadgets and Reaktor as a solution? Crying or Very sad

There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between Reaktor and and 'Apple gadget'!

It's time to get over this myth that retro is better. It's not. I take it you don't own an Apple gadget?

drumcodeuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got an old 1980s Russian drum synth for £65 that I have cleaned up and is working well. I know that doesn't sound like an 'Apple Gadget'.. more like Throbbing Gristle or Cabaret Voltaire.. there probably is a VirtualIndustrialDrummer app now though I suppose.

StreetFighter 2 is rubbish on the Iphone - I played that. I don't think any more need's mentioning if you can't get the basic's right.
drumcodeuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would go with a second hand Boss SP-303 or something like that.. easy to use, fun, and you won't get it exactly right sound wise but not too far off.. I saw Hype Williams using one live a while ago to great effect..
Reaktor is total overkill and would be more hassle than its worth (for sale on Ebay UK right now.. don't all rush at once!).
I always liked that Suicide drum machine sound.. I researched what they used but I can't think of it off the top of my head. What I got recently is an analog March UDS drum synth - buy it on sight if you see one - amazing noisy old thing.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumcodeuk wrote:

StreetFighter 2 is rubbish on the Iphone - I played that. I don't think any more need's mentioning if you can't get the basic's right.

What the hell has Streetfighter 2 got to do with drum machine apps? Confused

Page 1 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: