electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
SUPER SIMPLE 12db RESONANT LOWPASS FILTER-with AUDIOSAMPLES!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: SUPER SIMPLE 12db RESONANT LOWPASS FILTER-with AUDIOSAMPLES! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

recently im abusing of this incredible filter designed by a friend of mine
is really interesting for his interaction between resonance and frequency
and the sound has his own character
can run on different voltages from 9v to 12v,
at 12v can really scream!!!
no cv controll but in combination with the sn voice module could fit without problems behind the same panel for example

12db_l.e.p_filter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.09 KB
 Viewed:  2298 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

12db_l.e.p_filter.jpg

Last edited by tokyomatik on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here also the pcb layout
ready for press n peel

rfTL.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  rfTL.pdf
 Filesize:  227.87 KB
 Downloaded:  1442 Time(s)

Last edited by tokyomatik on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

parts placement

rfTL-comp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.98 KB
 Viewed:  1145 Time(s)

rfTL-comp.jpg

kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh yes, I saw this thing a few times here. Looks very simple and interesting. I am curious how it sounds. Can someone please post an audio sample? Thanx
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As this is so small parts count it'd be great to make 3 or 4 and wire them in parallel .. if i only knew how to change the range ,so one can act like bpf .. it's great for that purpose i think ,some samples would be great Smile
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i also was thinking about some possible mods
but im a complete beginner, so i dont know if what im thinking could really work or not
for exmple trying to split the 100k stereo log pot of the frequency with 2 mono
maybe also different values..... Embarassed ???
and another idea was to add some kind of slew with a vactrol somewhere in the path, like scott stites did with Ray Wilson's filter.....

somebody waana try??
in the while i'll make some samples
to give an idea of the character of this filter
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here some samples of a squarewave(sn voice) with different settings of resonance

squarewave-filter seep-no r.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  squarewave-filter seep-no r.mp3
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Downloaded:  2439 Time(s)

squarewave-filter seep-25% .mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  squarewave-filter seep-25% .mp3
 Downloaded:  2036 Time(s)

squarewave-filter seep-50% .mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  squarewave-filter seep-50% .mp3
 Downloaded:  2203 Time(s)

squarewave-filter seep-100%.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  squarewave-filter seep-100%.mp3
 Downloaded:  2398 Time(s)

Dego

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Easy to build. Might try it on veroboard. I have built my sn voice but never panelled it. Might be an easy addition to it.
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the audiosamples! Sounds very interesting, I will breadboard it later.
BloodMaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds really good. Would be interested how it sounds with a more "musical phrase" and some cutoff and reso screwing.
predok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dual 100K pot - is it a stereo pot? I've assembled this scheme, but it works a bit strange...

Thank you for the scheme, tokyomatik!
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep 100k stereo logar. the resonance interacts a lot with frequency pot,if u like it dirty & screachy i hope u will enjoy this filter. peace
predok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it sounds very warm and good for a low bass sound. Filter cuts high frequencies too much but anyway I like it.
gasboss775

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Super simple LPF Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first time I tried this circuit I tried to adapt it to work of +15 V supply, but it was very unstable. Today I built it as is and powered it from +9V and it worked well. There is a lot of variability in the output amplitude, particularly with high resonance, perhaps some sort of post filter soft clipping would be good.

I want to try making a VCF out of this by substituting the dual pot with a dual vactrol.
gasboss775

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Provisionally I can say it works well with a dual vactrol ( VTL5C3/2) just using a 10K pot and a resistor in series with the vactrol led.

Also the filter definitely sounds better with a lower frequency signal, I was using a 98Hz squarewave.

It is a bit of a screecher particularly at high cut off and high resonance control settings. At lower cut off frequencies is quite fat and warm if the resonance control is kept down.
gasboss775

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done a fresh schematic showing the vactrol and a simple driver for the vactrol LED. I also included a simple voltage regulator to keep the supply around 9 volts ( assuming a +15 volt input. If using a +12 V supply change the 3K6 resistor to 3K0.

discrete vactrol VCF.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.74 KB
 Viewed:  793 Time(s)

discrete vactrol VCF.jpg

gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This makes a great little VCF when adapted with vactrols! Have made a few wee refinements to the schematic. Perhaps someone could design a PCB for the vactrol version as I'm not great at that type of thing, though might build it on stripboard, ATM it is on a breadboard.

share(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373 KB
 Viewed:  649 Time(s)

share(1).jpg

L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi gasboss!
I don´t know if you´re interested in the sound of the whacky transistor configuration *which probably guarantees strange behaviour* or in the simplicity of it...? Because it would be easier with opamps, which I have built several times.

On both outer legs of your double ldr you could put a little series resistance like 2k or 3k3, because the resistance of a vtl5c3 can become very small and the transistor (or opamp) won´t be happy driving a capacitive load to ground (aka instability/squeeling). That´s for the first resistor and the second to keep the resistances of the RCsections equal in value.
With one or two transistors you can build excellent lin or log led drivers: look at Scott Stites Multiphase project! (or René Schmitz´ cmos vco) thumb up
gasboss775

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L´Andratté wrote:
Hi gasboss!
I don´t know if you´re interested in the sound of the whacky transistor configuration *which probably guarantees strange behaviour* or in the simplicity of it...? Because it would be easier with opamps, which I have built several times.

On both outer legs of your double ldr you could put a little series resistance like 2k or 3k3, because the resistance of a vtl5c3 can become very small and the transistor (or opamp) won´t be happy driving a capacitive load to ground (aka instability/squeeling). That´s for the first resistor and the second to keep the resistances of the RCsections equal in value.
With one or two transistors you can build excellent lin or log led drivers: look at Scott Stites Multiphase project! (or René Schmitz´ cmos vco) thumb up

Simplicity is always very seductive, but on closer inspection there are often limitations that are unavoidable without the addition of more complexity.

I had thought about adding series resistors as personally I don't like the misbehaviour of this circuit that occurs with high cut off and high resonance settings.

Do you think there is merit in using an expo converter to drive vactrols, as they are inherently non linear in nature?

Last edited by gasboss775 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Yangushii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:
yep 100k stereo logar. the resonance interacts a lot with frequency pot,if u like it dirty & screachy i hope u will enjoy this filter. peace

Cutoff doesn’t seem to do anything for me. I suspect I got the dual pot wiring wrong Smile

I connected like this:
Bottom lug 1 to 1k res/bc547 emitter
Top lug 1 to bottom lug 2 to 100nf cap
Top lug 2 to 10k res /100nf cap
Both lug 3 disconnected.

Pretty much like here:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-223y4GiQ2-I/WFF8cslxvHI/AAAAAAAALk4/PosVsJ7NhAcI1QWELd8cd1uk8Ud8_6pkgCKgB/s1600/IMG_20161214_164054.jpg

It does seem different on the pcb picture...

Anyone could tell me if I got it correct?

Thanks !
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yangushii wrote:
tokyomatik wrote:

Cutoff doesn’t seem to do anything for me. I suspect I got the dual pot wiring wrong Smile

I connected like this:
Bottom lug 1 to 1k res/bc547 emitter
Top lug 1 to bottom lug 2 to 100nf cap
Top lug 2 to 10k res /100nf cap
Both lug 3 disconnected.

Pretty much like here:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-223y4GiQ2-I/WFF8cslxvHI/AAAAAAAALk4/PosVsJ7NhAcI1QWELd8cd1uk8Ud8_6pkgCKgB/s1600/IMG_20161214_164054.jpg

It does seem different on the pcb picture...

Anyone could tell me if I got it correct?

Thanks !

It should have worked, although the cut off would get lower as the pot is turned clockwise rather than increasing with clockwise rotation which is the usual convention. What value of pot did you use?
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yangushii This is quite a quirky circuit and there could be other reasons that it won't work. At first I used bc549C transistors and it didn't work at they had too much current gain and the transistors were biased close to ground. In general biasing a transistor with one resistor as is the case with Q1 isn't a very reliable method of biasing as the operating point is very dependent on the gain ( hFE / Beta ) of the transistor which varies from device to device and with temperature.

I used a 9 volt regulator as I found the circuit too unstable when operated above 9 volts, some people might actually like that quirkiness so that's up to you.[/b]
Yangushii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Gasboss.
I used a 100k dual pot.

I did used bc547c but socketed them so I can swap them if needed.

Any suggestion on what I can use?
gasboss775

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yangushii wrote:
Thanks Gasboss.
I used a 100k dual pot.

I did used bc547c but socketed them so I can swap them if needed.

Any suggestion on what I can use?

If you can find regular bc547 rather than bc547c, as the c at the end means that the transistors have the highest hFE / Beta. Do you have a meter that let's you measure hFE?

Try to find something around 250 or less, doesn't have to be bc547 as long as its npn and with hFE less than or around 250.
Yangushii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried with a bc547a (should be 220 HEF max)

I do get very faint variation at the end of the cutoff pot. By the way, I used a lin pot, could it be this?

Otherwise, i guess it's my layout... It's the first I made so I might need to have a second look Very Happy

Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: