electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Possible SK-5 mod idea?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Impugn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Possible SK-5 mod idea?
Subject description: New performace tool in my head..
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had an idea for an SK-5 mod for a while, and have been looking for similar projects online for some time to help me out (I'm completely ignorant with electronics), but since I can't find any, I'm turning to you smart folks Wink

What I really want out of it is a 4-footswitch pedal that can start/stop 4 sampled loops (chords, nothing rhythmic). When I switch-on 1, it would keep looping until I stepped on 2,3 or 4, in which case 1 would stop and the new loop (chord) would begin, until I switch it off, or switch-on another loop. I was imagining replacing the sample triggers on the SK-5 with mini jacks, to run to a floor pedal. But seeing as how there's a 99% chance that I'll break my SK-5, i'm not going to attempt anything without someone knowledgeable trying it first.

Im surprised that I couldn't find anything like this online. If anyone has, PLEASE let me know! I've found loopers, but nothing with the control that I need. It might be easier just making it from scratch, since I only really need the sampler part of the SK-5 (I would sample from another keyboard). But again, I know NOTHING about electronics. Sloppy guitar repairs are all I've ever done, and I'm sure I haven't even done those "right" Confused I've looked up DIY samplers, but there's a gap when they loop. I like how the SK-5 barely has a gap, and I don't really need more than a half-second per sample, since they'll just be chords to accompany my guitar playing and singing.

Thanks for any help!
forshee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a really useful mod. I thought I'd chime in since you haven't gotten anyone else to but I'll start by saying I have no SK experience, never even picked one up. If you have a bend for looping you could just run the bend out to a footswitch. If it's a one shot you could retrigger with a 555 (might need a transistor to act as a switch). Then use the footswitch to connect or disconnect the 555. The circuit bending is really a random thing what you talking about is really a mod that will take some extra hardware. I'm all for it but I don't think you'r going to get any warranties on circuit bending advice.
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and welcome, Impgn ! I don't have a SK-5 (only two SK-1s, does it make them a SK-2 ?), so I could be wrong, but wouldn't choosing a new sample mute the played loop ? You'd need then to a press a note again to start your new loop (aka chord)… Oh by the way : doesn't playing notes on the keyboard already transpose your samples ? (maybe not very practical if you already play along) Just an idea : you could sample the four most common chord types, and have access to any (common) chord possibility. The thing to consider is that if you need , say, two actions to run your new sample, making it one footswitch action would be a bit more complicated…
On a technical plan, you just need to physically connect the actual switch (well some connected jumper/diode/whatever) to the (momentary) footswitch, so it's not a big deal. Just derivate, no need to replace. Mini jacks or any two contact plug are an option.

RotomotioN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starting a new sample won't mute the other ones. You may want to get hold of those switches that unlatch the others when pressed. They usually come as a strip of switches and can be found in old radio's or amps. Then somehow build a pedalboard with that.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: