electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ATARI PUNK CONSOLE
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
VanaVara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: ATARI PUNK CONSOLE Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys!
I'm absolutely new in electronics, but I'm very interested in making DIY musical hardware. So i thought i should start with so called Atari Punk Console. I found this stripboard layout and tutorial
http://www.lushprojects.com/apc/lushprojects-atari-punk-console.pdf

I've followed every step trying to built one, but it doesn't work (LED shines but no sound). Then i found inadequacy --- layout shows 2 resistors, but in the Step 5 it clearly reads: "Put the four resistors on to the..." so maybe there is a mistake...? Could you guys anyone tell me is this layout I used is correct? Maybe you could post or link a correct and 100% working APC stripboard layout? (556 or dual 555 doesn't matter as long as it's working)

I also found these two different layouts:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/apc555_129.gif
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11028&g2_serialNumber=2

Any one of these are truly correct and fully working?

I would love to make this little noiser working so i could move on into electronics and make a sequencer etc...:)

Thank you in advance!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi VanaVara! welcome

I too had problems with this circuit. I never did get a 556 version working. What I did get to work is the second link you posted. There is a mistake on it though. You must NOT cut the stripboard track between the IC's.

apc correction.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.99 KB
 Viewed:  871 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

apc correction.jpg

VanaVara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, -minus-!
I'll try to build your circuit this evening and report if it's working this time:)
VanaVara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One more question about the this dual 555 circuit --- what if i'd like to connect 8ohm speaker instead of audio output, should i need to do any modifications to the circuit? What about volume control (100 log Pot), how should i connect it to this circuit?
-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You would need to amplify the output of the APC to use the 8ohm speaker. This involves more circuitry. You could try something like the Ruby Amp or Little Gem:

http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

I'd suggest you try and get the APC working first, then perhaps build a separate board for the amplifier. You may want to build the amp in its own box so it could be used for other projects you may build in future. You could test the APC by hooking up the output to some computer speakers or something similar.

For a volume control, take the output signal to an outer pin of the pot. Take the other outer pin of the pot to ground. Take the wiper (middle pin) of the pot to the output socket.

It is well worth getting a breadboard to test circuits first before you build them. It saves time and money and heartache in the long run. Laughing
-minus-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...or you could try this for the amplifier. I haven't personally tried it though:

http://hackaweek.com/hacks/?p=131
VanaVara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay, it's worrrrrking!
Thank you once again, Minus!
Now i would like to build a APC+Sequencer, and i found your layouts in this thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-37770-25.html --- so this baby is fully working, no mods or corrections required? I've seen you wrote there were some problems with sequencer knobs like they are "inactive" half the way, did you find any solution...?

All the best
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VanaVara wrote:
One more question about the this dual 555 circuit --- what if i'd like to connect 8ohm speaker instead of audio output, should i need to do any modifications to the circuit? What about volume control (100 log Pot), how should i connect it to this circuit?

a 555 can drive a speaker directly,. so you could attach a speaker to pin3 of
the second 555, but use a cap in series (like it has been done for the line out), 100uF would work.
google "ne555 speaker" and look at the images,. you'll find a bunch of
examples, some with an extra transistor, and a couple with volume control.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah well there you go! Try hooking up a speaker directly! I was not aware of this.

The APC and sequencer: No, I didn't find a solution to the pot problem. My stripboard sadly never made it into a case. I recall chopping pots off for other things Embarassed . I'll have another look at the circuit and see if I can sort it out with a bit more knowledge I've hopefully acquired since then.

Well done on getting the APC working!! It's such a great feeling when you create something which works! Smile
VanaVara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
No, I didn't find a solution to the pot problem. My stripboard sadly never made it into a case.

Hmmm...maybe replacing them with Logarithmic pots could solve the problem, but probably an error is in the circiut itself...? Anyway i'll try to build it myself and see how it works:) If you are going to revisit that sequencer and find where the problem was --- please let me know!:)

Quote:
It's such a great feeling when you create something which works!

Oh boy, it's a wonderful experience when you come from shop with a fistful of components, solder them together and it's working! Wanna build something more complex and massive now, my socks are on fire:))) By the way, Minus, maybe you can help me out with all this CV/Gate and Triggering stuff? >>> http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51975.html
Denis_Veselov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Hi VanaVara! welcome

I too had problems with this circuit. I never did get a 556 version working. What I did get to work is the second link you posted. There is a mistake on it though. You must NOT cut the stripboard track between the IC's.

There also isn't one jumper: (+)9V power to IC1's leg 4. I'll add it and my apc is working.

I don't verified the stripboard below, but I check it some times and I think it's ok.

apc556.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.21 KB
 Viewed:  13867 Time(s)

apc556.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: