electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc » TC-11
TC11 Patching
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: TC11 Patching Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to open a discussion about creating and editing patches. My first attempts at creating a patch was to turn off all modules except the minimum modules needed to create a sound. The next step was to set the parameters as neutral as possible and then save the patch as a raw template. I then started experimenting from there. This worked ok until I had time to really play some of the presets for an extended period of time.

Now I am duplicating the presets that I find the most interesting and promising into the user bank for future editing. What I am now finding, is that the user bank is going to become filled with a hodgepodge of patches that will quickly become cumbersome to find a particular patch.

I will probably incorporate version numbers to patches that are works in progress, along with letters to differentiate between the behavior of the touchpad. Perhaps as time goes on, multiple custom user banks can be added to the program.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved this to the new TC-11 sub forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: TC11 Patching Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banjo wrote:
Perhaps as time goes on, multiple custom user banks can be added to the program.

This is an interesting idea. I had a 'search' function in mind to help out users with large patch banks, but there are other ways that might work well. Perhaps tagging patches, and then allowing for a filtered User Patches list (i.e. - filtering to a particular tag would only show the patches matching that tag).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
filtering to a particular tag would only show the patches matching that tag

That sounds like a good idea. A bit of colour coding wouldn't go amiss either? Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tags could work very well. However, I would suggest that the user should have the ability to create the names for the tags. Since the way one plays this app, and the variety of ways that each patch makes sound, the traditional tags found in soft synths may not apply with this app.

If the user bank approach would work better, it may be advantageous to be able to load and save them with say 20 patches in each?
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banjo wrote:
Tags could work very well. However, I would suggest that the user should have the ability to create the names for the tags. Since the way one plays this app, and the variety of ways that each patch makes sound, the traditional tags found in soft synths may not apply with this app.

This might be possible. Have you used any Native Instruments apps? They have a fairly comprehensive tagging system that covers a huge range of styles and genres.

However, it would also be nice to save a group of unrelated patches together. Say you have a concert where you want quick access to the 9 patches you'll use throughout the evening. A custom 'folder' is what you'd want then.

I've got a lot to consider for the patch upgrades I'm looking at, but I like hearing your ideas. Smile
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many of the 'old' hardware synths allowed for 1 or more program lists for the purpose of live playing. It was typically just a list that indexed into the full list of presets available, almost like pointing into a database.

It also typically allowed for MIDI Program Change messages to step through a given list, vs. addressing the complete program list.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Native Instruments tagging system is good, but I can not remember if one can custom name the catagories and tag names. If the TC11 uses the tagging system, what kind of names would you give the tags, when so much is dependant on on how the patches are played rather than the type of sound that is produced. For that reason is why I would lean towards custom loadable patch banks. Not having any experience in creating apps, I have no idea how feasable that would be for the ipad. Whatever the solution is, I'm sure it will be a good one.
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have some secondary reasons to go with standardized patch tags, but I do agree that some of them will have to be TC-11 performance oriented. Patch folders might then be a separate feature.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc » TC-11
Jump to: