electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Envelope used as faster LFO (Peake's method)
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Infrablue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Envelope used as faster LFO (Peake's method) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some may recognize this as a minimalist version of Igor Stravinsky's "Action Rituelle des Ancêtres" (Ritual Action of the Ancestors) from Part 2 of The Rite of Spring.

It demonstrates looping Envelope 1, which is hard wired to pitch on the Andromeda, to make a sine LFO. This can get a much faster and smoother LFO than the normal LFO's provided. Method detailed in "Tips and Tricks" for the Alesis Andromeda by one of the developers, "Peake". Probably many of you have done this but I had to give it a test.

Cool idea! Thanks, Peake!

I loop this and play it while I sleep to relax.

(update: here is a version per request with no reverb... there is a tiny bit of acoustic bovine emulation that leaked into the mix near the end though, but it is a pretty rare artifact that's worth hearing)

from Andromeda Tips and Tricks:

4.2 getting a fast lfo (greater than 25hz):

Unfortunately, due to hardware limitations, the LFOs cannot go past 25Hz, as Mike Peake pointed out:

I certainly have an interest in slow stuff like that.. I'm the guy who insisted that the LFOs be able to go as slowly as they do (but the hardware is what limits the upper rate, which we looked into opening even 10Hz more, but with large modulations you could hear the digitization, too much so we kept it where it was--sorry).

The envelopes actually run on a much faster cycle than the LFOs. The envelopes also loop. This means, if you want that faster-than-25Hz cycle on the LFOs, there is a way!

Choose an envelope. Instead of modulating something by an LFO, you will be modulating something by a looping envelope, as follows:
FAST TRIANGLE LFO: Set the envelope attack to 2ms. Set the envelope decay 1 to 2ms and then drop D2 level to the lowest level. For a triangle LFO, you set the slopes of the envelopes to linear; you can experiment with various slope rates as well. Now, go to Loop (soft button 5). Set the start at attack, and the end at decay 1. Set the loop type to FORWARD. This will give you a 250Hz LFO to work with. For a 500Hz LFO, you can try setting the start and end at attack and set the loop type to ROKROL.
FAST POSITIVE SINE LFO: You can also do a positive-wave sine wave with a looping envelope. Set the attack speed at 2ms, and the slope as EXP 3. Forget about the rest. Now, go to Loop. Set the start and end at attack. Set the loop type to FORWARD. Set the looping to ROKROL.
FAST SAW LFO: Set the envelope attack to 2ms. Set the slopes of the attack to linear. Now, go to Loop (soft button 5). Set the start at attack, and the end at attach. Set the loop type to FORWARD. This will give you a 5000Hz saw LFO.

You can modulate envelope stage times to achieve some form of envelope modulation if desired. (Attack and decay 1 times are modulatable in each envelope’ s MOD n directories.)

To calculate looping envelope frequency, perform the following calculation: 1 / (Total milliseconds of envelope / 1000) = n Hz. Example: 1 / (2 / 1000) = 500 Hz

Last edited by Infrablue on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beyond the LFO question...i hear a great sounding oscillator Smile

could you do it without reverb? so it could remain as a 'demo shoacase'.

thx for the tip though.
Mefistophelees

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Envelope used as faster LFO (Peake's method) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Infrablue wrote:
I loop this and play it while I sleep to relax.

I'd hate to hear what irritates you!

Infrablue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi... thank you... sure... I'll put one up with no reverb. Smile

as far as what sound irritates me most? I really hate the sound of pickles. They don't make a sound but just anything I hear when I have to eat or smell one.

An unfiltered, unmodulated, constant sine wave also drives me crazy after a few minutes of ringing in my ears but it's usually a few hours of it before it makes me hallucinate.

Digital distortion also makes cry and run away sometimes.
Infrablue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi, per your request, here's another demo with no reverb.

Near the end there is a tiny bit of acoustic bovine emulation that I had a hard time filtering out but most of it is just the envelope as LFO demo.

Love your passion about the Andromeda. Those VCO's are truly wonderful. All 32 of them!

sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

making faster lfo's can also be done with the trackinggenerator
( take the lfo triangle as source, ' draw 2, 4 or more triangles over the values of the sourceshape " and voila 2, 4,or more times the frequency, and changable like on a normal lfo )
Infrablue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good insight, Sunny! It is really cool finding out just how many great uses there are for the tracking generator. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: