electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Stereo accidently becomes Mono
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
numbed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Stereo accidently becomes Mono
Subject description: Trying to make a basic stereo signal processor with a single power source
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys,

Hope you all had a nice weekend!

I have a basic question for you.. Couldn't find an answer to this online since I'm not sure what I should be looking for Shocked

I'm trying to make a circuit that cut (STEREO) music when light hits an LDR.

The circuit im using is this:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/tranldr1.gif

Only I insert an audio signal where the LED goes which gives me a signal cut when light hits the LDR, which is perfect for my application and sounds good.

This super basic circuit is working for me as long as it is Mono.. If i try to make it stereo i.e. duplicate it and feed it with the same 9v battery the 2 signals are mixed into one.

Any simple way I can overcome this? I'd really like to use a single power supply for this.. as this would eventually be a part of an installation so the less I have to mess with it and replacing batteries the better.

Thank you very much!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is one wacky circuit. I guess what's happening is you are simply shorting the signal to ground when the light comes on. Not the greatest, but it has a funky charm. You might try increasing the size of the 470 ohm resistor. It would be easier to understand if you indicated where the audio in and out points are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
numbed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much!

Yes, I know it is a bit punk.. heheh, but I really couldn't find anything else to do the trick. I basically wanted an inverted gate with a side chained that is dictated by a light source..

I will try your suggestion right away an keep you posted.

Here's a beautiful illustration of what i'm doing ( hope it shed some more light on my issue):

http://i44.tinypic.com/11jamma.jpg

I have tried many LED/diodes configurations. The picture shows the LEDs still in place which is currently how it is. Removing them does not change much though..

Many thanks!!
numbed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so I have replaced the 470R to a 10K one and it did the trick!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I now have a proper stereo out.

Although I am satisfied with the circuit now (and will probably go on to add regulating parts in order to connect this to a normal power supply), I should mention that some of the other characteristic of the device have slightly changed.

Each LDR is now controlling both outputs i.e. it does not matter which one im darkening, both of the out puts are effected. I initially wanted this! so another little experiment proved i can just take one of them out and place a jumper where it use to be.

The 2nd thing that changed is that now there is a bit of audio leakage when light hits the ldr's.. It's no biggie, it is ART after all. The difference when I darken the LDR to when it's lighted is still very big.

I left the LEDs where they were. Taking them out eliminate the leakage but ruins the stereo in a similar manner to the way it was before..

Any thought on how I should get around this? Although, again, this was already super helpful!!

Many Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: