electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 on Windows 7 64-bit
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: G2 on Windows 7 64-bit
Subject description: Not officially supported, but seems to work
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

According to Nord, version 2.16 of their USB driver, which is the one they say should be used for the G2, cannot be installed on 64-bit Windows 7 because it is not appropriately signed. In fact, they claim that there is no driver that they support for the G2 on 64-bit Windows 7.

However, I just tried installing the latest version of their generic 64-bit driver (3.02, listed under the Nord Wave) and it seems to work fine, with no installation hitches. Your mileage may vary, of course; but at least you have one (more) positive data point.
brunov

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I'm running the Clavia driver on Windows 7 64bit for a couple of months now without any troubles.
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rock solid here since more than one year ago, including the new driver and the previous, unsigned one.
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works here as well!

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
miketheman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m looking into getting a newer OS to my computer, and if Win 7 Pro seems to work with G2 Engine (+ editor) it may be the way to go.

However, I´ve tried to read up on this. But I can´t seem to get any straight and clear answer:

Do I need a XP license to be able to run XP-based programs as the G2 editor in Windows 7?

How are you guys running your OS and G2 editor setup?

Thanks in advance!
/Mike

ark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is not necessary to run Windows XP in order to use the G2. I am using my G2 (keyboard version, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with the Engine) with Windows 7 64-bit with no problem.

Download the Nord USB driver version 3.02. Nord officially claims that this driver is not compatible with the G2, but I have had no problems whatsoever with it.

You should then be able to install the editor, and you should be good to go.

If, for some reason, this doesn't work for you, you can run Windows XP as a subsystem under Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate at no extra charge, provided that your computer hardware supports hardware-assisted virtualization (which most modern machines do, although some require you to turn it on as a BIOS option). You can see how to install that here.

However, I do not see any reason to go through this process just to be able to edit patches on your G2 -- I have had no problems at all using the 3.02 Nord USB driver and the 1.62 editor on 64-bit Windows 7.
miketheman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ark!

Thanks for your reply. The reason for me try to avoid XP is that my only license (XP home) is an OEM tied to my first computer (broken), so that boot CD checks for that specific hardware.
The second computer, the one I´m using right now, is an refurbished one where no start/boot CD (XP professional) were included in the purchase, and weren´t supposed to be either according to the company I bought it from (didn´t know that first).

Anyway the HDD recently malfunctioned before I managed to get an SSD, so I never got a chance to migrate the OS/system with all drivers and BIOS settings regarding the hardware.
After a heck of a long time trying, I´ve finally found out the right BIOS settings to even be able to startup the damn thing again with my new SSD. But still got no boot CD and no original (functional) HDD to migrate the OS from. So I have had to get hold of another XP (Corporate Edition), and after a lot of time and errors also succeed installing it.

But it didn´t end there, since this wasn´t an boot CD originally meant for my computer, there weren´t too much drivers that actually did work. Especially the ethernet/network and/or Wireless LAN didn´t. So I couldn´t connect to internet and have the computer searching for the correct drivers and or OS updates/service packs. After I´ve been manually downloading the ethernet driver, to a Mac here at home, and send it via Bluetooth to my cellphone and connect that one to my computer via USB cable (with my phone seen as an extra HDD/external memory). I finally could connect to internet and search for the remaining hardware drivers, and also download OS updates/service packs. Haven´t got all hardware working yet, but I am closing in.

However, somewhere within all those OS updates and service packs the Microsofts "spy" software came along. Which checks for valid version of OS. And of course it claims that this OS is not.
Hence, my thinking of getting an OS that is real with a license key and first and foremost: an boot CD that I can use without trouble (hopefully).
I´m not good regarding computers, so I rather pay something and use "real" stuff than trying to get workaround methods working.
It seems that me computer can use HAV, it´s not enabled right now but it seems to be there when using that Microsoft (HAV) checking tool.

all this crap just for wanting continue use my NM G2...

ark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Assuming that your computer is capable of supporting Windows 7, then you should be able to purchase Windows 7 Professional, install that on your machine (completely ignoring any Windows XP stuff you may have used in the past), and then run the Nord editor under Windows 7.

Once you have Widows 7 Professional properly installed and validated on your machine, you can download and install XP mode at no extra charge; you do not need a separate XP license. However, if your experience is like mine, you will not need XP in order to use your G2.
Derek Cook

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
Assuming that your computer is capable of supporting Windows 7, then you should be able to purchase Windows 7 Professional, install that on your machine (completely ignoring any Windows XP stuff you may have used in the past), and then run the Nord editor under Windows 7.

Once you have Widows 7 Professional properly installed and validated on your machine, you can download and install XP mode at no extra charge; you do not need a separate XP license. However, if your experience is like mine, you will not need XP in order to use your G2.

Yes, I was thinking of upgrading from Home Premium to Professional for that reason. Smile

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: