electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Contacting Magic Smoke?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
KnobHell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Contacting Magic Smoke? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I hope this is the proper place for this.

On January 27th I ordered and paid Magic Smoke for 2 TH-201 Mankato VCF circuit boards and parts. Since then I haven't heard a thing from them, is this common? I've emailed sever times have haven't received a response.

I would really like to get the boards to get my project started. How can I contact them for a status?

Thanks

len
KnobHell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea! Tim emailed me tonight. I will get my order next week.

Thanks Tim
AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had to learn that the guys of several PCB sellers do this in their free and sparetime, so sometimes you will have to wait a while before stuff get rolling Smile

I wait for my 2nd order of PCB's from curetronic since begin of october last year Sad

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
KnobHell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yikes!

I can understand the batch thing, waiting to do a run until they have enough demand to get a good price. Although setting expectations is helpful too. I don't mind waiting, just like to know the timing so I can plan when I need time and money. Smile

Since I am on the beginning of my synth project I am just learning all the ins and outs. I also keep recalibrating my expectations. When I started out I had visualized a wall of knobs and patch cords covering my wall within 6 months. Looking back I now realize how naive that mentality was. I've literally read tens of thousands of messages across the many synth forums. I now am just beginning to understand what I am getting myself into. Over my life I've built some reasonably large projects that span many years. In the 70's while in my teens I designed and built an 8008 computer from scratch over a three year period. I now understand that my 8008 pales in comparison with what I am now planning with the synth. Today it's not the money that that restrains the project, it's the available time and my expectations of perfection.

When I first set out my intentions were to just buy a "stock" DotCom system. After scouring the forums I started to appreciate the vast number of diverse modules that would give my synth unimaginable possibilities. I've listened to hundreds of sound clips and now have an appreciation that an oscillator is just not an oscillator. I also better understand differences in filters, EG's, and other modules. I also know that I have so much to learn. By spreading this project over three to five years I'll have time to explore each module in depth. I also have learned that this is a continuum, that I will never truly come to end end. I need to just sit back and enjoy the journey.

Just a note here: I've been a lurker here for a while and just recently joined. I truly appreciate all of you who have taken the time to share your knowledge and talents. I hope that someday I will be able to give back a small amount of what I have received. I am impressed with the quality of this and other synth forums. People in this "hobby" appear to cooperate on a much more friendly level than other areas that I've delved into. Thank you for that.

Cheers!

len
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Contacting Magic Smoke? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Everyone,

Yes, I do try to get back to people as soon as I can, but it's also true that Magic Smoke is a "hobby" business that I run in my spare time. Life at a fast-paced startup in the Silicon Valley (my Day Job) can be a bit hectic sometimes, so there may be times when the better part of a week will go by where I don't have a chance to check my Magic Smoke email, but rest assured I will get your parts to you. A surprising amount of synth businesses are run that way, so a bit of patience goes a long way here in synth land. Wink That being said, if you ever really need to yell at me, drop me a PM here, or even send an email to my private address tim.parkhurst@gmail.com

Oh, and a huge thanks to all the folks who have purchased goodies from me. Smile

Tim (off to my 'other job') Servo
AlasdairMoons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My boards arrived yesterday,

thanks tim

my DIY-blog: http://ardvinnamodular.blogspot.be
my DIY Youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAR64-81C3FbK_Hejz2QHw
my Music-Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzTd_AEK6CVM4gn325wvjYQ
my Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/AlasdairMoon
roglok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad somebody put this up - was worried if those Tempcos would ever reach me...

Thanks for elucidating your situation Tim. Patience is a sublime virtue... sigh
xi-boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

on the 11th of april a friend and i ordered and paid parts from magic smoke for 74,50 dollar total
on the 4th of mai magic smoke answered our (polite) question about the missing parts with: "If it doesn't show up this week I'll re-ship it" !
since that we didn't get any reaction to our emails pm etc.
our emails and pm's where always polite and not pushing - just questioning if the parts are send or got lost
i mean - even if its just an "hobby" 74 dollars should be worth an answer !
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're not the only one with a few bucks out there to Magic Smoke. Tim is good for it, but real life periodically ties him up. I'm personally waiting on an el Cerrito board that hasn't even been acknowledged, but I've done business with Tim before and I'm confident I will get it.

For some perspective, you might check out this thread at Muff's Smile

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-59876.html
xi-boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

finally the parcel has arrived. it was send end of mai
thank you
marvkaye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ditto elmegil's comments... I was in the same situation, got an email from Tim yesterday acknowledging a few-week old order with a shipping commitment for this week. I've done biz w/ Magic Smoke a number of times, only been delayed, never been burned. Good folks, just not fast.

<marv>
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an ack on the el Cerrito in the last day as well. All is good Smile
xi-boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't mind about the speed - its the lack of communication
if tim would have told us he is going to send it later (end of mai)
we wouldn't have been worried and complaint here
but now i am happy it arrived and its all good now
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: