electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
How Do I Get This Effect
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bobawp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: How Do I Get This Effect Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYtT7QHaUAc I know this video is retarded but how do I get my microphone to sound like this ?? . Ty in advance
airlock

Audio files: 53

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do I Get This Effect Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bobawp wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYtT7QHaUAc I know this video is retarded but how do I get my microphone to sound like this ?? . Ty in advance

Seriously? Sing off-key and abuse auto-tune to taste in the spots where you want that effect.

You might find Gearslutz.com to be a better source of info on specific pop music production techniques than here. Remember to do a search before posting a query there or you'll get smacked for asking a question that's been answered many times since 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXiECmCZ94
Russian Roulette
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Airlock, there's no call for ridiculing anyone on E-M, particularly in response to their first post. So anyway, bobawp, welcome
As to your question, I suppose Autotune will mangle your voice in interesting ways, or camouflage smaller intonation problems.
For a more knowledgeable answer on this forum, you might want to try the"Production - engineering/mixing sub-forum:
http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-104.html

airlock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Airlock, there's no call for ridiculing anyone on E-M, particularly in response to their first post.

Oskar, I wasn't ridiculing the OP, and there is no supposing about it: autotune abuse is the effect in question, as I answered. Further, a search here at E-M will reveal NOT ONE reference to the use of autotune in this manner, whereas one could spend a year reading threads on the topic at Gearslutz- again, as I answered.
audiodef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChucK is an excellent way to mangle your voice!
airlock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:

Could be but would the effect be dynamic in the same way as deliberately singing off-key in spots and also generate those kind of autotune artifacts? The clip the OP refered to is a typical use for pop and can be done live. OTOH, who cares? Maybe Chuck does something Autotune can't? Any samples, audiodef?
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you had a bad day Airlock or is there another reason for your arrogance here?
airlock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Have you had a bad day Airlock or is there another reason for your arrogance here?

You two guys need glasses and an interpreter, and maybe read up on how the effect in question is actually accomplished, to wit: sing off key and (literally) abuse autotune.

If you are objecting to my use of the word "seriously", I apologize for the apparent negative effect that word seems to have had, I used it more out of an amused disbelief that a) someone would want to do such a played-out thing and b) has apparently never heard of Autotune. It's almost a troll query at this point, 2 musical generations after the original sin.

I don't think calling me arrogant and accusing me of ridiculing a new user is very productive behavior. And I'd also object to trying to send the OP on a snipe hunt, as Oskar did. Maybe it's the lighting in here, but the mis-guided attempt to flex your MOD muscles is getting a bit irritating.

This place aint the same since Cheltenham...
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Calm down, Sir! Very Happy
I was not speaking as a mod - I only got that title for suggesting Mosc and the guys establish a string instrument subforum - I was merely worried that the guy's first post shouldn't also be his last.
If you want to get sarcastic and implying I'm not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to sound engineering and other techie stuff, then you have me bang to rights, and as a non-native speaker of the English language I may not have a hundred per cent grasp of all the finer details, but I do know how to meet a newbie with a "Welcome." If he/she should turn out to be, as you imply, a troll, one of the higher echeleon mods will probably deal with that as and when.
In the meantime, can we agree to stop this before it turns into a slanging match? Also, could you find it in you to give newbies the benefit of doubt?

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, you just are arrogant, I see now.
airlock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Calm down, Sir! Very Happy
I was not speaking as a mod - I only got that title for suggesting Mosc and the guys establish a string instrument subforum - I was merely worried that the guy's first post shouldn't also be his last.

Your sensitivity was misguided, I said nothing to intentionally offend the OP, but it looks like the E-M Style Guide cops got riled just the same.

Oskar wrote:
If you want to get sarcastic and implying I'm not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to sound engineering and other techie stuff, then you have me bang to rights, and as a non-native speaker of the English language I may not have a hundred per cent grasp of all the finer details, but I do know how to meet a newbie with a "Welcome."

You would do well to remember that you do not have a fine grasp of the language before implying that someone who DOES is being sarcastic, unhelpful or rude. You are a MOD, maybe you should act like one in a responsible manner before accusing others of acting unacceptably? And what was with telling the OP about doing a search HERE? There is NOTHING in the forums that would be of use to the OP in this matter. You simply sent the OP on a snipe hunt with that reply. I may have failed to greet the OP with a Welcome but I didn't misdirect him the way you did either. Not very MOD-like or helpful.

Oskar wrote:
If he/she should turn out to be, as you imply, a troll, one of the higher echeleon mods will probably deal with that as and when.

I never implied the user was a troll:

"It's almost a troll query at this point, 2 musical generations after the original sin. "

"Almost" being the key word there.

Oskar wrote:
In the meantime, can we agree to stop this before it turns into a slanging match? Also, could you find it in you to give newbies the benefit of doubt?

This bit is so totally off-base and self-serving that I'm not even going to Google "slanging."

You know, in your PM to me a couple of days ago you seemed to have grasped that you were in error in your original reply to me in this thread. It's a shame you didn't find it within yourself to post that apparently faintly held belief here where all could read it, so that they too might possibly realize that they are also in error, and refrain from ganging-up on unsuspecting and well-meaning posters.

Despite the protests (and name calling) of two MODs it was I who actually provided the OP with the only useful and relevant information in this entire thread, and you two have contributed... nothing. And now an entreaty to give newbies the benefit of the doubt.

Classic.

Two MODs acting like holier-than-thou prisses, indulging themselves with name calling and backdoor tactics. Simply the most obnoxious, inexcusable and self-defeating behavior imaginable from MODs on any forum, the surprise is it's seemingly allowable here.

BobTheDog wrote:
Ah, you just are arrogant, I see now.

Eye of the beholder, dog.

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical
humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change."
Frank Lloyd Wright

I won't hold my breath waiting for a mea culpa from the likes of you two.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be quite honest it is people like you that put me off the internet.
airlock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
To be quite honest it is people like you that put me off the internet.

Well, all due apologies for that. Perhaps we could have done a better job of it, as it seems you're still here.

(Now I don't care who reads that, that shit is funny.)

BobTheDog, honestly, if this is as good as it gets from you and Oskar as MODs (or thread participants) I'd find it hard to believe you'd be missed. But, prove me wrong, get another E-M MOD in here to back you guys up on any of this and I'll leave you to your mysterious ways.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Already done
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Airlock wrote:

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical
humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change."
Frank Lloyd Wright

Always act in such a way as to increase your options.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.. Airlock's initial answer isn't really too far off, and yes.. we haven't really had any discussions of the Autotune effect here ever.. not as far as i can recall. And it is quite true that there are a zillion threads out there discussing abuse of Autotune. And using the word abuse is fairly correct because the whole point is forcing Autotune to do that pop wobble.. instead of doing what it was intended to.. like helping any fairly decent singer to sound pitch perfect. It can be argued that using Autotune for what it was really intended to do was the real abuse, but pitch correction of singers is the industry standard these days.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read the original two posts in this thread and actually Airlock had the right answer. If you sing off key into an autotune it trills trying to lock into one or the other of the quantized pitches. The only thing I'd add is it's not a technique likely to be found in the forums because it isn't really experimentation, being so widely used. It's debatable if it's used because people who sing into those things are deliberately doing it, or they can't sing in the first place, or they've developed bad singing skills into an art form.

As to the rest of this, I'll apologise on behalf of the site for any misunderstandings. We actually value our volunteer staff a lot, and they are a lot of help to us, for all of the behind the scenes things they do. I don't know anybody who always gets it right, including and especially me. Had I been paying more attention we wouldn't be at this point. So for that you have my personal apologies too.

Home,My Studio,and another view
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think the issue here was with Airlock being correct but rather with his attitude.

The use of "Seriously?" and telling a new user to search for info otherwise they will get smacked to me seems rude and arrogant.

But is this sort of behaviour is deemed to be ok who am I to say otherwise.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the original post I don't read it as such. Indeed, going to Gearslutz with a naive question will invite abuse, so the warning is apt. I wouldn't be proud of what was written subsequently, to be sure, but my job as content police is limited to content, not attitude.

We can't legislate "nice". We can ask members of the community to be civil and considerate and we can try to lead by example. I wish everyone was nice, but the world is not made up of nice people. It is made up of people.

Home,My Studio,and another view
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it is acceptable to have members of the forum slagging people off then?

I must admit I thought this was not the case, looks like Airlock is correct and this place is not for me then.

Bye
audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Airlock wrote:
audiodef wrote:

Could be but would the effect be dynamic in the same way as deliberately singing off-key in spots and also generate those kind of autotune artifacts? The clip the OP refered to is a typical use for pop and can be done live. OTOH, who cares? Maybe Chuck does something Autotune can't? Any samples, audiodef?

I'm a ChucK n00b. Les would know. I have a feeling it would be easy to come up with, though.

audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

Always act in such a way as to increase your options.

I like this. Smile

audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
pitch correction of singers is the industry standard these days.

That's unfortunate. This allows two things: no-talent pretty boys and girls to be "somebody", and artists who have latent talent to end up as no-talent "somebodies" because they depended on this crutch instead of practising til it hurts.

I don't like the idea of auto-correction. I can't hear normally, and I still refuse to use it. I'd like to be able to pick up an instrument and a mic and just go, and still sound half-way decent at least. That only happens if the only thing I have to depend on is myself.

audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
We actually value our volunteer staff a lot, and they are a lot of help to us, for all of the behind the scenes things they do.

Having been an ass once, as I went through something in life, I have come to appreciate this. I hope I can be of service, myself. Cool

audiodef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
So it is acceptable to have members of the forum slagging people off then?

Never.

BobTheDog wrote:

I must admit I thought this was not the case, looks like Airlock is correct and this place is not for me then.

Stay for the rest of us who appreciate the artists who populate our community and who respect each other. I had to learn how to ignore posts that once annoyed me, and even to forgive those annoyances. I just focus on my music, for the most part, and appreciate any intellectual conversation that comes along. Cool

Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: