electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CMOS Wave Shaper
Page 1 of 6 [127 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: CMOS Wave Shaper
Subject description: Schematic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sure that there are similar schematics floating around the web and some people might have posted them here already, but I drew this up for myself and figured I would share it just in case someone else could use it.

The source sqaurewave could come from anything, but in my schematic it is a 40106 oscillator. It runs a little high and is used as the clock frequency for the shift register. The same signal is also divided with a 4040 and used as the base input for the shift register. I do this dividing so that the spacing of the steps changes along with the pitch.

I added a couple of option at the output for more shaping. A cap to ground rounds it off into a nice sine wave. Passing the sound through a low value cap acts as a highpass filter that turns each edge of the step into a spike.

You could probably do some really weird wave shaping by using separate low or highpass filters on each output from the 4006. This might almost allow you to draw the desired waveform with a bit of practice.

waveshapersteps.jpg
 Description:
Standard stepped triangle.
 Filesize:  77.39 KB
 Viewed:  48013 Time(s)

waveshapersteps.jpg

waveshapersine.jpg
 Description:
Sine wave.
 Filesize:  80.38 KB
 Viewed:  48013 Time(s)

waveshapersine.jpg

waveshaperspikes.jpg
 Description:
Spiked steps.
 Filesize:  85.41 KB
 Viewed:  48014 Time(s)

waveshaperspikes.jpg

cmosWaveShaper.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.96 KB
 Viewed:  4439 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

cmosWaveShaper.gif

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, if this works, then its very interesting.
might breadboard it up tomorrow. Very Happy
nice work

Sodium

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure, that looks very nice, especially those spikes Smile. Does it perform with other input signals as well, or is it square in only?
sonic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very interesting indeed, Jake. I will try it out. It would be great to have an adjustable wave shaper module to accompany my 40106 VCO.
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sodium - It might work with other waveforms if the peaks go over the CMOS threshold, but I think for optimal performance you will want to use a comparator to create a squarewave if you are using a different wave as the source.

Sonic - I was actually thinking about your vco when I was making it. It would be a cool module.

I was playing around with it today adding more or less of the shift register outputs, and changing the mixing resistors for diodes or small caps. You can make some very unique waveforms, but it is kind of difficult to predict how it is going to look and sound until you test it out.

sonic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
Sonic - I was actually thinking about your vco when I was making it. It would be a cool module.

Wow! Thanks so much!
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also just created a similar stepped saw wave. I will make the schematic and post in a couple of days, but it is just a 4017 that has a different valued resistor on each output. Q1 has low resistance, Q9 has a lot of resistance, and Q10 isn't connected.

waveshapersaw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.21 KB
 Viewed:  47856 Time(s)

waveshapersaw.jpg

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't it easier to get that saw wave from an R2R ladder and a 4040? Acctually probably about the same effort/parts are required for each.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
Isn't it easier to get that saw wave from an R2R ladder and a 4040?

Maybe, but this is the idea I came up with. If you have another method, then please share.

I think it might be useful to put sliding pots on each output of the 4017 instead of fixed resistors. Then you could literally draw out any 10-bit waveform on the sliding pots.

Then add switchable highpass and lowpass filters to either smooth it out or make spikes.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen that once before Smile used some different chips though if I remember rightly, you've come up with some good ideas here nevertheless Wink I look forwards to hearing some of these circuits Very Happy

concretedog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure...this looks brilliant...I didn't realise I hd any 4006 but just found one...will breadboard this when I get chance...that sine wave image has me tempted!
Nardu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

128 steps staircase generator ; an R/2R ladder network and a 4024 .

2.4b ramp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  337.23 KB
 Viewed:  1333 Time(s)

2.4b ramp.jpg

1.7b ramp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  345.64 KB
 Viewed:  1180 Time(s)

1.7b ramp.jpg

Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Nardu! That is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Nardu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4024 7b ramp oscillator stripboard (veroboard):

osc ramp 4024 discreet network.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.99 KB
 Viewed:  826 Time(s)

osc ramp 4024 discreet network.jpg

osc ramp 4024 SIP network.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.77 KB
 Viewed:  828 Time(s)

osc ramp 4024 SIP network.jpg

Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I substitute different resistor values? 150k and 75k are odd values that i do not have in quantity.

Would 47k and 100k work?

corex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cynosure wrote:
Can I substitute different resistor values? 150k and 75k are odd values that i do not have in quantity.

Would 47k and 100k work?

The ratio is important: R/2R. 47K is half of 100K, minus 6%. With an error of 6%, your error term is as large as your fourth bit (1/16th == 0.0625, ~6%). That means that you may as well only build a three-bit R/2R ladder.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder#Accuracy_of_R-2R_resistor_ladders
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but 47k and 94k (ie, 2 x 47k in series) would work...[/left]
Nardu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Consider to use only 100k resistor. 2x100k in parallel = 50k.
Accuracy of R-2R resistor ladders for 7 bits is 1/127=0.79%
Discrete resistor should be 0.5% tolerance.
Cynosure
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so if I were to make it i would need to by resistors with better tolerance anyway, so i can get the same values.

Thanks!

corex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nardu wrote:
Consider to use only 100k resistor. 2x100k in parallel = 50k.
Accuracy of R-2R resistor ladders for 7 bits is 1/127=0.79%
Discrete resistor should be 0.5% tolerance.

Yeah, this is the way to go. Especially easy if you've got a bin full of 100k 1%'s.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For an R2R ladder, unless you want to be precise and accurate, almost any value will work. I think I used resistors near 220k and 100k in my Lunetta death pipes from outer space. I didn't have enough you see? So I just put in any near values. Everything still worked fine, things were just a bit non-linear.

Nardu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An R/2R ladder resistor network ... it's about a simple precise and accurate D/A converter.
dougseidel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sometimes accurate and precise is either difficult to achieve, or just not as interesting. anyway, the ladder-shaped thing can be used to do all kinds of interesting translations of information.
corex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougseidel wrote:
sometimes accurate and precise is either difficult to achieve, or just not as interesting. anyway, the ladder-shaped thing can be used to do all kinds of interesting translations of information.

This is an excellent point, especially regarding Lunettas. Imprecision is part of the fun.
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice info Smile . I approach the lunetta as a free form type of instrument, therefore precision isn't so important to me. I've done many versions of wave shapers, filters, adsr's, vco's and some of their complexity rivals that of modulars. Those machines rely on precise tolerances and ain't what I'm looking for in lunetta building.

Mosc clued many of us "in" long ago in reiterating the importance of keeping it simple with these circuits. Go ahead and make complicated modules but keep in mind they may not work the way you hoped. That is the Tao of Lunetta Very Happy

But by all means experiment; us ol timers enjoy the newly initiated and their zeal Twisted Evil .

Page 1 of 6 [127 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: