electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc » TC-11
TC-11 1.3 update +
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: TC-11 1.3 update + Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1.3 is out - new interface elements - new patch options. But I really wanted to post an image from the new iPad's retina display:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

It is gorgeous. It isn't in the 1.3 update, but I'll be putting out 1.3.1 very soon to get the new retina assets in. I hope you all show off your new displays with the app once it gets updated on the app store. Smile
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks sharp!

Have you noticed any audio processing improvements in the new iPad?

Bit Shape

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wrapping up the retina upgrade right now, then I'm going to take a look at the performance stats. From my limited understanding of the iPad processor, it looks like the A5X chip is an incremental improvement, so I don't expect anything major.

Will report back!
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very excited about a retina update for this. Thanks for continually updating the app! I just bought my first iPad and I'm going to start learning this instrument very soon.
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am getting a weird bug I think on the iPad 3rd gen. Every patch has strange interference and noise. Sometimes I hear horrible feedback and sometimes it's just varying degrees of static noise.

Is this a user issue or some issue with the new iPad.
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RevolvingSheep wrote:
I am very excited about a retina update for this. Thanks for continually updating the app! I just bought my first iPad and I'm going to start learning this instrument very soon.

Thanks! I have lots of plans for TC-11. There are many more upgrades coming.

And the retina update - really - it's stunning.

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/images/tc-11/tc-11-retina-comparison.png
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RevolvingSheep wrote:
I am getting a weird bug I think on the iPad 3rd gen. Every patch has strange interference and noise. Sometimes I hear horrible feedback and sometimes it's just varying degrees of static noise.

I haven't gotten anything like that here. Are you using the built-in audio output, speaker, or a Bluetooth / USB interface? And every patch is getting this?
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to your findings Bit Shape!

And thanks for being responsive to your customers - it really is apprectiated! Seems some app developers do an initial 'here I am and here's my app'. And then nothing further...

Bit Shape

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Looking forward to your findings Bit Shape!

And thanks for being responsive to your customers - it really is apprectiated! Seems some app developers do an initial 'here I am and here's my app'. And then nothing further...

I'm glad people are willing to contact me with issues. I catch every bug that I can, but getting it out into the wild can make strange things rise to the surface. As for the new iPad, I was very happy when I got mine to see things were running normally (it's definitely makes you nervous to have your app available for hardware you haven't personally tested).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome stuff Kevin! Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bit Shape wrote:
RevolvingSheep wrote:

I haven't gotten anything like that here. Are you using the built-in audio output, speaker, or a Bluetooth / USB interface? And every patch is getting this?

Yes every patch. You know the one with the arrow shaped graphic that moves up and down when you tilt the iPad? The one with the arpeggio. It sounds like it is hooked up to a distortion pedal and sometimes when I launch the app, I hear horrible feedback. I'm not using any accessories.
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RevolvingSheep wrote:
Yes every patch. You know the one with the arrow shaped graphic that moves up and down when you tilt the iPad? The one with the arpeggio. It sounds like it is hooked up to a distortion pedal and sometimes when I launch the app, I hear horrible feedback. I'm not using any accessories.

The only time I've heard feedback was with the first gen. iPad. I'm definitely concerned, here. Can you make a recording of the distorted sound? In the 'Settings' tab, make sure 'Show Record Button' is on. Then on the 'Performance' screen, you can use the recording features to make a short audio recording. It will appear in iTunes when you connect the iPad (under your iPad >> Apps, down at the bottom in iTunes File Sharing).

Can you email me a recording? bitshapesoftware@gmail.com

I've been working on the new iPad for the last day - no issues here. Definitely nothing of that caliber.

In more positive news, Version 1.3.1 has been uploaded to the App Store. Retina graphics, and improved latency for iPad 1 users.
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I will definitely get a recording for you ASAP. I'm out of town but I'm sure I can find a moment to record.
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Email sent!
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured something out. I think the noise has something to do with the mic on. I started a project last night with a friend with the idea of doing the whole thing on an iPad. I showed him TC-11 and the bug and we discovered that the mic was active on the iPad. We used it to our advantage... here is the experiment we came up with so that you can hear what it's doing.

http://soundcloud.com/simplexity/experiment01
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That makes sense (and is the only way you would get the kind of feedback you sent me). However, it also makes no sense at all from the renderbuffer perspective. The first thing the audio calculation does is zero-out the mic input. The only way the mic can get through is if CPU audio calculation falls completely behind and gets skipped by the system.

This was an early bug on the iPad 1 (slower hardware), but it's never happened for me on an iPad 2 or 3. Very odd.

Just received a note from Apple: 1.3.1 (retina graphics!) is about to go live. Smile
Horaflora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually noticed a preset that seems to act as a sort of vocoder, but always have trouble remembering which one (maybe it doesn't always act that way?) and how to enable the mic in order to use it as an input...

Speaking of, it would make sense to have the mic/input available as either/both a module or controller, seeing as nearly every other aspect of the iPad is utilized (I say nearly because the camera and the light sensor still aren't on the menu, any plans there?).

Incredibble tool, all around. Tops.
Bit Shape

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Horaflora wrote:
I actually noticed a preset that seems to act as a sort of vocoder, but always have trouble remembering which one (maybe it doesn't always act that way?) and how to enable the mic in order to use it as an input...

Right now there is no mic-input anywhere in the app.

Quote:
Speaking of, it would make sense to have the mic/input available as either/both a module or controller, seeing as nearly every other aspect of the iPad is utilized (I say nearly because the camera and the light sensor still aren't on the menu, any plans there?).

Audio / sample-based objects are coming. I will look into using the mic as an input / modulation source. And believe it or not, I have considered using the camera as a light-sensor. It's not at the top of the to-do list, but it is on there. Smile
RevolvingSheep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to update everyone, the app works great now. Apparently there was a setting stuck where the mic was left on. They reset the settings and now everything is great!

The new retina update is fantastic, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc » TC-11
Jump to: