electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
[New Module] seqSQUARED: The analogue pattern generator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: [New Module] seqSQUARED: The analogue pattern generator
Subject description: A programmable sequential switch, and other sequencer expansion goodies!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DEMO VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjJgNXJdSE

Manuals are now available for download!

Assembly Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_ASSEMBLYMANUAL.pdf

User Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_USERMANUAL.pdf

Howdy folks!

So, I feel it has been long enough along in the development that I can finally unveil my master plan for the next hexinverter.net module! (it will be available in DIY kit, Eurorack kit, and pre-assembled form!)

Essentially, seqSQUARED ("sequence sequencer!") is a voltage controlled sequential switch to expand a sequencer array with that works more like a creative musical device than most out there. My inspiration came from the way that most simple "pattern bank" software works -- load up a bank of patterns, and arrange a sequence of them to create a song.

It also just serves as a sequencer expander. It allows you to take multiple sequencers and chain them seamlessly into one big sequencer (ie: 4x8 steps = 32 steps, etc.)

Technical Features:

- Analogue pattern generation/sequencer arrangement + combining up to 8 steps long (with 4 sequencers as sources)
- Analogue-style user interface (NO deep menu editing, LCDs or rotary encoders)
- Standard CV/Gate output
- Built in voltage-controllable clock divider (thus, works with any sequencer of length 1 to 64)
- "Chaos" feature, which can add random probability that your sequence is altered on a step
- ~26HP eurorack kits and pre-built modules will be available (and perhaps other formats with panels? Not sure if Ben is doing these yet Smile )

More Detailed Description

I also wanted a product for people who have purchased more than one sympleSEQ to have an easy way to turn their array of sympleSEQs into one MUCH more functional sequencer!

What my device does is take up to 4 independent sequencers, and turn them into that pattern bank by multiplexing them. Effectively, it turns 4 equal length sequencers into one big, programmable sequencer that can be any combination of 8 of those 4 sequencers...ie: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 or...4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4...whatever!

It sports an analogue interface and programs much like any other step sequencer, so it will feel right at home in a modular setup, even though it uses a microcontroller.

It also sports a voltage controllable clock divider, and a feature I call "chaos", which simply introduces a percentage change that it will output a randomly selected sequencer's note on the next step.

As of right now, it is far along in the prototyping phase and pre-ordering will begin soon! (a few weeks). Ben at Re:Synthesis will be making custom Eurorack panels for me to supply with kits. His work is astounding if you haven't seen it already on sympleSEQ!

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them here. I take all feature suggestions seriously but a lot of stuff just simply cannot make it through, feel free to comment though!

I will keep this thread updated with progress.

Here are the beta PCBs!:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Here is a shot of the CAD renderings of the prototype boards:

Here is Ben's prototype panel layout!

Here are some terrible cell phone quality images of the final beta progress! Things are coming along nicely. Lots of work to be done still, but hardware and software debugging/finalizing are far along.

sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer

seqSQUARED -- the Analogue Pattern Generator
--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!

Last edited by HexInverter on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:12 am; edited 29 times in total
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Hex
ORSM concept yet again i already have a bunch of ideas on using this one
just one quick question
what are the footprints marked J1 to J14
on the control board ? I dont recognise them.
edit Surprisedh ok sorry i think i know. board mounted jacks yes ?
are they quarter inch jacks ?
edit: hmm would be nice if provision for 2.54 mm headers were there as well no biggie though !

as good an answer as any
diablojoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah also can you tell me the board dimensions please
just had a quick thought and wanted to check
if multiples will work out to fit into 19"

cheers

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
hey Hex
ORSM concept yet again i already have a bunch of ideas on using this one
just one quick question
what are the footprints marked J1 to J14
on the control board ? I dont recognise them.
edit Surprisedh ok sorry i think i know. board mounted jacks yes ?
are they quarter inch jacks ?
edit: hmm would be nice if provision for 2.54 mm headers were there as well no biggie though !

Hey Diablo.

The control board is designed for euro assembly, as I am hand assembling euro modules...sorry. You'll have to run flying wires for other formats Sad

They jacks (J1-14) are 1/8" PCB mount jacks.

It will be a tight squeeze to fit 2.54mm headers as well, but I can see if I can try Smile

--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
skylab76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brilliant! But of course this means I need more sequencers, too. Curse you Hex!! Laughing
diablojoy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It will be a tight squeeze to fit 2.54mm headers as well, but I can see if I can try

would be orsm if you can squeeze in the headers for the jacks
but i have a way round it if you cant
still would like the exact board dimensions
so i can work out if i can sneak more than one behind one of my large panels.

cheers

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
Quote:
It will be a tight squeeze to fit 2.54mm headers as well, but I can see if I can try

would be orsm if you can squeeze in the headers for the jacks
but i have a way round it if you cant
still would like the exact board dimensions
so i can work out if i can sneak more than one behind one of my large panels.

cheers

I am working on the headers Smile Hopefully they can all fit!

The PCB dimensions are looking to be around 111x129mm right now. They should stay that size, but may fluctuate a couple mm of course.

HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jack headers are go! Smile

diablojoy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Jack headers are go!

love your work !

Quote:
The PCB dimensions are looking to be around 111x129mm right now. They should stay that size, but may fluctuate a couple mm of course.

thanks for that
I hope to be able to sqeeze in 2 at least in 3RU wide panel with 1/4" jacks relocated to the bottom of the panel
[I run the 19" dimension vertically on my panels]

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is this!? Ben's preliminary panel layout is done! Sexy. 26HP wide Smile

adambee7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be up for a couple of boards and yes to the quantiser. Very Happy Very Happy
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Board orders are sent out! Very Happy

Final prototype will be assembled over the next month, then a video will be made fully demonstrating the module.

Indiegogo is being used for funding, once again. Prices are as follows:

hexinverter wrote:

Options + Prices

PCB Set w/ uC (with preprogrammed microcontroller): $35

Universal Kit (no jacks, knobs, power connectors or anything else eurorack specific): $70

Eurorack Kit (includes a 26HP professionally made panel by Re:Synthesis, and all electronics necessary to build your own eurorack module): $120

Eurorack Module (fully assembled and tested): $235

I have opened up funding if you are interested in helping "kick-start" this project. While I have no control over the time the prototype boards take to arrive, I can order components I know will be used regardless of the success of the final prototype earlier and save a lot of time if funds for them arrive earlier!

Here is a link to the funding campaign where you can secure a pre-order!

http://www.indiegogo.com/seqsquared

Last edited by HexInverter on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The internet memes called to me on this one...lol

HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: For a number of technical reasons, I have removed the Chaos CV input from the feature-set. It is still user controllable via the potentiometer on the panel. That is, the Chaos feature still exists -- it just doesn't have a CV input any longer. CVing it has pretty limited use if you ask me, anyway...it was either that or one of the other CVs disappears...so I'd rather have that go!

I think I will do a write up in the manual about how to mod it in yourself for the adventurous types, however!

The board order is out now, so no more significant hardware changes will be made!

HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am told the final beta PCBs should be here from the manufacturer in a little over a week. Nice!

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made my payment thumb up
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
Made my payment thumb up

Great to have you on board! Smile

I am quite excited for this project!

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you'll see an uptick in the number of orders once you get a demo video done. Right now I don't think it's 100% obvious to people who cool this is. Mr. Green
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
I think you'll see an uptick in the number of orders once you get a demo video done. Right now I don't think it's 100% obvious to people who cool this is. Mr. Green

Hehe, yeah, I definitely do not expect people to be totally into this without more media to go off of. I know that myself personally, I would want to contribute early as I am an anxious guy like that, so figured that if others felt that way too, it could definitely help push the launch date a little sooner, which is always a good thing!

There will be a fabulous demo video as soon as the boards are here and assembled. I have access to a professional camera, so expectations are quite high! Smile

diablojoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will definitely be in just still working out numbers Smile
as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
I will definitely be in just still working out numbers Smile

No worries man Smile No rush!

When you do figure out what you would like, shoot me a PM and I will make a custom listing on Indiegogo for it (to combine shipping/etc, and perhaps apply a discount for multiples!)

HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sympleSEQ users!!!...

I have just created a guide on how to convert your sympleSEQ to 5V levels for use with seqSQUARED (or other gear, for that matter!) Smile

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=sympleseq-5v-level-conversion

HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE!: The beta PCBs have arrived! (see images below). I will begin populating them and finishing the software now. Once that is done, a demo video will be made showing the modules use in a modular synthesizer. ETA for demo video: ~3 weeks, maybe less!

Here are the beta PCBs!:

HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are some terrible cell phone quality images of the final beta progress! Things are coming along nicely. Lots of work to be done still, but hardware and software debugging/finalizing are far along.

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thumb up Looking great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: