electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
introducing myself: nescivi
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nescivi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: introducing myself: nescivi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Kassen told me to take a look here and so here I am.

nescivi is the nickname I use on the net, my website is accordingly http://www.nescivi.de

I compose and perform experimental electronic music, with home-built sensor interfaces, a Clavia micro modular and SuperCollider running on Linux, and some lo-fi samplers (self-built too).
Occasionally I also use some other toys and tools, partly adapted to create more interesting sounds than they normally do.

next to all this, I am working on a Ph.D. about Wave Field Synthesis, which is a relatively new technique for spatialising sound.

uhm, yeah, I suppose that has to do for an introduction. More info can be found on my website.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome!

welcome

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You forgot to add "but I´m just a silly little girl".

:¬p

She is, you see.

;¬)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nescivi, welcome Glad to have you here.

Wave Field Synthesis is a great thing, but I've never had the opportunity to hear a demo. Crying or Very sad

I know it is extremely expensive to set up a platform, but I think someday it will be very common. People will look at stereo and 5.1 surround like we look at hand cranked wax cylindar players today. I think you are very smart getting a PH in this field.

If the people in that field would like a dedicated forum to discuss this stuff, I'd be very happy to set one up here on electro-music.com. This is something electro-musicians will sooner or later have to come to grips with.

We are gong to have a talk and demo on abiophonic sound at the electro-music 2005 conference in June. This is superb, but of course there is a very small sweet spot.

Anyhow, welcome aboard.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nescivi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

extremely expensive is relative...
I have made some software which is freely available (released under GNU/GPL) and you can run a small system from a regular PC. Then you need a soundcard, DA-convertors and a bunch of speakers.

Buying a complete system commercially is quite expensive, but building one together yourself can be done for a couple of 1000 dollars/euros.
This is still a lot of money, but not unthinkable. Getting an expensive synthesizer may cost more.

of course, it depends on how large you want the system to be...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How big is your system (number of channels)? Do you have a link to a site that explains how to build it? Can existing stereo files be used with it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nescivi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the TU we have at the moment 24 channels.
There is not really a site yet, where it is explained how to build up a system, but there is some info in the readme file to my program, and there are a couple of papers on the net with info.
(i should make a proper index of sites with info on WFS some time...).

What is important is that the DA-conversion is samplesynchronous between the channels, and that the speakers have the same characteristics (otherwise colour differences may become noticeable).

It is possible to playback stereo files on a WFS system; there are several techniques. You can either created two virtual points where your virtual speakers are, or you can use two plane waves coming in at two angles for left and right.
With most recordings this works allright.
I encountered some examples of electro-acoustic music where this doesn't work. These were pieces where a lot of work was put into small phase differences between the channels to create a very spatial stereo impression. Using either of the two techniques mentioned above, created a kind of flat impression.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nescivi wrote:

I encountered some examples of electro-acoustic music where this doesn't work. These were pieces where a lot of work was put into small phase differences between the channels to create a very spatial stereo impression. Using either of the two techniques mentioned above, created a kind of flat impression.

I kind of suspect trickery like that lies at the heart of the typical sound of commercial trance productions, there may be more recording like that then one might think at first.....

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: introducing myself: nescivi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nescivi wrote:
next to all this, I am working on a Ph.D. about Wave Field Synthesis, which is a relatively new technique for spatialising sound.

I remember your WFS demonstration in Delft very well, I was really impressed then by how convincing this sounds.

The sound objects really have a position in space with this system, no matter where you happen to be in that room.

Welcome !

Jan.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: