electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Scott bernardi PT2399 VC delay
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re. rebote: stick a vactrol between the 50k delay time pot and the 1k resistor that goes to pin 6 of the ic. do the same between the repetition pot and the 33k resistor and bob's your uncle.

this will expedite the process:
http://bridechamber.com/VC_Res_PCB.html

Sebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that will be easy. I was thinking using transistor like the circuit posted in this thread.
https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
brother303

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

thanks for reply.

The vactrol-idea sounds good! I think I´ll give it a try.

What type of vactrols should be used? Same as on Thomas White 292 lowpass-gate?

Cheers
Greg
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest something fast like a vtl5c3/2.
brother303

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

sneakthief wrote:
I suggest something fast like a vtl5c3/2.

That´s what I had in mind,thanks.

Btw. : The Bridechamber link is great!

Best regards
Greg
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got done perf boarding this circuit from Scott's original schem. Used a vtl5c1 and it works great! Thanks for the circuit Scott!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W17-Z0nMmx4

himijendrix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Feedback Problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there,

I built the Delay by using 221’s Layout. But the problem is, that there won’t be any Feedback, and the Delay time is very limited.
All I get is a single, short repeat.

Sound Sample:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37021051/delay%20sample.mp3

I checked every Resistor, found one where i soldered a 27k instead of 2.7k and fixed that.
The Wiring should be okay, too.

I replaced the Free Resistor by a 10k Trimmer and can slightly change the length of the Delay. The 100k Trimmer is used for setting the CV input, right?

If I connect the Mix Pot like it used to be in the old Layout I get some kind of Lo-Fi Feedback, which won’t stop. But the Feedback Poti still has no effect!

Any Ideas what’s wrong? As far as I understood several people where able to build it from 221’s Layout, So there shouldn’t be any Faults in the Schematic / Layout!?

And does any one here has the Old Layout/Schematic from Scott Bernardi? Because his website went offline, and i can't find it anywhere.

Hope for fixing this soon (It's part of a Yusynth Modular, and only two Modules are missing...)!

Thanks,
JE
Sebo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
Check that the BC560 is OK at the right top of the PCB (and notice that isn't a BC550 like the other one).
Also check that the LM3080 is OK (if you have another one swap it).

Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wilkommen!

The .pdf of the schematic is attached, and here's the text from the site;

Quote:
Voltage Controlled Echo/Delay

This module uses the PT2399 digital echo chip from Princeton Electronics. Small Bear Electronics has them for $3.95. The circuit is based on the Surround Sound/Delay example in the datasheet.

The delay time is variable from about 33mSec to 300mSec by varying a resistance. The datasheet specs a maximum 300mSec delay at 1% distortion, but I found I could go to about 2 seconds with acceptable results.

I implemented voltage control by using an LDR (yellow LED and CDS photoresistor) for the resistive element. A true vactrol could also be used. You want the resistance to vary from as low as possible (for short delays) up to about 100K. Some experimentation will have to be done with the driving current levels for the LED. Make sure the the LED - photoresistor assembly is in a light tight container, since ambient light will have an affect at the low light / high resistance / long delay end.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
Dave

echo_delay.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  echo_delay.pdf
 Filesize:  24.19 KB
 Downloaded:  4767 Time(s)

Sebo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just note that the schematic posted before uses a vactrol and isn't the one that matches the PCB posted at the begining of the thread.
If you look at middle of page 2 of this thread you will find the corresponding schematic posted by 211.

Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the clarification Sebo.

cheers,
Dave
(in archival mode today Wink )

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intersting thread. cant etch myself but good to read.
Last edited by Paradigm X on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
himijendrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay this week I spend some time with testing again, but i didn't find any faults. The BC560C is alright. Maybe the CA3080E is broken, but since it's very expensive i don't think that I'm going to buy another one.
It sounds like only the High Frequencies are affected by the Feedback!

This is the last module of a modular synth and maybe i just put a 1U Digital Delay inside and use the spare 1U for something else ... But before this i'll do a final testing session.

Greetings,
JE
Sebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try bypassing the VCA portion of the feedback path. Just use a pot to control the feedback directly (no CV). Just to see if the 3080 is the problem.
To do it get the signal at the Delayed Output, wire it to one extreme lug of a pot (50K - 100K), wire the other extreme lug to ground, and wire the middle lug to the second audio input of the filter.
If feedback works OK, you have to check everything in the feedback path again.

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed

nvm sorry

Last edited by Paradigm X on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
theres alos a simple looking version on hearn morley's site, although ive not tried it yet.

no vactrols which is nice

http://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/synth-diy-resources

Smile

I really don't know what you mean. The schematic at that site isn't simpler, just incomplete, as it lacks feedback, input adder, mix control, etc.
I think is an unfinished idea. It should work, but not a really useful circuit without the before mentioned parts (at least the feedback one).
Also the circuit posted in this thread didn't use a vactrol either.

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im sorry i got really confused Embarassed Sad
himijendrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Sebo!
I think I will have time to try this and to read through the schematic again next week. Than I will report about the Progress.
Sebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X:
It's OK, you don't need to delete the link, is a useful schematic to have as a reference.

JE:
Your welcome. Hope you find the problem.

befacosynth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone!

We have done a new layout for this design. It's in eurorack flavor and has a couple of changes from Bernardi's original design:

- Time range selector: you can get you delay into crackling-noisy-garbage area. Getting a few seconds delay plus digital crap galore!
- CV control for the mix.

In our site you can find schematic, pannel design, instructions and CAD files in case you want to give this a try. (sorry, only spanish FTM. will translate soon)

http://www.befaco.org/es/sinte-modular/crush-delay/

If you live close to Barcelona, Madrid or Berlin you can join one of our workshops and do it yourself!

Thanks a million to Mr. Bernardi for the first design and 211 for opening this thread!

befacosynth((at))gmail.com
LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!
Did etch a board for the bernardi delay, but this seems a bit more euro friendly, thanks!
roglok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

befacosynth wrote:
Hi everyone!

We have done a new layout for this design. It's in eurorack flavor and has a couple of changes from Bernardi's original design:

- Time range selector: you can get you delay into crackling-noisy-garbage area. Getting a few seconds delay plus digital crap galore!
- CV control for the mix.

In our site you can find schematic, pannel design, instructions and CAD files in case you want to give this a try. (sorry, only spanish FTM. will translate soon)

http://www.befaco.org/es/sinte-modular/crush-delay/

If you live close to Barcelona, Madrid or Berlin you can join one of our workshops and do it yourself!

Thanks a million to Mr. Bernardi for the first design and 211 for opening this thread!

very nice! are you (or anyone else) planning to do a small run? i would surely be in for a couple of PCBs! love
befacosynth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roglok wrote:

very nice! are you (or anyone else) planning to do a small run? i would surely be in for a couple of PCBs! love

In a couple of weeks we'll have a small run of kits. There are two PCBs, one for components and one for control (minijacks & vertical pots) and all needed parts.

For this first run we only will make the whole kit available for 80€ + shipping, not just PCBs. Sorry.

If you are interested in a kit drop us a mail to befacosynth@gmail.com

After this small run that is on the way we are planning a bigger order, and we might sell just PCBs. Maybe around christmas.

Thanks for the interest Very Happy

befacosynth((at))gmail.com
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creatorlars wrote:
Quote:
From the PCB? Where did you get that?

It was self-etched from the PCB layout in this thread.

I would like to build this too. Could someone direct me to the post in which the PCB layout is in, I can't find it... I can only see one with components already overlayed, I don't have any graphic editing software to delete the components.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: