electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer [PCB]
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 12 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
HexInverter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! Great to hear.

Mind if I use your schematic for an article on the sympleSEQ project page, Diablo? Smile (I might bastardize it a bit to make it fit the style of the other schematics, but I will include your credit on it of course!)

sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer

seqSQUARED -- the Analogue Pattern Generator
--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you can , anyone may use it however please note i have done no testing of this cct myself at all. I literally thought it up whilst driving on the freeway.
Matthias has brought up a very relevant point on the Muffwiggler forum
I dont know if it has been tested by anyone for that yet.

[still driving] denis

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have just added some new sympleSEQ DELUXE kits to my inventory for those that missed the first few runs!

They probably won't last long, so get 'em while they're hot!

These kits have the higher quality $3 a piece switches in them. They are very nice.

http://shop.hexinverter.net/product.php?id_product=14

--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm... ive got a couple of kits with the standard pots/switches, and a couple of bare pcbs... wondering if itll 'feel' weird to have different types in a quad. Maybe better to get four sets of the nice ones...

Could sell the original kit hardward possiby?

Lol, feels like im talking to you over several forums hex Laughing

Get paid soon so can order then quad panel colors

Nicely

Ben
HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paradigm X wrote:
hmm... ive got a couple of kits with the standard pots/switches, and a couple of bare pcbs... wondering if itll 'feel' weird to have different types in a quad. Maybe better to get four sets of the nice ones...

Could sell the original kit hardward possiby?

Lol, feels like im talking to you over several forums hex Laughing

Get paid soon so can order then quad panel :love:

Nicely

Ben

Well, the nicer switches have a bit of a different length toggle to them -- so it will be noticeably different. I'm sure it would be tolerable though!

Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ouch well its £92 (about 150$) for 32 of the posh switches from mouser UK vs $12 for teh futurlec ones (admittedly only 16 but still)...

guess ill order another 16 from futurlec

Cheers

Ben
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got the pots, switches, LEDs and all that stuff from 4 of the original boards that I don't want. I'm building mine with panel mounted everything, so I'd be willing to sell them at a cheap rate. As long as I cover the postage and packing material, I'd be willing to part with them.

PM me if you'd like them. (Haven't tested any of them.)

diablojoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a heads up, I am still working on a reset solution, note the first posted schematic definitely had issues, so dont use it.
I believe i understand where that went wrong
need to use a latch CD4043
instead of the first half of the flip flop to take the clock out of the equation
at that point as the Q output was going low at the first falling edge of the clock pulse it saw instead of only being affected by a high on the reset input.

as good an answer as any
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK finally cracked the reset circuit Very Happy
pause /hold is no longer involved
In the end it all had to do with the timing of the reset pulse
which had to be made to conform to the timing of the clock signal.

reset in will be from reset jack. reset out will go to any spare reset pad on sympleseq board , clock can be taken from any spare clock pad on sympleseq board.
will try and get a PNP board design up within the next few days.
as I need 9 circuits all up i will do a triple board and make them stackable
why nine i hear you ask ?
I need a reset all jack. As i have 8 sympleseq's and one 8 way dual sequential switch.
So for people using 4 sympleseq's and one of fonik's seq switches i would suggest making 2 boards for 5 circuits the extra unused circuit should be grounded just replace the 1M resistors with straps for that one circuit

edit : tested and works really well with dave kendals M2C module
reset from start output [10v trigger] used Cool Very Happy
also tested with fonik clock and a random reset from mfos noise module- gate output

TRIPLE RESET AND RUN STEP ONE.pdf
 Description:
updated 16/5/12
improved one shot timing cap values , added decoupling and component designators

Download
 Filename:  TRIPLE RESET AND RUN STEP ONE.pdf
 Filesize:  46.95 KB
 Downloaded:  1304 Time(s)

as good an answer as any
HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For anyone having trouble finding the Alpha pots:

Suitable replacement pots for sympleSEQ

(note that if using panels from Re:Synthesis, you will possibly have to drill out the pot holes to be larger):

Alps part no. RK09L1140A66 (RS Components stocks these)

Alps part no. RK09L1140A5P (RS Components stocks these)

Alps part no. RK09L1140A2U (RS Components stocks these)

Panasonic part no. EVU-F2MFL3B14

Panasonic part no. EVU-F2LFL3B53

I have these pots beside me, currently sitting happily in the sympleSEQ control board without any modifications. I can't speak for the shaft length though. Make sure you find the right knobs for 'em, or cut the shafts down if necessary Smile

saint gillis

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats for your reset& run step 1 its like a revolution!

I ve tried to run 2 symplseqs through a fonik sequential switch like mentionned before :

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/emdot_switch_concept_169.pdf
Same wiring but no 40106... the problem was that it only run 7 steps each time seq1: 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 seq2 : 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 etc etc

Have you noticed that, I mean is it normal or adding a 40106 would solve the pbm...?
HexInverter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

saint gillis wrote:
Congrats for your reset& run step 1 its like a revolution!

I ve tried to run 2 symplseqs through a fonik sequential switch like mentionned before :

Same wiring but no 40106... the problem was that it only run 7 steps each time seq1: 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 seq2 : 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 etc etc

Have you noticed that, I mean is it normal or adding a 40106 would solve the pbm...?

I honestly have not noticed it myself...though I might be accused of not playing with my own hardware enough! (no pun intended, lol)

Anyhow, I will definitely check this for you when I do another round of testing with sympleSEQ + seqSQUARED paired together.

Because seqSQUARED is a multiplexer, and it's always outputting something, it just passes the CV/Gate signals incoming from your sequencers through. So, there should be no reason that on a reset it does not output anything for the first step. As long as a voltage is arriving at the input of the switch at that moment of reset, there should still be something coming out of it!

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't actually tried that set up yet. I've got other monkies on my back right now. Might be a while before I try to tackle this one, too. All of diablojoy's work kind of scares me
saint gillis

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

emdot_ambient wrote:
All of diablojoy's work kind of scares me
lol
diablojoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
All of diablojoy's work kind of scares me

me too ....now
I just did a board count Laughing

seriously its all good just a lot of repeating of circuits Smile

as good an answer as any
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

info package for sympleseq64 build
quad external reset board [reset and run step 1]
delay board for sequential switch to avoid double stepping
simplified block diagram for the clocking , CV and reset architecture
that i used.
hope someone finds this useful.

SYMPLESEQ64 INFO.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SYMPLESEQ64 INFO.zip
 Filesize:  179.12 KB
 Downloaded:  1334 Time(s)

as good an answer as any
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You rock! try that tonight or tomorrow
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgy video as promised Laughing

http://youtu.be/od9W3pvz2x4

as good an answer as any
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ll check it a few hours I m on the road right now... Hey Diablojoy I was minding for the seqs going seq1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 then seq2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 then seq1 same thing again etc (with your reset and run step 1 circuit) through a sequential switch... Is there a chip that when you put a signal throught it, it let this signal go out the first time but blocks it the 2nd time, see what I mean ? Wink
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Is there a chip that when you put a signal throught it, it let this signal go out the first time but blocks it the 2nd time, see what I mean ?

not a single chip that i know of. you would need a bit of circuitry, but why do it that way? far better to use a divider for getting the sequencers to run through . I used a CGS09 voltage controlled divider but there are a lot of other divider circuits out there that would be good
if you use a divide by 8 to clock the sequential switch and send undivided clock to the i/o you will get each sequencer to step through its 8 steps before going to the next sequencer

as good an answer as any
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahah just saw your video, your crazy man my head is burning I dont understand everything Embarassed your sequencer is a beast!!! congrats
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes indeed, I ve done that with a novation bass station that can divide the clock by 8 (send a pulse each bar) unfortunately my moon modular midi 2clock cant do that...
The point is that I ve placed my 4 sequencers horizontaly (and you clever boy placed them vertically!)
So I d like to do that :
The problem is that the sequencers start at step 2 so I only got 7 steps each time...
And when I use the "reset and start step 1" circuit I got 2 resets at the beginning so it does : seq1:1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 seq2:1 seq1:1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 seq2:1 seq1:1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 etc.
That's why I was thinking of someting that would let go 1 reset and would stop the 2nd... is that silly? maybe there is a simpler solution... Embarassed
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

horizontal or vertical stepping from the start i did not care so much as i knew i would get both by using a voltage controlled divider but then that was why a reset all jack was so important to have . A way to get back to a point where there was some order
anyway back to this issue
i have looked at this only very very briefly but i believe you are the first to actually try emdots switch concept which is completely different from the architecture i used so probably doubtfull if much of anything i have done would be relevant
the second reset would naturally be coming from my reset circuit as it is waiting for the next clock pulse
without the reset circuit the sequencers are starting on step 2 because they have been reset but did not receive a clock pulse in the correct time to actually play step one
no promises but I will think on this some more

as good an answer as any
saint gillis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ve thought about all this, maybe the simplest solution would be Yusynth clock divider http://yusynth.net/Modular/index_fr.html
It is a triple, only a double could be enough, sending the first in the 2nd and the whole thing to drive the sequential switchs, I could chain the seqs playing from 1 to 8 steps, and from 1 to 8 times each sequencer... what do you think?
diablojoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the use of a divider to determine the sequential switching the way i have done it is obviously the direction i would recommend . It is proven to work
any divider should work i think equally well. if all you want is each sequencer to go through its 8 steps then you only need to divide by 8
which means the divider can be very simple indeed. I wanted more variation then that, I so went with a voltage controlled divider
The divider does not even need to be co-located if the sequential switches have an accessable clock in jack and even they could be seperate modules from the sequencers as well , it is modular after all
I dont know of a way to get emdots switch concept working correctly yet
for all instances. It probably could be done but it may possibly mean losing the external reset all. which for me is the most important feature.
happy to help where i can with any possible suggestions but not something i could do any real testing of personally now my panel wiring is all finished .

as good an answer as any
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 12 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: