electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project (Complete)
Page 1 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next

Do you want to buy a Waldorf Q voice expansion module
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Just Spectating
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

depsilon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject:  Waldorf Q/XT Voice Expansion clone project (Complete)
Subject description: XT and Q voice expansion shipping Now!!!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Status Update:

Thanks for all of the support and encouragement - After three Years this project is now complete!!!

We are shipping the XT and Q expansion now - They are tested and working $399 plus shipping, Limited QTY so act fast before we run out!!!

Here is the link -

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_product.html

Phase 4 of the XT and Q expansions complete Smile Shipping now!!!

I have found photos of rev1 and rev2 XT boards that are NOT expandable. Rev1 and Rev2 XTs are NOT expandable and do NOT have 2-rows of pins on the top side of the mainboard - Photos below. When XT owners originally sent their XTs in for voice upgrade service at Waldorf or an authorized service center, if your XT mainboard was Rev1 or Rev2, they upgraded your mainboard to Rev3 and added a Rev 1 expansion module. Then they migrated your old EEPROM with serial number to the upgraded XT mainboard.

The version of XT mainboard is shown after you finish booting the XT/XTk by pressing the Global (Utility) button (six clicks in) until you get to the system sub-menu. If the lower left of the display reads "Board #3" you can upgrade your XT. If it says "Board 1" or "Board 2" then the XT is not expandable. I hope people looking to upgrade their XT/XTk perform this basic check to avoid any disappointment. Also your XT/XTk must be updated to OS 2.29 (Or Newer) before connecting the expansion.

Unfortunately, there is no system menu that will display the verion of Mainboard/DSP contained in your Q. You will need to open your Q and read the DSP version off the parts on the mainboard of your Q to confirm if your Q will work with the Encore expansion.

Current Build Progress (Available now!!!) -

1- Confirmed 50-100 or more buyers (Completed)

2- A Q and XT synthesizer with expansion module to reverse engineer. (Provided)

3- Development lead time of about 3-4 months. (Shipping (XT) Shipping (Q))

4- Module price is $399 for XT and Q expansions. (Price is set)

You may provide your First Name, last initial and location to confirm if you are interested.

Also, if you know a Q or XT owner interested in a voice expansion, send them over to this post to throw in their 2 cents.

If anybody knows some other forums for Q users to get the word out on this please let me know where else to post - any suggestions are welcome.

PROTO.JPG
 Description:
Here is a prototype XT expansion.
 Filesize:  103.56 KB
 Viewed:  1022 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PROTO.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg
 Description:
Here is a Prototype Q expansion.
 Filesize:  144.09 KB
 Viewed:  1031 Time(s)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by depsilon on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 am; edited 48 times in total
depsilon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject:  Waldorf Q Voice Expansion clone project
Subject description: Status Place holder

In talking with the Waldorf Tech, the compatability chart is below:

The XT series (including XTk) all use Motorola 56303 voice DSP (But V1 and V2 XTs are NOT expandable).
The Q series is more complicated, the first run of Yellow Qs used a Motorola 56303 also.
This means only the oldest Q expansion modules with Motorola 56303 DSP and 24-bit wide memory footprint (6-chip DRAM) are compatible with V3 XT series and Early Q (56303) Mainboards.

The Motorola DSP was changed in later Yellow Qs to 56362. This is why the newer expansion (Q) will not work and will damage the 56303 mainboard of a Q or any XT/XTk (V3) mainboard.

The (Motorola 56362) expansion version will work in all 2.x and 3.x Q mainboards (including the micro Q).

Looks like we are forced to only have the option to provide expansion for the 56362 Q (Later models) only similar to the V3 (latest model) constraint on the XT. Sad

Encore Expansion Ver__XT_____Q
XT/XTk (V3)_________Yes____No
Q (Yellow V1-56303)___No____No
Q (Yellow V2-56362)___No____Yes
Q (Blue 56362)________No____Yes
Q (Halloween 56362)___No____Yes
Q (Phoenix 56362)_____No____Yes
Micro Q (56362)_______No____Yes*
*Hardware modification required

Don't worry about the Request and Donor lists being removed - they became un-necessary when we moved to phase 3.

Below are service notes we found for the micro Q expansion installation procedure. We are primarily focused on the Q and XT synthesizers for the expansion, but if you want to use the proposed Rev2 Expansion in a micro Q, it will require additional parts not included with the expansion we plan to make. We offer these notes as a courtesy but I imagine since soldering is involved, you may be on your own concerning warranty matters using this expansion in a micro Q. The prototype module does work with a microQ - more details about the parts need to be figured out.

vexp22.jpg
 Description:
This is an example of a V2.2 (Motorola 56362) Voice Expansion Module
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  1183 Time(s)

vexp22.jpg

vexp10.jpg
 Description:
This is an example of an older V1 (Motorola 56303) Voice Expansion Module
 Filesize:  80.77 KB
 Viewed:  1103 Time(s)

vexp10.jpg

DSC04044.jpg
 Description:
Page 1 of supplemental documentation for micro Q installation
 Filesize:  66.51 KB
 Viewed:  1011 Time(s)

DSC04044.jpg

DSC04045.jpg
 Description:
Page 2 of supplemental documentation for micro Q installation
 Filesize:  68.62 KB
 Viewed:  935 Time(s)

DSC04045.jpg

DSC04046.jpg
 Description:
Page 3 of supplemental documentation for micro Q installation
 Filesize:  66.37 KB
 Viewed:  974 Time(s)

DSC04046.jpg

Last edited by depsilon on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:11 am; edited 32 times in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Waldorf Q Voice Expansion clone project
Subject description: This post is the first step (demand willing) to clone the Q voice expansion module

depsilon wrote:
I have been looking for voice expansion modules for my Q-Rack, they are hard to find now and the Waldorf distributors are tapped out.

I found a company in the US called Encore Electronics that is willing to produce a lot of 50 or more of these units, but there are 2 requirements:

Encore made/makes clone expansion boards for the Nord Modular G1 & G2 synths- and they work quite well.

matmat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I am interested in voice expansion for Microwave XT (rev. 3 board).

All the best,
THE_ASKII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 for MWXT (#3 board)
namnibor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:  Interested in Microwave XT Voice Expansion Board
Subject description: I have Revision 2 with DELAY

I am interested as per request to notify, for a voice expansion board for my Microwave XT, revision 2 with Delay and dull "fuzzy" orange finish, NOT the Nextel glossy and bright. Would like to know if this would be a "plug and play" board or require soldering? I ALSO have a MicroQ, the bright screaming yellow rack unit, which I think would require soldering (not sure) if the 75 voice expansion ever really existed and could be cloned as well.
FYI--my XT serial # 920727192. My email is rinman4@columbus.rr.com to contact me directly. Just recently retired/disabled USAF Veteran, getting back to home studio set-up and because of my obvious "disconnect" from the real world for years, just came across the great forum and registered today. Thank you very much.
Robert
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the forum Robert!

Regards,
Doug

(Former USAF...)

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
selgart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Q that's been expanded to 32 voices. I also have an XTk for which I'd like to get an expansion board. I'll have to check the board versions of all of those, but if needed I'm open to (temporarily) donating my Q to the project as long as I could get some assurances that it won't be blown to smithereens. :-)

Seth E
New York City
depsilon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Way to step up Seth!!

- Thank You for volunteering.
Couple questions for you:

1- What color is your expanded Q? (pics?)

2- Your XTk did not come with the voice expansion?

3- What is the revision on your Q expansion module?

If all goes well, you should not need to worry - I am proceeding very cautiously on the beta testing side of things - the design engineers at Encore know what they are doing - they have done this kind of thing before for Clavia users.

If you change your mind, let us know. We can flip the switch once we have another 42+ user commits and Waldorf and Encore approval. Keep posted here for updates - and spread the word to our fellow Q and XT users Smile
selgart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

depsilon wrote:
Way to step up Seth!!

- Thank You for volunteering.
Couple questions for you:

1- What color is your expanded Q? (pics?)

2- Your XTk did not come with the voice expansion?

3- What is the revision on your Q expansion module?

If all goes well, you should not need to worry - I am proceeding very cautiously on the beta testing side of things - the design engineers at Encore know what they are doing - they have done this kind of thing before for Clavia users.

If you change your mind, let us know. We can flip the switch once we have another 42+ user commits and Waldorf and Encore approval. Keep posted here for updates - and spread the word to our fellow Q and XT users :)

1. Black. I realize everyone calls this the blue Q, but it looks black to me. Of course, you can certainly ignore that as I'm going to have my eyes tested for color vision later this year. :-)
A couple of photos here: http://www.boxoftextures.com/q/

2. No, the XTk is "only" a 10-voice model. I also have a 10-voice Shadow XT as well.
http://www.boxoftextures.com/xt/ (I no longer have the orange one.)

3. Well, I don't know. I struck out on both finding a way through the menus to tell me what the version is (of the expansion board, not the Q itself) and on figuring out how to open the synth to take a look. There's a video on how to open a blue Q but it's not for the one I have. Mine has the wooden ends and the video is for the "new old" Qs. I'd be more than happy for a hint on either method of finding out the expansion revision number.

The video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXDrluQ9QsE) shows the guy taking the ends off and then taking out a number of screws on the bottom of the Q. I have the same screws on the bottom but while taking them out loosened the top panel a little it was still locked down. The wood ends look to be attached with screws from the inside so I'm guessing you'd have to open the synth first before taking them off. Anyone know how to do it?
jojjelito

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a 10-voice matt orange XT (most likely rev 2) so I'd be very interested in a voice expansion. I'll have to check the version in the menu when I get back in town after the weekend to be sure.

Cheers!
Dougster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been doing a lot of traveling for work, but at some point in the future when things settle down, I may be able to help. I have an expanded blue Q, and an expanded Nextel orange XT. The Q came expanded, and I bought the last XT expansion card that was available here in the US at the time and installed it myself. Made me laugh how originally they wanted 100 bucks to install the XT expansion card. They told me it was a very complicated process. As I remember, I put in four standoffs and plugged it in. Heehee...! Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
ditabeardmemo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am interested in the voice expansion for the Microwave XT rack, revision 3 board. I'm located in Brooklyn, NY.
ugufru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Interested.
Subject description: Something that I am regarding the XT expansion clone.

I have a XT and XTk and would buy cards for either or both.

- Paul Cunningham, Pittsburgh
dukino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Interested.
Subject description: Something that I am regarding the XT expansion clone.

i am also very interested

i have one of the latest Q blue 16 voices

Andrea
namnibor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject:  SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subject description: Good G.A.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted share that I just scored a Micro Q with yes, 75 VOICE Expansion, version 2.18!!!!!!!!!!! Did not consider this off-topic due to the very nature and rarity of these things coming-up on ebay! FYI-same seller NOW has Microwave XT Rack in pristine, never rack mounted condition. What has been happening in last year, perhaps because of Waldorf's resurrection, is the prices of our "legacy hardware" are going nowhere but UP!
I would think that a savy investment venture would be for someone to purchase several of these proposed expansion boards for Q/XT because providing all goes through and all work as expected; these expansions would be money in the bank, akin to numbered prints if only say, 50 are produced...hint hint to venture capitalists! Smile
Doing Ren and Stimpy "happy Happy Joy Joy Dance this evening! I just hope my bumble bee yellow Micro Q plays nice with Big Blue MicroQ...yep, already named him! Anyone else do that? Always named my cars...

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
depsilon

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet deal namnibor!!!,

Can you post some pics of the expansion for the micro you got when you get some time? I could not find any on the internets. A look at the front and back could be very informative as to the differences in expansion across our legacy hardware. Still no word from Waldorf. I will ping them again.
namnibor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject:  MicroQ Expanded Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it has to ARRIVE via FEDEX next week yet...so will be a bit before I even take pics let alone open BIG BLUE up...but will indeed eventually. I am still keeping my bumble bee yellow MicroQ because actually, I now have 100 voices, technically!! Plus that bright yellow and blue face is one of the sexiest rack units above the XT and Supernova 1 above it...cannot WAIT to hear MULTI's with the 75 voice expansion!
Do not become impatient with Waldorf regarding reply about anything other than Blofeld because being still attentive to detail, am sure they are eventually going to give a thorough reply when they do. After all, it's their legacy and am SURE they are excited that there's such avid interest. Think about the FACT the new pulse 2 is advertised on their website as being BACKWARDS compatible with Pulse and Pulse Plus....telling me they still own the very "intellectual property" still and who KNOWS what they may have up their sleeves? Would LOVE to take a peek in the Waldorf R&D Dungeon to see what's ALIVE on their slabs for future release!Smile Seller is having a manual printed and bound for me, he also recently sold an XT and three Pulse's...another whom has gone the studio in the closet downsizing to only vsti...and I am happy to be a bottom-feeder in this dire economy.

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will the expansion be compatible with a Microwave II?
depsilon

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: compatible with a Microwave II? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check with Waldorf to be sure, but I think the DSP implementation on the Microwave II and the XT are different enough that there would need to be serious rework to make that happen. Plus I don't know if Waldorf ever sold any expansion Modules for the Microwave II or if the OS is designed for expansion.
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an XTk that I would love to get an expansion board for. It was my understanding that the Q and XT expansion boards were the same. Not sure what my board rev is cause the XTk is still in transit to me Wink

Note that I have a Q with a voice expansion already.
splitpoint

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a blue Q and would be interested in a voice expansion if they become available.
izzio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Waldorf Q Voice Expansion clone project
Subject description: This post is the first step (demand willing) to clone the Q voice expansion module

Hi all, i'm new here...
I'm searching for a Microwave XT (board rev 3) voice expansion!

shinichiroh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: I have Qrack 16voice and XT 10voice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
what a exciting project this is... I want to get this board both for my Q&XT strongly!!
Do you plan to ship to Japan?
Oli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like an expansion board.

I have an XT rack rev 2.

Oliver F, Australia

Page 1 of 3 [74 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: