electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Page 1 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
nathanxl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Subject description: No breadboards, perfboards or PCBs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im real new to DIY and Lunetta and Ive kind of stumbled on freeforming circuiits mainly because I only have a small breadboard to work with and no skillz of using perf or etching.
Today I built 2 40106 osc in freeform and was wondering if anyone here has done the same kind of thing with their lunetta. The results were quite aesthetically pleasing.
Still trying to work out how to up an image here but will try again later with pics of my creations.
Id like to see example of yours if you have them.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Subject description: No breadboards, perfboards or PCBs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome nathanxl

There are a couple of ways to use images ... you can attach image files to a post you make here, or you can upload the images on some server or image sharing site and then link to them using the PHPBB IMG tags (like [img]http://www.example.com/folder/image.jpg[/img] )

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats nostalgic Smile I used to free-form everything but not anymore, stripboard is so much easier. I've once seen a free-formed photo sensitive circuit mounted inside a light bulb so that would be a cool looking thing to do with a free formed circuit.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
nathanxl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome and tips for upping pics Blue Hell.

@ JingleJoe. If you have any pics of your freeformed circuits from yee olde days of yore Id love to see them.

Although not as easy as stripboard, freeforming is beautiful in a minimalist way, I like it and may make a complete unit with this method.
I too did see a circuit somewhere online inside a light globe, years ago, Ive been collecting blown globes ever since in hope to use them once I learned how to use a soldering iron.

That day is getting closer hopefully, Ive made my first Lunetta blocks!!!

2x 40601
3 Osc and 3 LFOs each.

I bought a bigger breadboard today and now have the Mighty 8bit Cipher Gate Sequencer build notes in hand! It looks mad. Check it out at :
http://www.sdiy.org/pinky/data/data.html
If this works Im gonna freeform that sucker too.

Id love to see everyone elses freeformed circuits!

IMG_3566.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  951 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  930 Time(s)

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB
 Viewed:  1098 Time(s)

IMG_3568.JPG

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was waiting for some photos to show up in this thread and now I am amazed. Those are really beautiful!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see a different approach. How do you intend to patch modules together? Small alligator leads? Also, check out Peter Vogel's work if you haven't done so already. You can see some here:

http://www.bitforms.com/peter-vogel.html#id=7&num=2

There was some discussion on this topic here too:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-88597.html
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are they SIL strips going along the edges of the IC?
If these are for interconnections, I'd recommend using machined pin SIL strips. Mainly for their reliability over time/insertions.
They also look really nice, especially the gold plated ones! Very Happy
I'm mainly posting here so I can get TRNs and check out everybody's "air wiring".
I've done a bit of this in the past, and incorporated into sculpture etc.
I've also done some very specky PCB mods and repairs using the skills learnt while doing these little solder constructions.
It's got a bit of a steam punk feel to it as well, which I really like. Reminds me of the wiring inside TV sets from the 50s and 60s, which were all discreet components, wired from tagstrip to tagstrip. Beautiful!! Surprised
It's amazing how quickly equipment from certain technological eras (10yrs each) are already being seen as different categories of "antique" craftsmanship.

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like!
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah I see... You have sockets there! I didn't notice them at first. Looks like you are in the process of making the smallest Lunetta ever! Shocked
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow !!
nathanxl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Very Happy , Thanks for the support and kind words, this really is a nice place. Will definately be taking this further with my Lunetta excursions. Be nice to use this place so anyone interested in Freeforming can find a lot of stuff in one place
Those links are great and that Peter Vogels work is fantastic, will definately look more into it, lots of stuff to learn from the master.
Also after some searching there is a contempary Vogels equivilant and his name is Phil Stearns... Great work too.
http://www.steim.org/projectblog/2007/09/27/aann-a-steim-residency-project-report-by-phil-stearns/

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Are they SIL strips going along the edges of the IC?
If these are for interconnections, I'd recommend using machined pin SIL strips. Mainly for their reliability over time/insertions.
They also look really nice, especially the gold plated ones! Very Happy
I'm mainly posting here so I can get TRNs and check out everybody's "air wiring".
I've done a bit of this in the past, and incorporated into sculpture etc.
I've also done some very specky PCB mods and repairs using the skills learnt while doing these little solder constructions.
It's got a bit of a steam punk feel to it as well, which I really like. Reminds me of the wiring inside TV sets from the 50s and 60s, which were all discreet components, wired from tagstrip to tagstrip. Beautiful!! Surprised
It's amazing how quickly equipment from certain technological eras (10yrs each) are already being seen as different categories of "antique" craftsmanship.

Thanks for the tip Uncle Krunkus, will search out some machined pin SIL strips. I would love to see some of your "air/space wiring", especially if you have been doing it for some time. Please post them up.[/url]
nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres that image JingleJoe mentioned and I was inspired by... Lovely idea.
http://kokeellisenelektroniikanseura.blogspot.com.au/2007/04/apc-space-wired-10.html

Koelse Light Bulb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.26 KB
 Viewed:  49067 Time(s)

Koelse Light Bulb.jpg

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work! And welcome Very Happy .
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job finding that picture and nice work so far. I'd have been much more 3-dimensional in my construction though; capacitors and resistors going everywhere like a drunken spiders web. Laughing
Nevertheless, I love what you are doing here and I'd like to hear/see some of these in a video of them being played Very Happy

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to mention this project by one of our fellow lunetta-ists drOffset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/droffset/sets/72157626026727877/with/5480928571/

and I recently found this on a blog somewhere, amazing!
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2012/04/audio-crystal-cmoy-freeform-headphone.html

noise
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great links tjookum!
nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes nice links indeed.
Jee that Olli Suorlahti from www.koelse.org does some really fun Lunetta Space Wiring stuff. A few pics on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anttia/260443746/in/pool-21667895@N00/

Oscillatorcubetree.jpg
 Description:
Oscillatorcubetree
 Filesize:  124.64 KB
 Viewed:  626 Time(s)

Oscillatorcubetree.jpg

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Nathan Surprised

A synth I built for DJ Wobblyman about 10 years ago was designed so the components and connections formed a skin/veins over a plastic head.
Once completed all the parts and wiring were painted with fluoro paint and the whole lot covered in silastic spikes. It looked incredible in clubs when the UVs were on, of course the eyes pulsed with the midi trigger.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

some from the late Mr Williams:

The-Art-and-Science-of-Analog-Circuit-Design-9780750670623.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.38 KB
 Viewed:  48847 Time(s)

The-Art-and-Science-of-Analog-Circuit-Design-9780750670623.jpg

williams-thermometer-sculpture-th.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.2 KB
 Viewed:  48848 Time(s)

williams-thermometer-sculpture-th.jpg

nathanxl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crazy stuff Andrew, wish I could hear how that plastic head sounds! Thanks.
I did not know of Mr Williams, what a guru! I may buy the book. BTW Your 8 Bit Cipher circuit is about to be made in freeform stylee.

Just discovered Ralf Schreiber. Solar powered Lunetta anyone?
http://www.mediamatic.net/96923/en/schmelzolan-prototype-picture-by-ralf-schreiber

Ralf Schreiber.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  852.85 KB
 Viewed:  557 Time(s)

Ralf Schreiber.png

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have moved along slowly with my Freeformed Lunetta but Ill post up the results of my progress for you to peruse. Ive learnt a lot recently.
Have used the machined SIP connectors as advised and although robust and stylish they clamp down a little too hard on the Breadboard jumper leads so Ive had to file them down a little or make up my own.
Im building an 8string Lunetta Guitar as a project to teach myself DIY electronics, Schematic reading, Boolean Logic and Modular Synthesis all at the same time.
This Lunetta Guitar will have the freeform modules laid out on a grounded Brass frame between each of the necks. I plan to stick to a 50mm x 50mm format for each module.
Here is a short vid of it in action with extra info if interested:
http://youtu.be/p1keI6NYp9U

Some pictures of the modules so far:

Lunetta Guitar Module Motor Driver.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  931 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module Motor Driver.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module 8Bit Cipher.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB
 Viewed:  1155 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module 8Bit Cipher.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO Bank .JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Viewed:  755 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO Bank .JPG

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They look wonderful Surprised I wonder what they sound like, can we get some sound clips? Smile

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks JJ
At the moment these modules are used to drive the plectrum motors for the 8string Lunetta Guitar. As they are they only sequence gates for motors and are not used to produce sounds themselves. Next step is to build sound modules that are controlled by the same 8Bit Cipher Gate Sequencer. Will put up sounds here when that eventuates.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Freakin,
Beautiful work man.
You are obviously bringing a lot of experience and craftsmanship to bare on this new hobby! Cool Very Happy

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet Cool Exclamation
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl those look amazing!
www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
Page 1 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: