electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Help - No sound from Andromeda
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Zhao

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Help - No sound from Andromeda Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First allow me to introduce myself as this is my first post Smile
Been sifting this forum recently in search of some help with this problem.
I've recently gotten into plugins and learning synthesis, but never had a real synth until now. A family friend had an old andromeda that wouldn't make any sound and offered to hand it over to me, because he's never been able to get it to work.
So, after searching for a few hours I haven't seen this problem anywhere else. I've hard and soft reset, and run all the diagnostics test with no problems. Everything appears to work perfectly except that no sound is put out. I'm running OS 01.40.09, and it was built in 2002. I was thinking about opening it up to have a look and see if I could identify any problems, but have limited knowledge of circuitry and whatnot. So, any suggestions?
I'll try to involve myself in this forum once my synth is up and working!
Your help is appreciated Smile
midirus

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First post as well :)

In the global menu, there is a "VOXMON" tab (soft button 8) where it monitors your andromeda's voices. When you press keys it should display a little X on top of the voice's number being used.

Also maybe your program sends sound on other outputs, did you check every output socket (headphone first) ?
Zhao

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks for the response!
I've been in the voxmon tab and every voice is set to on but, there's no plus as you describe. I had suspicions that it may be that keybed at fault here?
Also, I've plugged in to all outs with no luck.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you set the midi right : local on by example ?
maybe a midicable from out to in might help ?
the x in voxmon only displays when pressing a key, but certainly you might have thought of that already.
do you have a manual at hand??
page270 trouble shooting:
No sound:
Volume is turned down.
Raise the VOLUME pot, LEVEL pot or volume pedal if one is being used.
MIDI Volume on master controller is set to 0.
Check MIDI Volume level on master MIDI device.
Output has been switched to AUX or OFF.
Press OUTPUT switch on right side until MAIN LED is lit.
Set to MIDI (local keyboard off) mode in the Global menu.
Set to LOCAL or LOCMID on the GLOBAL/MIDI page, MODE parameter.
Voices are turned off.
Press GLOBAL, go to the VOXMON page, and turn the voices back on using the Mix Channel Select keys.[/color]

Last edited by sunny pedaal on Fri May 04, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhao

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure what you mean by midi "right," but midi is set to local. I tried the midi cable with no luck. And no x's are displayed when pressing keys so that might have something to do with it. I do have the manual and I looked in trouble shooting for what to do if there's no sound and it didn't help much unfortunately.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the keyboard sends midi-note-info to the synthesizerengine/ the voices.
as they don't play ( no X shows up in voxmonitor) it means they maybe don't get a midi-note-signal.
it can be due to a keyboard problem, or a cable not connected, or simply because the switch ( local on/off) has been set to off.
you can check this the way i descibed, or by connecting another synth to the midi-outport etc.
if you feel uncomfortable or too unexperienced, it might be a good idea to sent it for service repair, or see if you can find anyone with an a6 in your neighbourhood.
the a6 isn't exactly a beginnerssynth, many problems occur due to lack of knowledge instead of some hardwareproblem.
it could be al lot of things, probably/ hopefully nothing big, as it's strange that all16 voices don't do anything at all ( not even light up by means of the X)
Zhao

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've decided I'm going to open it up and have a look. I'm going to be very careful and not mess with much but, I've read elsewhere that sometimes ribbon cables just need to be reseated so I'm just gonna have a peek. If things don't work out, I've located a service shop (epr audio) nearby and they'll "diagnose" it for 60 bucks.. I'm not made of money so I'm trying to avoid this Smile

Edit: Just had a quick look and didn't see anything noticeably wrong with it, all ribbon cables were connected. Looks like I may have to take her into the shop..
midirus

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried sending notes with an external midi keyboard (connect the midi out of any other keyboard into the midi in of your andromeda) ?
Also make sure your andromeda is working on the right midi channel (global menu, keyboard panel, "midich" soft knob 5) and try them all while hitting key on your external keyboard...

Out of curiosity, could you take and post picture of what's inside the beast ?
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something like this ?
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=show+guts&t=5257

i also certainly first try with connecting another keyboard to see if the a6's keyboard is oke and/ or to see if the external keyboard can start the voices.
if both are oke then it's a midiquestion probably.
do that before going to some shop
Zhao

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well for pictures, I used this as a reference
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2132967-A6-Andromeda-Repair-Battery-Replacement-with-pics
Plenty of good pics there.

And unfortunately, the only midi keyboard I have is an oxygen v3, which is only midi over usb. I bought it a few years ago as a beginner and now I'm kicking myself for not looking into it more...
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no computer with a small midiinterface/ soundcard with midi ?
if so, download a program like "midi monitor", to get visual control over the mididata send en received.
interesting case this one...
Zhao

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just downloaded midi monitor, hooked the andromeda up through my interface and it appeared to read aftertouch but not note on. It read note on from my oxygen however. So my aftertouch works, but not the notes themselves?
Zhao

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just realized that I can still run midi in with my usb keyboard through the interface and live.. can't believe I didn't think of it before. So I did it and everything works great except the andy's keys. I plan on updating the OS later to see if that makes any difference and if not, I'm gonna have to take it into the shop I guess.

Sorry for the double post.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if it reads aftertouch but no note: either a cable is loose , or some midi setting in the a6 has been set not right.
luckily the a6voiceboard and other parts work.
Zhao

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured that a setting may be wrong as well but, I've done hard and soft resets, which I'm sure would correct that error. And I updated the OS, but it didn't fix the note on problem. I read a thread in here a couple pages back where somebody had a couple keys that sent aftertouch but no note. He had to replace a rubber pad contact or something like that which I'll see if the shop can help me with.
Zhao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those curious:
After waiting quite some time for the shop to have a look at it and finally get it back to me, they found that it's a problem with the digital main board. So, if anybody knows of a place where I could purchase one it would be much appreciated! The tech at the shop has called all of his contacts to no avail. Hopefully somebody knows where I can locate one Smile
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: