electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
[resolved] Bad midi sysex dump size
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
midirus

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: [resolved] Bad midi sysex dump size
Subject description: bcr midi interface didn't receive the whole dump
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

I want to store in my computer the program I make on hardware synths for later inclusion in my projects (DAW or hardware sequencer). The ultimate goal is to have the program linked to my projects and not worry any more about which program is supposed to synthesize which chords. I read the best way to do that is through a midi sysex dump. Alright so the test setup includes an A6 (os version: 01.40.12 build 4-12-2002) hooked up to a WinXP SP3 computer through a BCR midi I/O interface. After carefully reading the A6 manual I have midiOX able to send and receive midi events to and from the A6.

So far so good, I fired the "SysEx View and Scratchpad" on MIDI-OX, I clicked the "Sysex - Receive Manual Dump...". The A6 is in program mode, I pressed "store", "sysex" and "store" again. The midi dump happen but I received only 2344 bytes, but the manuals states that a program dump must be 2350 bytes long and the A6 said it was sending 2048 byte as sysex. (last bytes are all 00 except the very last one which is F7). And when I do the loading procedure, the A6 freeze at "please wait, receiving sysex data...", and the program gets corrupted (it freeze the A6 everytime it start playing a note).

Obviously I missed some bytes. The same goes for mix dump, mine are 1178 long while the documentation states it must be 1180 bytes! I tried different SYXDLY (7500, 15000 and over) without luck. By the way, this option is found under a secret menu accessible in global page: hit soft button 7, then maintain soft button 7 while pressing soft button 8 and voila! (There are other rather cryptic pannel like ASIC and a more useful one VNOTES which print the os release notes :)

Dear A6 users,
am I doing this correctly ?
how big are your sysex dump sizes ?
any reason why not going this way compared to leaving programs in the A6 memory and just send a program change from the sequencer ?

Also, in the end, I might want to do that with other hardware synths I have (such as the marvelous waldorf micro wave XT to name one), and I wonder how important is it to have a good midi interface with lots of I/O compared to a bunch of separated cheap usb midi interface dedicated to each piece of hardware. Though I don't think the dump size is related to the BCR interface.

Thanks you in advance :)

Last edited by midirus on Sat May 12, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't know on the moment how big the dumps should be, all i know is that a good midi interface is important, because in the past i repeatedly had problems with cheap ones and especially with sysex ( which in midiworld demand a lot of the miditransfer/system )
i use sysex librarian, but don't know if that also exists for pc..
midirus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the BCR was faulty no matter how I tweak the transfert. The fastrack pro usb midi interface worked as excepted, and for the record:

a program dump is 2350 bytes
and a mix dump is 1180 bytes
as stated in the user manual.

Also in pc world, midi-ox seems the only general purpose solution.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad it worked
the a6 stood her stand again.. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: