electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Motion Sensing Interface for Music
Page 4 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Ian, I guess i just got annoyed for some reason. I really didn't intend to make the guy so upset, I hope he cools off a bit.

Les

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aw, thanks, ian-s. Embarassed Lol.

I'm not upset, Inventor/Les. Just responding.
NoahHornberger

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Dub Cadet 3D MIDI controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I just wanted to share a MIDI controller I have been working on for over a year now. It's called the Dub Cadet: a spherical ball that tracks 3D rotation data from MEMs gyroscopes and generates improvised musical data. I'm offering kits to assemble for $82 and ready-to-play instruments for $118 via kickstarter.

Learn more: http://tiny.cc/DubCadet

I'm still working on how to market the thing, and improving features, innovating upon these discoveries etc; still looking to find the forward-thinking type of people who will "get" it. Like the audiocubes, there seems to be a grassroots movement of what I would call object-based musical controllers that are still gaining acceptability.

Anyway, there it is. I hope I'm posting in the right place! Feel free to let me know what you think here in the electro-music forums and have a wonderful day!
-Noah

Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! Smile If you're posting in this thread because it brings something new to the table in terms of expressibility, how many degrees of freedom does it have, and how many of those are continuous, and how many of those have decent resolution, and how long can you play it without calibration? You might want to take a look at my criticism of the Audiocubes on the first page.
NoahHornberger

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon wrote:
Hi! Smile If you're posting in this thread because it brings something new to the table in terms of expressibility, how many degrees of freedom does it have, and how many of those are continuous, and how many of those have decent resolution, and how long can you play it without calibration? You might want to take a look at my criticism of the Audiocubes on the first page.

Well how 'bout unlimited holographic possibilities that you can navigate:

I'm using the term 'holographic music' to mean multidimensional musical structures mapped to 3d surfaces to be decoded through rotational motion. Just as optical holograms modulate light based on the 3D viewing angle, we can modulate sounds based on the relative 3D orientation of an object.

I'm talking next level music. 10 years into the future of controller technology. It's about imagination, not limitation.

There are no limits to the degrees of freedom. Any way you turn the device triggers a chord based on your unique rotational motion. There is no calibration necessary, since it happens automatically as a part of the sound engine I built. Here is a ball that lets you explore every chord of your scale through rotation. Go have fun!
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By "chord" do you mean three notes, or four, or...?
NoahHornberger

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon wrote:
By "chord" do you mean three notes, or four, or...?

If you look at the images above, I am currently implementing triads. Here is a technical write-up:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Dub-Cadet-Holographic-MIDI-LED-Controller-for-A/
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, three degrees of freedom. No doubt it'd be fun motion controller, but I don't see why you're bringing it up in a thread about a 6+6+6 DoF controller.
NoahHornberger

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon wrote:
So, three degrees of freedom. No doubt it'd be fun motion controller, but I don't see why you're bringing it up in a thread about a 6+6+6 DoF controller.

The thread is called Motion Sensing Interface for Music

So yes, I posted absolutely in the WRONG PLACE and it doesn't bother me. In fact I make more mistakes than I make rights, but since I'm ok with that, its not a problem.

Ok, so music that is created by 6 degrees cannot play with music that you consider 3. It must be morally wrong to reduce musical controllers to the category of vibration and allow all things musical and motion activated to form spontaneous connections.

You totally win. Do you realize that my project is in development as in, I'm trying out sensors ever few weeks and discovering new things? It's all about pushing it into something great. Can you help me do that?

I fly like that because there are so many people sitting on there hands and not adding a bit of love with their words. Like if its not in the right slot on this multifaceted internet doohickey, Who cares? I'm sure the proper authorities can file it in the right place, and I'm counting on them to do so.

You can keep trying to sit on my creative cake, but I'll just go get another slice and not be effected at all by your lack of openness.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm just curious why you don't start your own thread. This is a thread specifically about the Razer Hydra motion controller (previously called Sixense as seen in the subtitle), not a sub-forum. (Maybe you were confused by the disproportionate length or view count.) Admittedly, we probably should have a motion control sub-forum. Wink

I wish you luck with your controller, but remember that making a new interface doesn't necessarily increase expressivity; hence why I asked about the degrees of freedom.
NoahHornberger

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Mormon wrote:
I'm not saying your idea is bad. I'm just curious why you don't start your own thread. This is a thread specifically about the Razer Hydra motion controller (previously called Sixense as seen in the subtitle), not a sub-forum. (Maybe you were confused by the disproportionate length or view count.) Admittedly, we probably should have a motion control sub-forum. Wink

I wish you luck with your controller, but remember that making a new interface doesn't necessarily increase expressivity; hence why I asked about the degrees of freedom.

Anything is possible when you start moving in the direction of your dreams . . . try it!
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been making progress recently with a simple 3D game I'm making, so I've gained some experience with vector rotation. My next goal is to be able to "calibrate" the controller. That is, let the controller take measurements at predefined orientations and calculate how to modify its orientation measurements to match its calibration as closely as possible. Then its orientation behavior won't be so weird, and I'll feel like I finally have a fully functional music controller.
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't given it much thought, but I'm not sure how to calibrate the orientations. The orientation data seem to depend on the position. Maybe my arm just isn't steady enough...
Mr. Mormon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The SDK was updated, so I updated the Hydra-OSC library. Joystick and trigger data are no longer limited to 256 values - they're floats (no idea how many values they can take on - I didn't test).

Perhaps more importantly, I added a link in the readme to an interesting thread in Sixense's forums about the position-orientation coupling. There's a modified version of the SDK available with some internal code removed, specifically an attempt by Sixense to fix said coupling. There's also some data in the thread that someone gathered that shows how the measured spacial coordinates are warped for a fixed orientation. I sure hope Sixense or its community can sort out the needed data correction...

EDIT: By the way, I don't plan on doing anything else with the Hydra any time soon, since I managed to get a Continuum Fingerboard.
Page 4 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MIDI Controllers and Interfaces
Jump to: