electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Let's see your Lunetta!
Page 17 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a video of my lunetta using a couple of ics. Believe it or not, I did not use my pitch tracker module at the end of the chain Laughing ! I'm just thinking out loud in my videos half the time; trying to envision a small battery operated unit that I can carry with me more easily than the great whale sitting in my Mancave.

Anyway, hope the video interests someone on some level to keep plugging forward.

kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new one:

The schematic is a little bit messy...

ring.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  641.52 KB
 Viewed:  531 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ring.JPG

dougseidel

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's a great box and a cool design.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kaputtpanzer, thats great Very Happy At first I thought "you don't need to connect/disconnect the power pin of a 4093 to turn the oscillators on and off, just use the unused gate inputs!" but now I see it's doing much more! The capacitors add a power reserve which slowly discharges through the device, giving you that "beeewww" sound Smile Very nice indeed.

Oh, and also, Draal, if you want some possibly inspiring material for your portable lunettas, give me a shout Wink I've made something like that.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kaputtpanzer wrote:
My new one:
The schematic is a little bit messy...

Quite a percussive little beastie! Nice variety of sounds for few controls.

I like the coloured-in chips on the schematic! Pretty!

James
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been behind in checking up on this topic. Some really fantastic looking and sounding stuff. Lot's of creativity here. Congrats to all who have posted. Keep 'em comin'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally finished.

The modules are (from left to right) 40106 Oscillators, 4040 Divisions, 4077 & 4011 Gates, Wave Shaper, Pitch Tracker, Sequencer, Mixer.

I hope to post some recordings of it in the future.

My Lunetta.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.67 MB
 Viewed:  396 Time(s)

My Lunetta.JPG

sndbyte

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice looking machine!

Did you have any trouble with the banana jacks? The cheap ones I used would become loose so I ended up using 2 nuts on each then adding some thread locker to keep them secure.
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool looking machine, attdestroyers! Should be able to make some sweet sounds with that set up. Cool

Always nice seeing new stuff being made Twisted Evil

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sndbyte wrote:
Very nice looking machine!

Did you have any trouble with the banana jacks? The cheap ones I used would become loose so I ended up using 2 nuts on each then adding some thread locker to keep them secure.

I had that problem too, but I got some of these: http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/4mm-Test-Socket-Solder-Termination-Red-17-2893
Bloody brilliant quality! Machined socket, metal screw thread, they are the good stuff! Wink I'm never buying any banana sockets without a metal screw thread again.

attdestroyers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys, no trouble with the banana jacks yet. They do have metal screw threads and I think I got them really tight. Thread locker is a great idea though.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beauty! That's a great looking box!

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

attdestroyers wrote:
Finally finished.

Looks beautiful. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Draal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just about done with my mini lunetta aka "Gimli". Here's a Father's Day Jam for all the Pops out there.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That thing sounds amazing O_O how did you acheive those gritty, sort-of kick drum sounds?

Draal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
That thing sounds amazing O_O how did you acheive those gritty, sort-of kick drum sounds?

Thanks for looking Very Happy

I had a root canal today so I'm a bit loosy goosy in the thinking dept. but I'll give some estimation as to the sounds. I think the secret weapon is the 4046 as Pitch Tracker , but I'll explain this setup. The patch:

2 oscillators are the Data and Clock inputs of the 4094 shift register. I use a bit of trial and error in selecting 3 of the 4094's outs to use as controllers for the AB and C inputs of the 4512 data selector. As we've discussed briefly before in another post, any 8 channel or dual 4 channel multiplexor could work as well.

I use a 3rd oscillator to clock the 4040; 8 outs from there are connected to the Data Inputs of the 4512. A fairly fast clocking will get better octave ranges.

The output of the 4512 connects to my pitch tracker and then out to my passive mixer.

As to the 4046: I have switches to choose the caps at 2 points in the circuit (I need to post that pitch tracker scheme here; sloppily done or not Laughing ). In the clip I don't switch anything but the caps on my oscillators from fast to slow ones. At fast speeds, I can get pretty wild sheets of sound and at slower speeds, I can get more melodious.

So to answer your drum sounds question: the beat is created by my patching of the 4512 and the drum sounds (crude as they may be) come from the pitch tracker's attempts at tracking these beats. I have used this tracker for laser sounds but there is a wealth of more subtle settings to experiment with.

Heck, I'm waiting for my shipment of more 4046's this week Twisted Evil

Draal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 4046 schematic again for those just tuning in:

Note: You do not need the 4049 portion of this. Just run your input jack to pin 14 of the 4046 (don't forget the 100k pulldown resistor).

4046 pitchtrack2.png
 Description:
The caps can be placed on switches to alter the frequency range or tracking speeds.
 Filesize:  77.24 KB
 Viewed:  309 Time(s)

4046 pitchtrack2.png

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the good explanation Very Happy I think the 4046 pitch tracker is the key!
Draal wrote:

As to the 4046: I have switches to choose the caps at 2 points in the circuit (I need to post that pitch tracker scheme here; sloppily done or not Laughing ).

This device is so good it deserves it's own thread! Did you start one already?
Quote:

Heck, I'm waiting for my shipment of more 4046's this week Twisted Evil

I look forwards to seeing the results Wink I bought 3 a while ago with plans to make ye olde pitche trackere and a frequency multiplier, but I have college work to do now Neutral

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I had already posted this here but I finally finished rehousing my lunetta in a more practical form. A big portion of what you see is the same board I started with in the absolute beginners thread.

Believe it or not, but this is actually the packaging for some high end watch someone gave me:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Fitting the boards:

Added a speaker and power supply, it also runs off a 9v battery so you can use it anywhere:

And here is the (so far) finished machine:
The dimensions of the boards is 16x18cm, and the closed unit is 20x20x15cm.

And a video
http://youtu.be/2yw704ZzI30

I'll try to do a more indepth video soon.

noise
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great tjookum! I can't see videos for two more weeks (bandwidth is expensive now) but I bet all those blink LEDs are awesome!

Les

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's beautiful tjookum Very Happy
and what a nice lightshow Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a quick vid of my newest lunetta; I call him Pipboy and he provides a few extra ics for patching. 4078 8 input NOR gate, 4072 4 input OR gate,
4031 brought out to the panel (not as tap looper), two sets of dividers (4040 and 4020), and a 4029 up/down counter.

The 4029 has a 4017's outs patched into its Jam inputs.

Here's my lunetta collection slowly growing:

lunetfam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.74 KB
 Viewed:  208 Time(s)

lunetfam.jpg

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my baby brother likes the sounds it makes Very Happy

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
my baby brother likes the sounds it makes Very Happy

*bobs head with JingleBaby* cheers

dougseidel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal - really nice music coming out of there. Plus, it's good for your kids!
Page 17 of 22 [526 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: