electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Sourcing trimpots
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
drakfluga

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Sourcing trimpots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

Where did you find your trimpots? I want to build a couple of LFO:s (one of each type) and they require a few trimmers. I've been unable to find any 10 turn 47K trimmers whatsoever, and most other ones I find have the wrong pinout. I expect it'd be fine to just bend the leads a bit and fit them anyway, but I'd like to come at least as close as possible.

Also, the trimmers I find seem quite expensive, at around €2-3 per.

The closest ones I could find to the LFO specs are these:
http://se.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1141448

http://se.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1141450

They are 15 turn, which I suppose is fine, and 50k instead of 47k. Will these do? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Cheers!
marfoski

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recommend you this vendor:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/cermet-potentiometers/3296w.html

They are cheap and deliver very fast, too. Hope this helps.
drakfluga

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one! Is it acceptable to replace 47k trims with 50k ones then? It should just increase the available adjustment range slightly, right?

marfoski wrote:
I recommend you this vendor:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/cermet-potentiometers/3296w.html

They are cheap and deliver very fast, too. Hope this helps.
marfoski

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I am going to build myself two LFOs with those 50k trimmers. I think they will work fine, given that they have 25 turns of resolution and the difference is slight. But the last word belongs to Yves, of course.
iopop3

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since you're a fellow Swede I have to recommend electrokit. The 3266Y / 3296W pinout is what you need, i.e. three pins in row. But I have made successful orders from tayda and musikding.de as well.

Its all OK to use a 47k instead of 50k. Most of these trimmers have a tolerance of +/-10% or worser.
drakfluga

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iopop3 wrote:
Since you're a fellow Swede I have to recommend electrokit. The 3266Y / 3296W pinout is what you need, i.e. three pins in row. But I have made successful orders from tayda and musikding.de as well.

Its all OK to use a 47k instead of 50k. Most of these trimmers have a tolerance of +/-10% or worser.

Thanks for info + link! One more webshop to look through. Trying to find one place to source as much as possible from which is cheap and well stocked, but so far I've had bad luck finding any one site who carries more than half of the components I need.

What sort of shipping costs are we talking about from Tayda btw? And can I expect any trouble from Swedish customs, i.e. tariffs or taxes? I'm guessing my order won't be more than a few hundred grams in weight; it's mostly small components like trannies, trimmers, caps and a few IC:s.
regularjackson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drakfluga wrote:
iopop3 wrote:

Thanks for info + link! One more webshop to look through. Trying to find one place to source as much as possible from which is cheap and well stocked, but so far I've had bad luck finding any one site who carries more than half of the components I need.

What sort of shipping costs are we talking about from Tayda btw? And can I expect any trouble from Swedish customs, i.e. tariffs or taxes? I'm guessing my order won't be more than a few hundred grams in weight; it's mostly small components like trannies, trimmers, caps and a few IC:s.

Tayda's shipping is very cheap, it's usually only a few dollars to get a fair bit of stuff shipped to Canada.
iopop3

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drakfluga, the shipping costs are neglectable. As long as you're under 300SEK in value you're safe from tax and vat.

Good luck in finding a "shop-all-at-once" place, I usually shop from mouser, musikding, electrokit, tayda and a few others depending on mood/need. If you want to stock up on a bread and butter components like resistors, capacitors etc make sure to check out the surplus sales from bde.se .
marfoski

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... and there's always the old dear Futurlec that has the best ratio price/assortment. The only drawback it's that you have to be a zen monk to bear a delivery time of up to two months!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: