electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Ipad to midi
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hegeldas

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ipad to midi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I ve just buy an ipad for lemur, and i would like to have some advice on the way to connect ipad to standards midi device, wich system do you prefer? is there a way to use blutooth to send osc to computer and us it in that way? or is it necessary to buy an additional translator?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel
cbm

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can connect over WiFi, but the latency is pretty high. The best way, IMO, is to use MIDI. The best interface for the iPad I've found is the iConnectMIDI box. It's pricey, but it's well worth it.

The cheaper route is to get the Apple Camera Connection Kit, and a simple USB class-compliant MIDI interface.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iConnectMidi looks nice! It seems it can be used not just for iStuff but also if you want to connect a USB Midi device to a 5-pin DIN MIDI device, if I read correctly.

I'm curious about the mini-USB ports though, as my iPad cable doesn't have a mini-USB at the end. Do I need to find a special cable or adaptor somewhere to connect the iPad to iConnectMidi?

/Stefan

cbm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One micro-USB to iOS Dock cable is included w/ iConnectMIDI, and they sell spares.

Yes, it can take a class-complient USB device, and spit it out over MIDI with no computer involved.

It also allows you to drive MIDI from any combination of inputs. I use my iPad and my laptop at the same time to drive my modular synth.

In practice it works really well. My only disappointment w/ iConnectMIDI is that it doesn't charge iOS devices when they're plugged in.

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the Alesis iODOCK. I like it pretty much.There are things it has that the iconnectmidi doesn't (audio in/out including mic w/phantom power,headphone out w/volume control,video out,and it charges the device) and things the iconnect has that the iODOCK doesn't (2 usb,2 midi)

http://www.alesis.com/iodock

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
hegeldas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Iodock from alesis could be very nice, a good all in one solution,

But no way to use bluetooth or wifi, is it really so delayed?

Thanks for all your answer
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, in my setup, while developing a Lemur project, I have my hardware that I am going to control with Lemur connected to an inexpensive midi interface and a Camera connection Kit. The iPad connects to the Lemur editor via Wifi.

Depending on how responsive you need the controlled device/app to be, I suppose you could do it via wifi, but for things like using Lemur as a keyboard I would think that you could run into latency issues....

Last edited by DES on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
hegeldas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok,

So i think to buy alesis iodock, someone could tell me if there is no problem to connect the last ipad, a little bit thicker than the ipad 2, do you see that:?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2012-behringer-istudio-ipad-docking-station-525991
cbm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hegeldas wrote:
So i think to buy alesis iodock, someone could tell me if there is no problem to connect the last ipad, a little bit thicker than the ipad 2, do you see that:?

There's some discussion about that here:
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/alesis_io_dock_and_ipad3

Quote:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2012-behringer-istudio-ipad-docking-station-525991

I think that the Behringer dock was cancelled. It disappeared from their website.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the CCK (nice to have a SD card reader too) and used my old Edirol UM-1SX adaptor. It works fine. One drawback is the lack of mains power in this configuration. But it works great and didn't cost much.

Home,My Studio,and another view
ejr27233

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to get wired midi from ipad to my PC without success. This was using a cheap ebay usb/midi interface plugged into the camera adaptor and various midi /usb on the pc. The problem was hanging notes. When I googled it someone said the problem is the ipad cant power the usb /midi interface reliably (even when its run through a hub plugged into the mains ...which I had tried)

I was all set to buy an IRig midi interface when I tried a wireless link for about the 10th time (Dell PC's dont like iPads)
By setting up an ad hoc network with no security and using rtpMIDI on the PC I've now got a working system with very low latency. .... Lets hope its still working today.....
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which app were you using and what was the midi destination? Any chance you were getting a loop-back into the iPad?

I've heard that the iPad should not be nearly discharged or it will act up. I try to use mine when it's at 50% or better and so far have had no problems with it running a $9.00 interface I bought thru Amazon. You do need to make sure the CCK is plugged in and doesn't move once your connection is established. I also have run a Presonus Audiobox USB using a powered hub and have had no issues.

Also, what version iPad?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently got hold of IK Multimedia's iRig MIDI, which is excellent, and also includes that very important external PSU input, meaning your iOS device gets charged while you play. Smile
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:
In practice it works really well. My only disappointment w/ iConnectMIDI is that it doesn't charge iOS devices when they're plugged in.

I asked the iConnect folks whether they were planning on doing anything about this problem and they said that one of their customers has reported that this device works with iConnect.
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the Alesis IO Dock with an iPad 2, works fine so far. I wanted the iPad to behave like just another instrument in the stack and all of the ins and outs let it do that.

Make sure you get something with inputs and outputs. There are all sorts of apps that allow you to process external sounds.

Randy
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: