electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
lunetta sound samples
Page 12 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

garcho wrote:
Bravo!
Have you tried recording it and slowing it down? I heard a radio show a long time ago about recording bird songs; if you slow them down, new intricate melodies appear that would normally go by too fast for us humans to perceive. That was something that popped into my head right away, FWIW.

I second this notion, slow it down for great justice Very Happy
This is allways the case with my latest invention: the lumelodyertron MK4, if you think you have one melody, slow down the clock and a new one is formed out of the high frequency bits.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have slowed it down. I often try both extremes. I didn't want to hog this thread, so I didn't post it, but since folks are asking, here is basically the same patch as "birdlike", but with slower clocks. Of course since the machine was turned off then on again, the pseudo-random generators produced different patterns...

Oh yeah, often if you slow down real audio recordings of birds, they sound like whales. Or you can make whales sound like birds by speeding up.
garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! Sounds like Bach on 8 bit acid.
I made a whale voice Lunetta which sounded very much like a bird when the knobs are right.
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/mouth_machine_143.mp3

RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I remember that one. A lot of nice voice-like and whale-like sounds. Gotta go jam with some real whales, teach them a new song!
garcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! It's an honor that anyone here would listen to my hacking.

I really like how your Big Birdy sounds slowed down. The warble-ly-ness is great! It's almost like an old tape or warped record. I think the more affected and random the timbral nuances are, the more human/organic/instrument-like Lunettas become. You know how it is; nature, chaos, chance, and what-have-you can be more interesting or musical, for lack of better terms, than sterile and simple. Part of LO-FI's appeal. Maybe that's why there's sentimentality for 4-track cassette recorders. I miss mine, but still never bother to pull it out and use it. I should turn it into a Lunetta control board or something. With 4-track tape delay! Twisted Evil Thinking with my fingers, sorry.

You mentioned 'pseudo random'. Any hints or tips on how to achieve that or where I should look for information, search terms, etc.? How do ICs (like CD40xx) mimic randomness?

RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

garcho wrote:
I think the more affected and random the timbral nuances are, the more human/organic/instrument-like Lunettas become.

Probably... pure square waves certainly don't sound voice-like or organic... gotta mess them up somehow.

garcho wrote:
You mentioned 'pseudo random'. Any hints or tips on how to achieve that or where I should look for information, search terms, etc.? How do ICs (like CD40xx) mimic randomness?

Well, I have 2 circuits I found in books to generate 4 bits randomly. Both use 2 CMOS chips. One needs just one clock signal, the other needs 2 or 3. It is beyond my understanding how they actually work, but I use them all the time.

The 1-clock one uses a 4006 shift register and a 4077 XNOR. I posted the schematic for it in this thread, because it's a little problematic: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-46472.html , therein are some other related circuits.

The other circuit is based on a 40174 D-Flip-Flop & 4070 XOR, but I'm not sure where I got it from. I think it's standard CMOS cookbook stuff. I guess I could post it if there's a demand.

Other ways are to use multiplexers... like the famous 4017/4051 "Melody generator"... http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42552.html
garcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks!
RingMad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK ok, it's me yet again another time. I've been meaning to put things up on my soundcloud account for months, and finally did it, going through recordings made almost a year ago, catching up to the present time. Now I can start posting stuff as I explore new patches and circuits.

Presently I have 20 snippets (i.e. approximately 1-minute long) of various CMOS/Lunetta patches up there.
- Each has an image for the "artwork" from spectrograms (with different parameters) of the sounds themselves as viewed by Sonic Visualiser (a great free program).
- Each has a name chosen amongst hundreds generated by a Python program that uses Markov chains.

It's over here: http://soundcloud.com/jamesschid

Many thanks to the members of this forum for inspiration, ideas, circuits and help. The classic "I couldn't have done it without you" line applies. Electronics can be very frustrating and one can often ask "why the heck am I doing this?", so forums like these help one to continue on... even though that last question hasn't been answered!

James/RingMad
jcintheus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After a bit of a break , I've finally got around to recording something new.

This uses a 4094 8-stage register into an 8-bit r2r
into to 4046 type VCOs, each into thier own mixer channel.

An XOR chain feeding noise to an LDR, gated by a 4089 "multiplier".
ABCD on the 4089 are controlled by toggle switches, for different rhythms.

Also, a 40106 at low audio frequency, is being gated by a 4516 counter
via another LDR.

To record I "played" the mixer. Into Ableton with a distorted/wah-wah guitar plug-in. (Guitar Hero) I changed the LFO on the plug-in from sine to random step.

http://soundcloud.com/bill-chavez/4000-fed
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice when ya get time to record AND edit Smile

Draal

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A "live" track recorded directly to my Ipad via Soundcloud App. Lo fi and grungy - no sh!T Smile . And yes, the li' one has to be with me everywhere; he's already plugging banana cables into the lunetta. Shocked

I'm using an auto wah pedal to filter the output. I find that filter pedals work great in altering the sounds from these machines without the troubleshooting involved in diy vcf's. If ya got time to build em' great, I sure don't.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a moment I thought it was going to be a remix of this music Laughing (it's called "THEM!" as well) but yours was good too Draal Wink Carry on the good work.

Draal

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to mention the patch. I'm running 2 oscillators into the 4094 shift register. I take a few of the 4094 outs and add them to the inputs of the 4051. The AB and C of the 4051 are separate oscillators for A and B and one of the outs of the 4094 controls C.

I also added an oscillator or two into the 4051's inputs so I can have a little bit of control over some pitch. Then out to the mixer. Effect pedals such as auto wah's or reverb/delay add heaps of tonal options. Try them on a patch that lacks a little life and you might find a hidden bit to record/shape a tune with.

Draal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A track from my mini lunetta. A 4052 has its A and B controllers "controlled" by 2 oscillators. A third oscillator controls the 4040 which provides 4 "octaves" for the 4052's data inputs.

And yes it goes through the pitch tracker before output to my amp.

Draal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Double post deleted.

Last edited by Draal on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikmo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the stuff that grunts at me around 3:30
RingMad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some pretty cool sounds and rhythms in that one, Draal!

-- James.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
I took my own advice and recorded a patch to share.

The timings on this are influenced by the VCO frequencies - which in turn influence the VCO's.
Modules used are an R/2R, 4017/4051 Melody Gen, 8 bit shift registers (2), 4094, 40106 VCO's (2) and a 555 VCO.
Passive portamento provided by a capacitor in a breadboarded experiment (inactive) I had patched into one of the VCO's.

bruce

Just heard this on the streaming radio--wild and crazy. Nice!!!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Light control + lunetta + filter

photo filter mk2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  photo filter mk2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.42 MB
 Downloaded:  3012 Time(s)

jcintheus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fun with the 4046 pitch tracker. I'm using Drall's schematic: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51275.html
Except I've inserted a divider on pins 3 and 4.
For this recording I used the 4522 melody gen: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50516.html
I substituted 4526's for the 4522's and controlled them with a 4015.
Also I applied CV to the unused lug of the 1meg pot from Drall's schem.
The CV was generated from 8 shift registers and 7 specific resistors.

This is edited from three different takes. The only effect is some reverb from about halfway through.

I forgot to mention, I'm using the melody generator as the divider.
RingMad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jcintheus wrote:
Fun with the 4046 pitch tracker. [...]

Nice piece! Tuneful noise.

James.
Draal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jcintheus wrote:
Fun with the 4046 pitch tracker. I'm using Drall's schematic: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51275.html
Except I've inserted a divider on pins 3 and 4.
For this recording I used the 4522 melody gen: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-50516.html
I substituted 4526's for the 4522's and controlled them with a 4015.
Also I applied CV to the unused lug of the 1meg pot from Drall's schem.
The CV was generated from 8 shift registers and 7 specific resistors.

This is edited from three different takes. The only effect is some reverb from about halfway through.

I forgot to mention, I'm using the melody generator as the divider.

Great track Cool ! The pitch tracker makes things a bit more organic (an oxymoron/some kind a moron perhaps). I love my Animoog on my Ipad and I think the 4046 as pitch tracker allows for some of that fluidity, granted in a lo fi way.

I need to incorporate some of your mods the next time I'm "under the hood" of my machine.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ jcintheus

Great track. This certainly shows that Lunetta has taken on new sonic territory.

Splendid... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jcintheus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
@ jcintheus

Great track. This certainly shows that Lunetta has taken on new sonic territory.

Splendid... Very Happy

Thank you!

I have a lot of fun doing this stuff, and I feel like there's some
real musical potential in it.
jcintheus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another one:

This uses an electric guitar, an LM386, and a 4046.
Also, there's a 4017/51 on pins 3 and 4 of the 4046.[/code]
Page 12 of 13 [311 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: