electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Melogitron 4000!
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Melogitron 4000!
Subject description: Anyone remember Slacker's melody generator?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the best introduction for this device is this video or the attached sound file Wink

It is based around slacker's melody generator circuit which uses a 4017 and 4051. I'll find a link to a forum post I made about that because I made some modifications which made it more tuneful ... Then some more which made it less tuneful Very Happy
Schematics coming soon! For now I'll give you a bit of an explanation, slacker's melody generator divides the input frequency by any integer between 2 and 9 ... I think ... maybe, 2 and 10, anyways it doesn't matter for now.
Then I added a 4040 frequency divider/binary counter which is clocked by the input frequency/2, this then controls the division of the initial frequency. So there is some kind of weird feedback loop going on there Very Happy It makes jolly spiffing sounds!
I have also added a 4001 NOR gate (any other of the usual gates could be used) to combine three oscillators for the initial frequency divider clock (using two of the gates) and then to get "space invaders mode" the /2, /4 and /8 outputs of the 4040 are combined with the remaining two gates.
Oh, and also, the output of the whole circuit comes from the /2 output of the 4040, otherwise it's not very square.

The oscillators get really spacey when two of their frequencies are very close together, the phasing waveform produced a sound as though the device is being modulated by a sine LFO! Very interesting indeed Smile

melogitron 4000 sound 1.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  melogitron 4000 sound 1.mp3
 Filesize:  7.73 MB
 Downloaded:  1229 Time(s)

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the chip count. That always seemed to be an issue in your inventions. Confused
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great weird sounds!, looking forward to see a schematic Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That video is awesome. Love those sounds. I also can't wait for a schematic
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
What about the chip count. That always seemed to be an issue in your inventions. Confused

I don't know who's inventions you have been looking at but a lot of mine have two or less! Laughing Perhaps the ones I have shared were a bit more complex, I'd say I average three chips per device Wink

This one has five, oscillators from a 40106 and CR networks, a 4017 and 4051 for the divider, a 4040 to give you the feedback control and the optional 4001 gates.

I'll get right on the schematics chaps Very Happy

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found my original schematics under a pile of datasheets and the remnants of today's delivery of components (I'm sure we're all familiar with the debris of small plastic bags and anti-static)

They are a bit messy so I will translate some of the illegible messy writ- I mean, secret code Cool
At the bottom thats a note about gating several oscillators for the input to the 4017, thats the trick to making those really interesting sounds Wink

There's also a messy circuit diagram of how my gates are connected at the bottom. I crossed some bits out because I realised they wouldn't work well or something like that.
The "1,2,3" on the inputs of the gates are the 3 oscillators. A SPDT switch is used on the 4017 input to change the clock input between one of the oscillators and the gated oscillators.
The output is achieved in a similar way; it is switched between the divide by 2 output of the 4040, and some outputs of the 4040 gated together, by a SPDT switch ... oh actually there's an unclear diagram of that at the bottom Smile

Also, "nana" is shorthand for 4mm Banana, as in banana sockets or plugs. Thats the patch bay you can see on the device.

I'll draw up a nice clear version eventually.

melogitron schematics messy.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.52 KB
 Viewed:  494 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

melogitron schematics messy.png

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dear JingleJoe, you are stark raving mad! Smile Do you get *any* sleep at all?! You just turn out one crazy idea after another, I can't keep up!

Anyway, I mean all that in a good way. Thanks for sharing your noisemakers with us.

If I may proffer one little piece of advice re your videos... a little more light on the subject, please.

Cheers,
James
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe, has anyone every told you that you have the voice of a nature documentary narrator? In your next video please say something along the lines of "The mother lion returns to her cubs with her latest kill."

Also, great sounding little machine! I like it. You have a knack for pushing cmos chips beyond just simple squarewave beeps.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you so much chaps Very Happy your comments have made my day and it is only 10:30 AM (already been reading about phase locked loops for about 3 quarters of an hour, still don't quite get it but I'll figure it out)
RingMad wrote:
Dear JingleJoe, you are stark raving mad! Smile Do you get *any* sleep at all?! You just turn out one crazy idea after another, I can't keep up!

Anyway, I mean all that in a good way. Thanks for sharing your noisemakers with us.

If I may proffer one little piece of advice re your videos... a little more light on the subject, please.

Cheers,
James

I do get sleep but not enough sleep Neutral
And I know I know, I allways realize I need more light afterwards, I live in the dark! I'll build an LED light with a joule thief especially for you RingMad Smile

Cynosure wrote:
JingleJoe, has anyone every told you that you have the voice of a nature documentary narrator? In your next video please say something along the lines of "The mother lion returns to her cubs with her latest kill."

Also, great sounding little machine! I like it. You have a knack for pushing cmos chips beyond just simple squarewave beeps.

Thanks! That is exactly what I try to do! Very Happy I'm glad someone thinks I have achieved it Very Happy
Also, okay; If I am in the right mood I'll do one of my videos in Attenborough mode Wink

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lovely little machine and it's just great to see someone exploring yet more soundmaking capabilities of these cmos chips.

And I would love to see some nice clean schematics. Im on your side with the whole experimental mental just build it side of things but I just wish I had fully documented my early cmos stuff, it's all just a mess now. I would be more than happy to add them to the link-o-rama.

And Cynosure, you're absolutely right, more attenborough! I would love to hear: " Layer upon layer upon layer of sediment". The way david attenborough manages to say that is by far the best bit of speech I've ever heard.

noise
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It took me all evening to do this for some reason Neutral messy schematics are much faster Smile
However I can have solace in that I built a ramshackle signal generator last evening because I was sick of making oscillators every time I wanted to test an audio circuit! It's only square wave but it uses 90% scavenged bits, the core is a 4060 from some broken electronics, basically a 4040 with built in oscillator Very Happy tried to build the oscillator to the datasheet component specs but they went out the window eventually and it still works Wink
I took the output from two of the divide-by outputs giving me a half frequency clock synced to the full frequency output Very Happy

melogitron schematics.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.31 KB
 Viewed:  17703 Time(s)

melogitron schematics.png

DSCN0645.JPG
 Description:
Pictured is my ramshackle variable power supply, powering the ramshackle frequency generator.
 Filesize:  3.2 MB
 Viewed:  348 Time(s)

DSCN0645.JPG

tony void

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed, JingleJoe, this is one of the best cmos based pieces around. A nice evolution of the classic Slacker MG!

This whole sub-forum is filled with maniac masters of creativity. I am always impressed!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tony void wrote:
Indeed, JingleJoe, this is one of the best cmos based pieces around. A nice evolution of the classic Slacker MG!

Thanks very much Very Happy

I recoreded another sample of the melogitron 4000 recently because I got it to do this really good wooshy sound I like, at a higher frequency, which is difficult. (see attachment)

melogitron 4000 sound 2.mp3
 Description:
knobs were turned, patch cables were re-patched, sound was made and it was good.

Download
 Filename:  melogitron 4000 sound 2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.92 MB
 Downloaded:  1147 Time(s)

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another good chip for a melody generator is the 4512. Plug its 8 data inputs with the outs from a 4040 and drive its AB and C controllers with a 4094 (or a set of oscillators or bits from anything really) and you'll get some great melodies.

Of course, you can use any data for the data inputs on the 4512; it could be a mix of oscillators and any audio level bits that are just awaiting their turn to "shine" when AB and C present their logic.

Simple yet extremely versatile. Not overly complicated and used quite often in my lunetta patches for inspiration.

This is in no way to be construed as a diss on the original concepts from slacker or Joe. Just sharing my experience in what I find to be one of the centerpieces in anyone's lunetta. Data selectors rule Cool

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is the 4512 a sort of binary multiplexer?

Draal

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep Smile . Give me 8 audio level sources and 3 control pins to select their order and I'm a happy man. I'm sure the creative minds here can think of what bits to put in AB and C; I like the 4094 because of its shifty nature to offer just the right amount of pseudo randomness to the "sequence".

I had a few on hand fro the challenge. Very similar to the 4051 in vibe.

screen-captureg-4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.63 KB
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

screen-captureg-4.png

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spiffing, th 4512 would work in place of the 4051 in the slacker melody generator or Melogitron 4000. Also, as an ANY gate Wink
I wonder if there is a version with two 4 channel ones in one chip?

Draal

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. Cd4555 and cd4556 dual 4 input buggers.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou, they are on my shopping list Smile

droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lovely sounds, I like the amount of variety you're getting there. More!

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: