electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Power for 16 Step Sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bassbrizzle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Power for 16 Step Sequencer
Subject description: I think I'm stupid.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having trouble understanding how to connect power to the sequencer. I'm new to electronics so that explains it, but I've been googling and searching these forums with no clear answers (maybe I'm slow).

What I thought I would have to do is connect a 12 volt source to the +12v and a ground to the ground. Is this right? What about the the power on the analog board? The instructions mention that only 4 connections are made between the digital and analog board and those don't include the power. So is power split off the source and into both the digital and analog board? Also what is the -12V for?

I'm sorry to just be so frank and ask for your help, but I've tried to figure it out for a while and I can't seem to make ends of it. I don't mean to be lazy, I would just like to finish the project now after it sitting idle for over a month bc I can't figure out the power supply Any suggestions for wallwart or connectors? Basically can you just help me figure out the power supply I would be ever so grateful. Again, sorry to be lazy, but I really have been trying to figure it out.
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There
There may well be people who can give you a much better answer than I can but what the hell - I'll make a start and maybe others will chip in and improve on my answer!
First of all don't worry about being stupid - it's where we all start.
I'd suggest Ray's comments here http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/forums.html?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&PROJARG=ELECTRONICS/gettingstarted.html&VPW=1263&VPH=500 are a good place to start.
What you need is a dual output power supply. Sounds slightly weird and worrying to begin with but you soon get used to it.
Whereas you are used to a power supply being ground and +9 or +12 volts for much synth DIY you need a power supply where the ground is effectively 0 volts with a positive potential on one side and a negative on the other.
Your power supply then has three wires - ground, +12v and -12v. Each board has 3 matching power connection points, gnd, -12v, +12v. There are 2 wires from the digital board to the panel but they are just running power to switches and grounding the board - the power for the module is arriving at the three pads on each board marked GND, -12v & +12v.
The MFOS wall wart power supply will do the job - just read Ray's pages carefully because the wall wart you need is not standard. You have to be very careful to get one with an AC secondary voltage - most standard adaptors are DC and won't work.
You will then need one of Ray's boards and to build your power supply. It's not difficult and once it's done it will run a number of modules depending on the rating of the wall wart and the power consumption of the modules.
Hope that starts to answer your question Smile
All the best
Ian
bassbrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cpt Biscuits,
Thank you so much! The dual power was my fundamental failure. You've illuminated my path!
bassbrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And just to clarify, I would run the +/-/gnd from the supply to both boards correct? Also, the link you sent is 404 so I've been reading on the diy on MFOS under the power supply section. Are there any catches to look out for that aren't necessarily mentioned in the text? Ray's instructions are good, but just like I missed the dual power I don't want to miss something and burn my house down.
Captain Biscuits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about that - just copied and pasted the address and forgot you would just get home page.

I meant to send you to Power Supplies, Wall Wart, and particularly to the explanation starting
"WHAT IS A DUAL OUTPUT SUPPLY AND WHY DO I NEED ONE? While attempting to help a diyer recently I discerned that they may not have understood the need for a dual supply. When I was just starting to learn electronics I was used to using a single supply myself. Not until I encountered synth-diy was I introduced to the dual supply concept some, shall we say larger than I can believe is possibly true, number of years ago."
which I guess you've found.

There's a bit just below that about wiring multiple modules in parallel. You basically treat the two boards as two modules and will be fine.

As far as I'm aware you will be hard pushed to burn your house down using the Wall Wart power supply. It's only when you move on to the adjustable supply where you have to wire in a mains transformer that you can mess up badly. I posted a link to the transformer I was planning to buy on the forum and was gently informed that it was wrong in pretty much every particular and someone kindly posted a link to a correct and better quality transformer which helped enormously Smile Power supply is working and house is still standing!

Ray does give good instructions and will answer emails if you are stuck and drop him a line.

Now you're aware of dual supplies you should be fine.

All the best

Ian
bassbrizzle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seriously, I can't thank you enough. You've inspired me again!
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: